Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default electric motor oil

Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The original
1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp motor in, but
the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I had a surplus 1/3 hp
motor I bought. It turned in the wrong direction so I reversed the stator.
It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up for next winter. The
biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the fan blades because the
stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back pretty good. Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bw bw is offline

"Jon" wrote in message
m...
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

http://turbolab.tamu.edu/uploads/fil...3/P23Tut02.pdf

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are oils which are intended for use with fractional-HP motor sleeve
bearings, although many 5W or other light-duty oils are suitable.
Definitely not gear lube.

If the motor does have sleeve bearings (probably does) there may be marks on
the end bells to indicate where the oil wick *windows* are located, or marks
to indicate to indicate which direction loads should be applied to avoid the
oil windows, if the blower utilizes a drive belt.
Normally, motors equipped with ball bearings are marked as such on the data
tag/label, and ball bearings typically can't be lubricated on light-duty
motors.
If the blower is direct-drive (no belt) then the markings aren't as
significant (pointed up if present prevents the stopped shaft from resting
on the least amount of bearing surface available.

Seasonal use motors can present problems while sitting unused for long
periods, such as the oil drying out/creeping away from the oil wicks from
the accumulated dust from the previous season.. so generally, a better time
to do preventive maintenance is before the season of use begins.

Used motors of unknown previous use and/or age may have dried out oil wicks
or oil that's turned waxy from age.
Adding excessive lubrication can cause other problems.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Jon" wrote in message
m...
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The original
1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp motor in,
but the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I had a surplus 1/3
hp motor I bought. It turned in the wrong direction so I reversed the
stator. It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up for next
winter. The biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the fan blades
because the stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back pretty good.
Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jon wrote:

Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The original
1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp motor in, but
the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I had a surplus 1/3 hp
motor I bought. It turned in the wrong direction so I reversed the stator.
It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up for next winter. The
biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the fan blades because the
stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back pretty good. Jon

Not gear oil, at least not hypoid gear oil. Not 3 in 1 either, because
it's vegetable based and turns to varnish. I'd vote for normal engine
oil.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jon" wrote in message
m...
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The original
1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp motor in,
but the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I had a surplus 1/3
hp motor I bought. It turned in the wrong direction so I reversed the
stator. It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up for next
winter. The biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the fan blades
because the stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back pretty good.
Jon

I've used this for years on just about anything that needed it, including my
furnace blower motor, which is now 15 years old.
The extendable spout is quite handy.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MAR...A76?Pid=search

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 4, 11:25*pm, "Jon" wrote:
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? *Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). *The original
1/3 hp motor blew up. *The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp motor in, but
the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. *I had a surplus 1/3 hp
motor I bought. *It turned in the wrong direction so I reversed the stator.
It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up for next winter. *The
biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the fan blades because the
stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back pretty good. *Jon

That will teach you to listn to a repair person. He probably had a
1/4 motor that he wanted to sell, it's not often that a mfgr will put
a 1/3 hp motor in something that could get by with a 1/4 hp motor,
they're not nearly a dumb as they sometimes appear. ! use 20W motor
oil in a squeeze oil can to lube my blower motor. I was able to get
some small tubing into the lube holes at both ends of the motor and
bring them up to where its convenient for me to reach without having
to move any part of the motor assemb;y. This is a belt drive blower
so MUCH easier to work on. I try to oil it at the beginning and
midponts of both the heating and cooling seasons, 4x per year.
Present motor has been in for 10+ years, the original motor lasted at
least 25 years, probably 35 years.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Klaatu" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
[...]

I use the teles-oil version by GC. I often lubricate ordinary fans with
that very useful spout. Some motors could work well with a heavier oil of
non detergent sae 30 .

some furnace fans have adjustable belt speed, but be careful not to make it
go too fast overheating the motor. You can either feel the motor heat, and
or measure current.

Greg
Junior Member

As for me, i prefer this one of CRC for many years https://mrosupply.com/product/692676...il_2_Cycle_Oil and use it for my lawn mover. This oil is designed for small horsepower engines (25 horsepower or less) work in injector/fuel lubricant engines.

Good luck!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The
original 1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp
motor in, but the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I had a
surplus 1/3 hp motor I bought. It turned in the wrong direction so I
reversed the stator. It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up
for next winter. The biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the
fan blades because the stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back
pretty good. Jon

Sewing machine oil.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote in
:

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be
better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The
original 1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4
hp motor in, but the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I
had a surplus 1/3 hp motor I bought. It turned in the wrong
direction so I reversed the stator. It worked ok all last winter but
I want it lubed up for next winter. The biggest problem is keeping
the wires away from the fan blades because the stator is reversed,
but I've got them tied back pretty good. Jon

Sewing machine oil.

