Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default IDE Extension Cable for 2.5 inch Hard Drive

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 10:57:47 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 13:34:22 +0000, wrote:

WHY GENDER CHANGER WON'T WORK:

I thought about a gender changer until I noticed that the "key"
(blank spot, no pin connector) position was not in the center.

What I've done in the distant past was find a 44 pin header like this:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cablesonline_2268_133639889
and just cram it into one of the connectors. If there's a keying pin,
I just remove it from the header.

I think the point here, is that the header is now a mirror image of the
mating connector that is required. There has to be an inversion of the
sense of the connector, i.e. the header has to stick through the back of the
connector before engaging the female sockets, or it isn't a compatible
mate to the cable in the extension-cable sense.