Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IDE Extension Cable for 2.5 inch Hard Drive

Hi,

I have Googled for an IDE extension cable for 2.5 inch hard drive (used
in laptops), but I did not find a source.

Most important, the extension cable must have a male connector on
one end, and female on the other.

Does anyone know a source?

Thank You in advance, John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have Googled for an IDE extension cable for 2.5 inch hard drive (used
in laptops), but I did not find a source.

Most important, the extension cable must have a male connector on
one end, and female on the other.

Does anyone know a source?

Thank You in advance, John

I have little idea what is for sale, but you might more easily find a
F-F cable and also a F-M gender changer.

(Or are they called sex-changers, given that gender is a grammatical
term and refers to words, not to people or cable ends?)

Hi Micky,

I did not mention that I have an extension cable removed from a
broken laptop. This IDE extension has female connectors on both
ends.

WHY GENDER CHANGER WON'T WORK:

I thought about a gender changer until I noticed that the "key"
(blank spot, no pin connector) position was not in the center.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have Googled for an IDE extension cable for 2.5 inch hard drive (used
in laptops), but I did not find a source.

The trick is to search using Google Images, not to sift through the
web text search. Like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+ide+M-F+cable+-sata&tbm=isch
Note that I've excluded SATA from the search. Then, just look through
the images for something close.

Most important, the extension cable must have a male connector on
one end, and female on the other.

Does anyone know a source?

http://notebookcables.stores.yahoo.net/544pinidelap1.html
http://ja.aliexpress.com/item/IDE-44Pin-Cable-2-5-Laptop-hard-drive-Female-To-Male-Cable-8inch/309780041.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-IDE-44-Pin-laptop-HDD-Male-to-Female-Cable-2-inch-44-pin-M-F-cable-/180766687148
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-44-PIN-IDE-2-5-Hard-Drive-Cable-Adapter-Male-to-Female-5cm-Amiga-Laptop-/281426634750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item4186 55a7fe
http://www.iec.net/l1354.html
etc... etc... etc...

Hi Jeff,

UPDATE:

Thanks to you, I just ordered the cable from notebookcables....

Regards, John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 13:26:18 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 10:57:47 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 13:34:22 +0000, wrote:

WHY GENDER CHANGER WON'T WORK:

I thought about a gender changer until I noticed that the "key"
(blank spot, no pin connector) position was not in the center.

What I've done in the distant past was find a 44 pin header like this:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cablesonline_2268_133639889
and just cram it into one of the connectors. If there's a keying pin,
I just remove it from the header.

I think the point here, is that the header is now a mirror image of the
mating connector that is required. There has to be an inversion of the
sense of the connector, i.e. the header has to stick through the back of the
connector before engaging the female sockets, or it isn't a compatible
mate to the cable in the extension-cable sense.

Sure, but the header in the above URL, before a keying pin is removed,
is symmetrical and will both fit in any derangement. If a keying pin
is needed, just extract the pin from the header. The header shown is
simply crammed into a common F-F ribbon cable, turning it into an
extension cable.

I've done this successfully a few times when I needed an HD or FD
extension cable in an old monster tower case where the typical PC
ribbon cables are usually too short. The only headache was that the
header pins were slightly short, so I had to move the black plastic
base to the approximate middle of the pins.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

wrote:

[...]

Gotta call BS on this. That will connect pin 1 of the first cable to pin 2
of the connecting cable. Don't see how that could ever work.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Argh. Y'er right. Three cables and two sets of headers will work.
However, that's not what I did when I built the extensions. I'm on
vacation this week, but will dig into the box of ribbon cable junk
next week and see what I find.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Most important, the extension cable must have a male connector on
one end, and female on the other.

Does anyone know a source?

http://notebookcables.stores.yahoo.net/544pinidelap1.html
http://ja.aliexpress.com/item/IDE-44Pin-Cable-2-5-Laptop-hard-drive-Female-To-Male-Cable-8inch/309780041.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-IDE-44-Pin-laptop-HDD-Male-to-Female-Cable-2-inch-44-pin-M-F-cable-/180766687148
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-44-PIN-IDE-2-5-Hard-Drive-Cable-Adapter-Male-to-Female-5cm-Amiga-Laptop-/281426634750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item4186 55a7fe
http://www.iec.net/l1354.html
etc... etc... etc...

Hi Jeff,

UPDATE:

Thanks to you, I just ordered the cable from notebookcables....

Regards, John

WARNING/CAUTION:

I received the cable in the mail late yesterday. This "extension"
cable is DEFECTIVE.

The connectors are "out of phase". The top row of pin connectors
on the female side are connected to the bottom row of pin connectors
on the male side, and vise versa.

Note: If you "flip" the 2.5 inch hard drive, Pin #1 will end up
connecting to Pin #20, etc.

This cable came from Atlantic ComputerTech, 95 Horton Ave.,
Lynbrook, NY 11563.

I will call them after 8AM (now 7:25AM) about returning this cable
for a refund. I am afraid that all their cables may have the same problem.

If I have a problem getting a refund, I will report back.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I called Atlantic ComputerTech, and I had no problems
regarding making a return for refund or exchange.

It turns out there is a "true extension" version. Until now, I did
not know that there are two types of extensions.

CAUTION:

If you want a "true extension", the top pins on the female connector
are the top pins on the male connector, order FI2-X06M.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

WARNING/CAUTION:

I received the cable in the mail late yesterday. This "extension"
cable is DEFECTIVE.

The connectors are "out of phase". The top row of pin connectors
on the female side are connected to the bottom row of pin connectors
on the male side, and vise versa.

Note: If you "flip" the 2.5 inch hard drive, Pin #1 will end up
connecting to Pin #20, etc.

This cable came from Atlantic ComputerTech, 95 Horton Ave.,
Lynbrook, NY 11563.

I will call them after 8AM (now 7:25AM) about returning this cable
for a refund. I am afraid that all their cables may have the same problem.

If I have a problem getting a refund, I will report back.

John

This is not surprising - see my response to Jeff L. I think if you used
two of them for a total of three flat cables connected together, it may
work.

You don't want exceed a total length of 18" as that would exceed the
specification, so keep that in mind as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Hi,
Yes, if I ordered two of those extensions, the second one would
put the end connector back in "phase".

I did not know there are two types of extensions until now.

John