Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old audio cassette won't play

I have an old audio cassette that I was going to transfer to my
computer.
It's probably about 20 years old.
When I play it in my cassette player it rolls very slow and uneven
which of course does not play well.
I can FF and REW it with no problem, and if I feel it by hand I don't
feel anything particular.
Is there any way to make the tape run smoother without risking the
contents of the tape?
Can I apply some kind of oil somewhere for example?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old audio cassette that I was going to transfer to my
computer.
It's probably about 20 years old.
When I play it in my cassette player it rolls very slow and uneven
which of course does not play well.
I can FF and REW it with no problem, and if I feel it by hand I don't
feel anything particular.
Is there any way to make the tape run smoother without risking the
contents of the tape?
Can I apply some kind of oil somewhere for example?

The solution is certainly not oil anywhere. You need to locate the real
source of the problem. If the machine can wind it and rewind it ok, the
problem must be related to the way that the capstan and / or pinch roller in
the machine are interacting with the tape. I'm assuming that the machine
plays tapes other than this one ok ?

If the pinch roller in the machine has gone a bit hard and shiny, it may be
that it's just not getting a good grip on this particular tape, and the
solution might be as simple as resurfacing and cleaning the roller. Does the
machine play all other tapes ok ? Have you tried the tape in another machine
?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in news:1155022039.317533.160660
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I have an old audio cassette that I was going to transfer to my
computer.
It's probably about 20 years old.
When I play it in my cassette player it rolls very slow and uneven
which of course does not play well.
I can FF and REW it with no problem, and if I feel it by hand I don't
feel anything particular.
Is there any way to make the tape run smoother without risking the
contents of the tape?
Can I apply some kind of oil somewhere for example?

Oil? You want to oil an audio cassette cartridge? Your kidding me, right?

If the tape medium itself is shot then there is not much you can do about
it short of sending it to the FBI and begging them to restore it for you.
You will of course have to concoct some sort of a crime story around the
tape to gain their interest and then perjury charges will apply when they
find out you were BSing them.

What you do is this. Go find some very cheap, new cassette tapes, the kind
with small screws that hold them together in the corners. Open up the new
tape carefully and put the top aside for a moment. Now CAREFULLY open your
bad tape slowly by splitting the seem all the way around with a box knife.
When you get your old tape open, carefully remove the two reels of tape and
put them into the new cartridge. Align everything correctly and then put
the top back on the "new" tape with the small screws provided. Now try
fully rewinding and fast forwarding the tape and with any luck at all, it
will now play.

Cannot vouch for the quality of the recording though. You take a chance
with that but if you do what I said, you will have caused no harm and still
have the tape to try and clean up by connecting the output of your tape
player to the line in jack of your PC. Capture the audio to your computer
and then run some software on it to clean it up. There is a myriad of audio
softwares out there so take your pick.

Good luck.

--
~Ohmster
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I can help you, please send me a private mail, DO NOT apply any lubricant!
I will explain how to do it.(i used to repair tapes in the 80's)

Bart Bervoets

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"Bart Bervoets" wrote in message
I can help you, please send me a private mail, DO NOT apply any lubricant!
I will explain how to do it.(i used to repair tapes in the 80's)

Bart Bervoets

Why can't you reveal your secret here?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Just a random idea, since I don't play with tapes much. Wouldn't it
help to unreel the tape and drape it out in big folds across the floor
or across some handy furniture? The idea being to reduce to nearly zero
the friction that the shiny pinch roller has to overcome as it pulls the
tape off the supply reel. Yes, you would have to be careful that the
now-unreeled tape feeds into the pinch roller at the correct angle, but
that isn't hard. Might even have to add just a smidge of drag, though I
don't think so. What say, all you experts?

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Hi Bill...

Respectfully suggest that the same thing can be accomplished
far more easily, and much safer by just FF'ing and re-winding
from end to end a few times

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I have a few old tapes that I would like to
transcribe, but can't. Somehow, the first 2/3 of the tape will feed
through the player OK, but then it begins to slow down and eventually
stop. I have tried them on a number of players, and I grant you that
they are all pretty crappy players, but it appears that the FF-Rewind
trick somehow tightens the tape on the inside of the supply reel more
than on the outside of the reel. Or maybe I'm theorizing in the
entirely wrong arena? I haven't tried looping the tape out over the
floor, as I suggested, but was hoping to find someone who had.

