Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default On Again, Off Again Microphone

I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working?

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote:

I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working?

Model? Type?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote in
:

I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record
tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but
I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm
beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life
span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the
one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop
working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does
anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being
cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working?

Ron

Most of them consist of a FET transistor with the base floating, and
picking up signal capacitively. So any static spark can easely destroy
them, when you touch the connector.
BUT, they are cheap, and sensitive.
Handle with care.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sjouke Burry"

Most of them consist of a FET transistor with the base floating, and
picking up signal capacitively. So any static spark can easely destroy
them, when you touch the connector.

** Hog wash.

Electret mics are not subject to any such failure mode.

In any case, the OP's mic is probably dynamic.

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...0306_PM_EN.pdf

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Feb 12, 6:35 pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Sjouke Burry"

Most of them consist of a FET transistor with the base floating, and
picking up signal capacitively. So any static spark can easely destroy
them, when you touch the connector.

** Hog wash.

Electret mics are not subject to any such failure mode.

In any case, the OP's mic is probably dynamic.

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...ctManuals/3300...

.... Phil

Yep, that's the one. Funny how quickly they self-destruct. Almost
makes ya want to pay that extra five bucks for the extended
warranty....

Ron

___________________

"In the beginning was the rhythm, but I had forgotten and I was
waiting for the word."

-- Ray Manzarek --

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron"
"Phil Allison"
"Sjouke Burry"

Most of them consist of a FET transistor with the base floating, and
picking up signal capacitively. So any static spark can easely destroy
them, when you touch the connector.

** Hog wash.

Electret mics are not subject to any such failure mode.

In any case, the OP's mic is probably dynamic.

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...ctManuals/3300...

Yep, that's the one. Funny how quickly they self-destruct.

** The mic capsule is very small and the impedance is 600ohms = lotsa hair
fine wire used in the voice coil.

Hair fine copper wire PLUS crappy Pb free solder = recipe for sudden
failures.

Hint: It's the flux....

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:13:05 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote:
I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working? Ron

Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a month, it works again for a while?

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:13:05 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote:
I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record
tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I
want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning
to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll
work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is
working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week
or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these
microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a
simple way to keep them working? Ron

Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a
month, it works again for a while?

Ron

Intermittent.

Take one apart. Got VOM ?

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:13:05 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote:
I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record tapes
on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want
one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to
notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll
work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is
working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or
more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these
microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a
simple way to keep them working? Ron

Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a
month, it works again for a while?

Ron

Is it a condenser mic? They use batteries.

Mic input on the recorder could have broken solder connections.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

gregz wrote:

Ron wrote:
[...]

If it has a battery, corrosion in the battery compartment is the most
likely cause. Whilst zinc-carbon batteries produce corrosion that is
usually fairly obvious, the corrosion from alkaline batteries is
sometime impossible to see. Luckily it is easy to remove with a cloth
dampened with tap water or with a wetted nylon scouring pad.

Don't forget to clean the battery as well as the contacts in the holder.
If that cures it, throw away the original battery and buy a good quality
one.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:44:26 PM UTC-8, GS wrote:
Ron wrote: On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:13:05 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote: I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working? Ron Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a month, it works again for a while? Ron Intermittent. Take one apart. Got VOM ? Greg

Not these days-- a sad story I wont bore you with. But if I had one, what would I be looking for? It's pretty certain that I'll buy one again, and it won't last any longer than an ice cube on a hot day. :-)

Ron

__________________

"Some success, some failure; but either way the gnawing hunger to know is never sated, and the road to the Unknown continues to be dark and strange."

–– Control Voice (The Outer Limits) ––

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote: On Tuesday, February 12, 2013
[...]

Continuity. You should also hear clicking using a meter. Lightly pushing
around the mic element might make the connection good for some instant, or
it might temporally fix itself. Put leads on connector while doing this,
and also watch meter.
I would rather use an analog meter. The wires on the mic are very small.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote: On Tuesday, February 12, 2013
[...]

This is pretty much curiosity, it's unlikely you can fix mic element. I
don't think the switch is bad, but it could be the cable connection.

Greg