Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Audio cassette alignment tape

Does anyone know where I can get an audio cassette alignment tape of
good quality at a reasonable price? I have heard that the ones sold by
places like MCM and Electronix and on Ebay are crap. Teac used to make
them but I don't have any further information as to if they still do
or the cost. Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I used to have a Nakamichi, but it was sold when I sold my Nakamichi deck.
They do show up occasionally; good luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 17, 5:18*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get an audio cassette alignment tape of
good quality at a reasonable price? I have heard that the ones sold by
places like MCM and Electronix and on Ebay are crap. Teac used to make
them but I don't have any further information as to if they still do
or the cost. Thanks, Lenny

You can make one if you have a high-quality tape deck, Just record
some of the higher frequencies in the range of 4K and above, and use
that to align your subject tape heads. Should be no problem if you
have a audio generator and a good tape deck to make the master
alignment tape.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get an audio cassette alignment tape of
good quality at a reasonable price? I have heard that the ones sold by
places like MCM and Electronix and on Ebay are crap. Teac used to make
them but I don't have any further information as to if they still do
or the cost. Thanks, Lenny

You can make one if you have a high-quality tape deck, Just record
some of the higher frequencies in the range of 4K and above, and use
that to align your subject tape heads. Should be no problem if you
have a audio generator and a good tape deck to make the master
alignment tape.

+++++

Check on at least one other good machine that the outputs are balanced, in
case the "good" one is not.
Then make a number of alignment tapes at the same time.
Preferably at a few different f-counter checked frequencies, if you can be
sure the speed of the "good" deck is in fact good, ie output beat
frequencies checked against at least one other good machine .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You can make one if you have a high-quality tape deck, Just record
some of the higher frequencies in the range of 4K and above, and use
that to align your subject tape heads. Should be no problem if you
have a audio generator and a good tape deck to make the master
alignment tape.

This reminds me of the joke about the town that set its public clock when
the local fort fired its canon at noon. The fort, of course, fired the canon
when the clock struck 12:00.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

An old Advent tape might be satisfactory. Advent was the first company to
make recorded cassettes to a high standard, and their head alignment is
probably close to "perfect".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
You can make one if you have a high-quality tape deck, Just record
some of the higher frequencies in the range of 4K and above, and use
that to align your subject tape heads. Should be no problem if you
have a audio generator and a good tape deck to make the master
alignment tape.

This reminds me of the joke about the town that set its public clock when
the local fort fired its canon at noon. The fort, of course, fired the

canon
when the clock struck 12:00.

Then last year in the media they said that the National Physical Laboratory,
Teddington, UK had the world's most accurate atomic clock, which begs the
question .....

/

/

/

/
How do they know? without the paradox of a more accurate one to check it
against

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 18, 6:59*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
You can make one if you have a high-quality tape deck, *Just record
some of the higher frequencies in the range of 4K and above, and use
that to align your subject tape heads. *Should be no problem if you
have a audio generator and a good tape deck to make the master
alignment tape.

This reminds me of the joke about the town that set its public clock when
the local fort fired its canon at noon. The fort, of course, fired the canon
when the clock struck 12:00.

I have an old Yamaha that is a spare machine. It has always seemed to
sound "good" however I never really ran any tones through it to see
what playback looks like. I'll have to investigate using that one as
my "standard". Back in the 70's I used to align Ampex and Scully
professional tape recorders and could A B an output pretty closely by
ear. The last few years though the high frequencies have been rolling
off, (between my ears) and so now even 10KHZ is difficult to perceive.
So I really can't rely on "what seems to sound good" to me any more. I
thought that music sounded reasonably good on the faulty channel of
the Teac until I looked at the meter while running tones. I'd still
like to find a commercial alignment tape though. I have several old
reel to reel alignment tapes made by Ampex and Nortronics I think but
nothing for cassettes. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

++++

For tape speed checking/adjustment I've used the following for the last
year, perhaps 5 repairs and no bounces from any of them, so presumably
perceived as correct speed.
(My speed test tape is old , slightly ruffled and maybe stretched )

