Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx amdx is offline

Default electric motor oil

On 7/4/2012 11:25 PM, Jon wrote:
Please advise me.

What kind of oil should I use for a 1/3 hp electric motor?

The motor bearings have oil ports.

Can't I just use regular automotive motor oil? Would gear oil be better?

It's the fan motor for my electric furnace (squirrel cage). The
original 1/3 hp motor blew up. The furnace guy insisted I put a 1/4 hp
motor in, but the capacitor blew and the 1/4 hp motor blew up. I had a
surplus 1/3 hp motor I bought. It turned in the wrong direction so I
reversed the stator. It worked ok all last winter but I want it lubed up
for next winter. The biggest problem is keeping the wires away from the
fan blades because the stator is reversed, but I've got them tied back
pretty good. Jon

Sewing machine oil.
Mikek