Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default On Again, Off Again Microphone

Ron wrote:
Ron wrote: On Tuesday, February 12, 2013
4:13:05 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote: I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack
cassette microphone to record tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I
don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one
only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio
Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few
weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I
don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or
it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones
are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple
way to keep them working? Ron Okay... I see why they fail, but why
the failure, then after a week or a month, it works again for a while?
Ron Intermittent. Take one apart. Got VOM ? Greg

Not these days-- a sad story I wont bore you with. But if I had one, what
would I be looking for? It's pretty certain that I'll buy one again, and
it won't last any longer than an ice cube on a hot day. :-)

Ron

Continuity. You should also hear clicking using a meter. Lightly pushing
around the mic element might make the connection good for some instant, or
it might temporally fix itself. Put leads on connector while doing this,
and also watch meter.
I would rather use an analog meter. The wires on the mic are very small.

Greg