Typically too thin. How about electric motor oil?:

http://www.amazon.com/3-IN-ONE-10045.../dp/B00065VGUC

Doug White
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Doug White wrote:
amdx wrote in
:

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
[...]

are there any brands of oil such at this that don't come in a completely
****ty, drippy, leaking plastic container?

I no longer use 3-in-1 due to the ****ty plastic sieves they come in.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote in news:ju1h4f$sgs$1
@reader1.panix.com:

Doug White wrote:
amdx wrote in
:

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
[...]

I bought mine can when they were metal, and haven't had an issue. I only
use a half dozen drops a year.

Unless you have a time machine, that's probably not an option for most.

Doug White
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Doug White wrote:
Cydrome wrote in news:ju1h4f$sgs$1
@reader1.panix.com:

(...)

I no longer use 3-in-1 due to the ****ty plastic sieves they come in.

I bought mine can when they were metal, and haven't had an issue. I only
use a half dozen drops a year.

Unless you have a time machine, that's probably not an option for most.

Advise purchase a bottle of Triflow:
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Sup...rior_drip.html

The screw-on cap eliminates the nasty drips.
And it is a terrific oil, too.

--Winston

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jon" wrote in message
m...

Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

***Its worth bearing in mind that motor oil contains a multitude of
additives that may not be very useful for an electric motor bearings - It
contans various detergents/anti sludging ingredients, anti-frothing
additives and sprung coiled polimers to give the multigrade property (that I
know of).

***Under the circumstances, gear oil may be less inappropriate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 07/06/2012 05:14 PM, Doug White wrote:
amdx wrote in
:

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
[...]

I prefer Mobil One 0W30. It is thin, to work itself
in tight bearings. Has detergent additives to dissolve
any old oil left in the bearings. And has a tough
synthetic base.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
[...]

Unless you've previously used vegetable oil (like 3 in 1) any previous oil
will simply be diluted - the detergents in sump oil won't do a thing to
varnish left by vegetable oil.

Plain brass-alloy bearings need high film strength oil - if you must use
sump oil, use the high film strength stuff they sell for diesel engines.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
[...]

Detergent oil is NOT recommended for applications where you don't have
forced circulation & a filter. The detergent keeps particles in
suspension so a car filter can remove them. In other devices, it just
keeps any garbage floating around, adding wear.

Doug White
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
[...]

True, the impurities that are mostly old congealed oil,
that is not necessarily abrasive, will be dissolved.
Repeated oilings will eventually flush it out.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Winston wrote:
Doug White wrote:
Cydrome wrote in news:ju1h4f$sgs$1
@reader1.panix.com:

(...)

I no longer use 3-in-1 due to the ****ty plastic sieves they come in.

I bought mine can when they were metal, and haven't had an issue. I only
use a half dozen drops a year.

Unless you have a time machine, that's probably not an option for most.

Advise purchase a bottle of Triflow:
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Sup...rior_drip.html

The screw-on cap eliminates the nasty drips.
And it is a terrific oil, too.

I may need to get some more of that.

The last time I used Tri-flow, it was in a round plastic contailer that
had bright orange on it, I think it even came with a needle point, but
that may be fantasy.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:

(...)

Advise purchase a bottle of Triflow:
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Sup...rior_drip.html

The screw-on cap eliminates the nasty drips.
And it is a terrific oil, too.

I may need to get some more of that.

The last time I used Tri-flow, it was in a round plastic contailer that
had bright orange on it, I think it even came with a needle point, but
that may be fantasy.

No idea. I was introduced to Triflow in the nifty black bottle.

I resurrected a Freecycle sewing machine just by applying Tri-flow
to all the marked oil ports and wherever I saw contacting metal
in relative motion. That machine went from completely frozen to
quiet and smooth functionality in very short order.

It is good stuff, Cydrome.

--Winston

3-in-1 oil in an electric motor Ed Home Repair 27 August 4th 19 02:28 AM
Horsepower of electric motor V/S Size of motor [email protected] Home Repair 17 December 3rd 11 10:23 AM
Help electric motor Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 4 July 3rd 09 05:39 PM
Electric motor Oren Home Repair 12 November 2nd 07 01:46 AM
electric motor help William Wixon Metalworking 9 February 24th 06 04:50 AM