Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default electric motor oil

There are oils which are intended for use with fractional-HP motor sleeve
bearings, although many 5W or other light-duty oils are suitable.
Definitely not gear lube.

If the motor does have sleeve bearings (probably does) there may be marks on
the end bells to indicate where the oil wick *windows* are located, or marks
to indicate to indicate which direction loads should be applied to avoid the
oil windows, if the blower utilizes a drive belt.
Normally, motors equipped with ball bearings are marked as such on the data
tag/label, and ball bearings typically can't be lubricated on light-duty
motors.
If the blower is direct-drive (no belt) then the markings aren't as
significant (pointed up if present prevents the stopped shaft from resting
on the least amount of bearing surface available.

Seasonal use motors can present problems while sitting unused for long
periods, such as the oil drying out/creeping away from the oil wicks from
the accumulated dust from the previous season.. so generally, a better time
to do preventive maintenance is before the season of use begins.

Used motors of unknown previous use and/or age may have dried out oil wicks
or oil that's turned waxy from age.
Adding excessive lubrication can cause other problems.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Jon" wrote in message
m...
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The original
1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp motor in,
but the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I had a surplus 1/3
hp motor I bought. It turned in the wrong direction so I reversed the
stator. It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up for next
winter. The biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the fan blades
because the stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back pretty good.
Jon