Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default On Again, Off Again Microphone

Ron wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:13:05 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote:
I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record
tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I
want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning
to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll
work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is
working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week
or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these
microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a
simple way to keep them working? Ron

Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a
month, it works again for a while?

Ron

Intermittent.

Take one apart. Got VOM ?