Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_5_] Sjouke Burry[_5_] is offline

Default On Again, Off Again Microphone

Ron wrote in
:

I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record
tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but
I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm
beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life
span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the
one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop
working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does
anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being
cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working?

Ron

Most of them consist of a FET transistor with the base floating, and
picking up signal capacitively. So any static spark can easely destroy
them, when you touch the connector.
BUT, they are cheap, and sensitive.
Handle with care.