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bill Jeffrey" wrote in message
Ken Weitzel wrote:

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

[...]

Try, as someone else suggested, putting them in another cassette first. Odds
of the tape getting damaged outside the cassette is high.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Bill Jeffrey wrote:
Ken Weitzel wrote:

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

[...]

this sounds typical of tape with a poor binder or which has hydrolised.
As a result it produces excessive friction on the tape path and the
pinch roller struggles to play it evenly. result is bad `wow`.
Many times, the start of the tape plays ok due to the increased spool
torque on the empty take up reel, which assists slightly in pulling the
tape through the machine, which helps compensate for a pinch roller
which is struggling. However as the spool fills up this is no longer
the case. you can see this if you play the tape and momentarily stop
the take up spool with a finger . If the tape (or the pinch roller) is
in bad condition , the speed drops or varies.
try a decent deck, or one with a new pinch roller which can grip the
tape well; they often cope better than cheap ones in such
cases.Otherwise baking may help....

-B/.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article . com, "b" wrote:

Bill Jeffrey wrote:
Ken Weitzel wrote:

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

[...]

I do remember having taking a cloth, sprayed silicon spray on it and wiping posts.
It did help.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have several BASF cassette tapes that no longer play on three of my
cassette machines. However, if I run these cassettes on my 3m/Wollensak
2520 cassette recorder I bought from a school district auction, it
plays perfectly. Here's what I have found on the BASF cassettes
themselves: the tension on the felt pad in the cassette housing is less
than it should be. On my Wollensak machine, the tape heads actually
protrude farther into the cassette housing making perfect contact with
the felt pad.

If you have some cassettes that just don't play I's suggest finding a
nice heavy duty Wollensak/3m/Recordex unit at a school district auction.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken Layton" ) writes:
I have several BASF cassette tapes that no longer play on three of my
cassette machines. However, if I run these cassettes on my 3m/Wollensak
2520 cassette recorder I bought from a school district auction, it
plays perfectly. Here's what I have found on the BASF cassettes
themselves: the tension on the felt pad in the cassette housing is less
than it should be. On my Wollensak machine, the tape heads actually
protrude farther into the cassette housing making perfect contact with
the felt pad.

If you have some cassettes that just don't play I's suggest finding a
nice heavy duty Wollensak/3m/Recordex unit at a school district auction.

And as people have pointed out, doing a transplant is the easiest
solution.

It takes out all the variables except the tape, and the reels.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken Layton" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have several BASF cassette tapes that no longer play on three of my
cassette machines. However, if I run these cassettes on my 3m/Wollensak
2520 cassette recorder I bought from a school district auction, it
plays perfectly. Here's what I have found on the BASF cassettes
themselves: the tension on the felt pad in the cassette housing is less
than it should be. On my Wollensak machine, the tape heads actually
protrude farther into the cassette housing making perfect contact with
the felt pad.

Another problem you'll see is the complete loss of the pressure pad itself.
The glue dries out over time and the pad drops out and gets lost. No
problem, just reload the tape into another housing. I have also had some
luck at whacking the tape cassette flat side down on a hard surface,
flipping it over and whacking it down on the other side. Seems like it packs
the tape evenly on the spools, reducing the drag caused by the slip sheets.
A dual capstan - dual pinch wheel machine also does well with old tapes, as
the tape loop is more controlled. I have a Realistic SC-30 deck, made by
Hitachi, circa 1980 that I use to play old cassettes 'just one more time' to
get them transferred to other media. That thing is just amazing that it even
works anymore, much less works as well as it does.
regards,
tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"t.hoehler" wrote in
m:

Another problem you'll see is the complete loss of the pressure pad
itself. The glue dries out over time and the pad drops out and gets
lost. No problem, just reload the tape into another housing.

*snip*

tom

I've had that happen several times. Seems to happen more on tapes left
in the car. Sometimes you can transplant a replacement felt pad and
spring into the original tape case rather than moving the reels over.
That way, you don't lose the writing on your tape with the song titles
printed on the side.

Puckdropper

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
t.hoehler wrote:
reducing the drag caused by the slip sheets.

An interesting concept, as the slip sheets are there to REDUCE drag.

Some Philips brand tapes I had the misfortune to buy had this special
"anti stick powder coated slip sheet" nonsense installed. From new, they
weren't very reliable, and with playing/recording got worse.

Ripped the slip sheets out and threw them away, worked fine after that.
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/