Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia[_2_] Allodoxaphobia[_2_] is offline

Default IDE Extension Cable for 2.5 inch Hard Drive

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:04:25 +0000, wrote:

WARNING/CAUTION:

I received the cable in the mail late yesterday. This "extension"
cable is DEFECTIVE.

The connectors are "out of phase". The top row of pin connectors
on the female side are connected to the bottom row of pin connectors
on the male side, and vise versa.

Note: If you "flip" the 2.5 inch hard drive, Pin #1 will end up
connecting to Pin #20, etc.

This cable came from Atlantic ComputerTech, 95 Horton Ave.,
Lynbrook, NY 11563.

I will call them after 8AM (now 7:25AM) about returning this cable
for a refund. I am afraid that all their cables may have the same problem.

If I have a problem getting a refund, I will report back.

This is not surprising - see my response to Jeff L. I think if you used
two of them for a total of three flat cables connected together, it may
work.

You don't want exceed a total length of 18" as that would exceed the
specification, so keep that in mind as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Yes, if I ordered two of those extensions, the second one would
put the end connector back in "phase".

I did not know there are two types of extensions until now.

heh... The Electronics Industry has taken a page from the Plumbing
Industry -- and you'll find there are WAY more than "two types of
extensions".

Jonesy