Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default On Again, Off Again Microphone

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:44:26 PM UTC-8, GS wrote:
Ron wrote: On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:13:05 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote: I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working? Ron Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a month, it works again for a while? Ron Intermittent. Take one apart. Got VOM ? Greg

Not these days-- a sad story I wont bore you with. But if I had one, what would I be looking for? It's pretty certain that I'll buy one again, and it won't last any longer than an ice cube on a hot day. :-)

Ron

"Some success, some failure; but either way the gnawing hunger to know is never sated, and the road to the Unknown continues to be dark and strange."

–– Control Voice (The Outer Limits) ––