Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default electric motor oil

Cydrome Leader wrote in news:ju1h4f$sgs$1
@reader1.panix.com:

Doug White wrote:
amdx wrote in
:

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be
better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The
original 1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4
hp motor in, but the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I
had a surplus 1/3 hp motor I bought. It turned in the wrong
direction so I reversed the stator. It worked ok all last winter but
I want it lubed up for next winter. The biggest problem is keeping
the wires away from the fan blades because the stator is reversed,
but I've got them tied back pretty good. Jon

Sewing machine oil.

Typically too thin. How about electric motor oil?:

http://www.amazon.com/3-IN-ONE-10045.../dp/B00065VGUC

Doug White

are there any brands of oil such at this that don't come in a

completely
****ty, drippy, leaking plastic container?

I no longer use 3-in-1 due to the ****ty plastic sieves they come in.

I bought mine can when they were metal, and haven't had an issue. I only
use a half dozen drops a year.

Unless you have a time machine, that's probably not an option for most.

Doug White