I found a large quantity of salvaged capstans+spindles.
26 off on my mic (rather than callipers before) measure 1.99 +/-0.01 of
reading accuracy and 2 nearer 2.00
5 off measure 1.79mm
1 at 2.19mm
9 measure 2.49mm
(A sampling of these measured by a mechanical engineer measured at
62 degree F and agree with my figures, ie 0.01mm less than round number))
The machine in question uses 2.49. Either spindles or bearings would have to
be an off-size for free movement, so presumably sintered metal bearings
are (easier?) made round number size and spindles made 0.01mm smaller
diameter and
speed of rotation adjusted just as easily to that as any other speed.
Assuming it is actually 2.5mm then doing the maths and strobing with quartz
f-meter calibrated strobe then my test tapes are 0.4 percent out from
calculation via 15/8 ips etc.
spindle rotation speed of 6.05 rev per second with an error of about 0.4
percent , needs longer gate time or repeating more times to bring that
accuracy up (rounding errors? so probably longer gate time required than my
meter has).
If 2.49 diameter then 0.6 percent out.
Hopefully will revise these figures when I get a bit of cross-calibrated
engineering
accuracy but above is probably fairly representative and scale
for the different spindle diameters.
I used a white LED on a stable audio genarator coupled to f counter.
I found monitoring strobe at 6 Hz difficult but just painting
"tip ex" over about 1/4 circumf of capstan and monitoring for strobing
at 4 times frequency was much easier and better for the f meter gate time
also.
Not as obvious as exact strobing, you have to monitor the relative
flaring-up
and monitor direction/change of its drift.
Another possibility as a test tape - record some constant tone, any f, on a
few minutes of tape, pull out a long length and pass a small magnet over two
parts
a measured distance apart. retract, and then time the interval between dips
in play mode (not tried).
Where no rear access and have to strobe from the front , assuming enough
space for this
add-on. 12 or 16 or 20 pin smal plastic cog, Fit to a plastic cylindrer to
drill an
undersixe hole to the capstan spindle size. Mark one quarter segment black.
Cut into anyold
cassette casing to reveal the area that the spindle and pinch wheel goes
into. Unfortunately usually no more than 1mm
of free space over the pinch wheel. So a dot of hotmelt glue to hold well
enough to
test speed. Place this cassette in th edeck and deck in play and switch off
power , leaving pinch wheel
touching spindle , to stick this cog in place. Knowing the diameter of the
spindle
and scaling , eg for 2.19mm diameter then 27.52 Hz on f monitored sig gen
for
4 strobe "spokes" in use at x4 frequency.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article 87a2aa8a-5200-4af2-80ab-
,
says...

Does anyone know where I can get an audio cassette alignment tape of
good quality at a reasonable price? I have heard that the ones sold by
places like MCM and Electronix and on Ebay are crap. Teac used to make
them but I don't have any further information as to if they still do
or the cost. Thanks, Lenny

You can get them from he
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/basftapes.html

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 18, 9:29*am, klem kedidelhopper
thought that music sounded reasonably good on the faulty channel of
the Teac until I looked at the meter while running tones.

Adjust the meter trimmer until is sounds better...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
*I

thought that music sounded reasonably good on the faulty channel of
the Teac until I looked at the meter while running tones.

Adjust the meter trimmer until is sounds better...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John

Isn't that remedy sort of like turning up the radio when the engine
knock becomes unbearable?
Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
*I

thought that music sounded reasonably good on the faulty channel of
the Teac until I looked at the meter while running tones.

Adjust the meter trimmer until is sounds better...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John

Wow, I guess that I wasn't prepared for the steep price tag. It's been
awhile since I've aligned a tape machine. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
*I

thought that music sounded reasonably good on the faulty channel of
the Teac until I looked at the meter while running tones.

Adjust the meter trimmer until is sounds better...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John

Isn't that remedy sort of like turning up the radio when the engine
knock becomes unbearable?
Lenny

What's wrong with that? It is only a problem when you try to sell the
carG.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

Being accurate also should mean it's stable. Compare the drift rate to many
other drifters.

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Being accurate also should mean it's stable. Compare the drift
rate to many other drifters.

Or the Platters. Or the Spinners.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
*I

thought that music sounded reasonably good on the faulty channel of
the Teac until I looked at the meter while running tones.

Adjust the meter trimmer until is sounds better...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John

Wow, I guess that I wasn't prepared for the steep price tag. It's been
awhile since I've aligned a tape machine. Lenny

Speaking of alignment tapes and such; i would like to find 1/4 inch open
reel (7") alignment tape. I am still way uncomfortable with dipping into
eprey/preypal. I dream of getting replacement headstacks for my old old
Ampex AX-300. Last i saw, a full set of six was about 1800 U$.

?-/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

gregz wrote in message
..
..
"N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

I never did see the answer
I must try and get someone from the NPL for the Sci Caf talks I organise
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/scicaf.htm

I suspect the supraluminal neutrinos thing is something the American
military has not divulged concerning GPS relativity corrections and their
own alterations for allowing civilian use, and then wrong distance between
source and receiver.
After all the neutrino peak from that Large Magellanic Cloud supernova a few
earth years ago arrived at the same time as the light flux peak and that had
been travelling how many thousands of light years?
And the neutrinos from a super-nova, I suspect, are far more energetic than
anything the LHC could concoct.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/01/2012 23:18, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get an audio cassette alignment tape of
good quality at a reasonable price? I have heard that the ones sold by
places like MCM and Electronix and on Ebay are crap. Teac used to make
them but I don't have any further information as to if they still do
or the cost. Thanks, Lenny

Random thought.

Wouldn't lining up against a fixed head 'MP3 cassette adaptor' be pretty
spot on, a good quality one without a wobbly slanting head?

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wouldn't lining up against a fixed head 'MP3 cassette adaptor' be
pretty spot on, a good quality one without a wobbly slanting head?

In a word... NO. An even better word is one you hear on "Antiques Road
Show" -- provenance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 21, 4:42*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Wouldn't lining up against a fixed head 'MP3 cassette adaptor' be
pretty spot on, a good quality one without a wobbly slanting head?

In a word... NO. An even better word is one you hear on "Antiques Road
Show" -- provenance.

When you do a playback head and equalization alignment you are setting
a standard for comparing your record head, (in a three head machine)
and it's associated electronics. If there is any guess work involved
in the playback alignment procedure then there can be no confidence in
anything else that you do. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/17/2012 3:18 PM, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get an audio cassette alignment tape of
good quality at a reasonable price? I have heard that the ones sold
by places like MCM and Electronix and on Ebay are crap. Teac used to
make them but I don't have any further information as to if they
still do or the cost. Thanks, Lenny

The best cassette alignment test tapes were made by STL, but they are
long gone. Abex & Teac made decent ones (Abex made them for Teac), but I
think production has been discontinued (you could try Ebay for any of
the above - you might get lucky). AFAIK, the only company still
currently producing true "pro" quality cassette alignment tapes is JRF,
but they are very expensive.

Reasonably priced good quality new ones are still available from
Sony by special order, but you might have to buy more than one tape
depending on your needs (some frequency response test tapes can be use
to set level and azimuth as well, but I haven't tried this with Sony tapes):

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Sony/Sony/891806043/New.aspx [freq.
response]

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Sony/Sony/781901611/New.aspx [azimuth
adjust]

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Sony/Sony/781901111/New.aspx [level adjust]

You should verify these part numbers with Sony before ordering. Sony
might have other test tapes (speed adjust, Dolby cal, etc.) ...contact
them for part numbers and availability.

Cassette tape component Puddin' Man Electronics Repair 11 September 23rd 10 07:30 PM
Looking for tape-path alignment mirror cassette Adrian Glaubitz Electronics Repair 1 August 23rd 07 11:45 PM
SONY Dual Cassette Tape Deck would not Eject Tape AVFan Electronics Repair 2 October 26th 06 03:18 PM
Old audio cassette won't play [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 August 13th 06 04:34 PM
Cassette Tape Player indago Electronics Repair 0 September 29th 03 12:36 PM