Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Kenmore 110.24722300 broken tub

Jstein wrote:

I'm in desperate need of help with my Kenmore 70 series washer model
number 110.24722300. I noticed water pooling under the washer a few
days ago and assumed that the tub overflowed. Upon further examination
it would appear that the plastic tub has a crack in it. The crack is
located at the base of one of the "fins". The underside of the tub
appears to have 3 fins that are approx 1/8" thick, 2" deep and 2"
long. They serve no purpose from what I can tell. It looks as though
the fin has knocked into the metal base of the washer causing the
fracture. The fin adjacent to the cracked one shows signs of knocking
into the frame as well.
I also noticed that there are two little plastic cups that are mounted
to the frame. These can be seen he
http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/steinj1/
Both cups were filled 3/4 with water. Both cups also contained a pin
with a hole for what looks like a cotter pin.

I think those are anti-siphon devices (siphon break?), to keep the
drain from siphoning water out of the tub at the wrong time. You may
want to check appliance websites with forums, like ApplianceJunk.com
(has many manuals, as does ApplianceDigest.com ), ApplianceHelp.com ,
FixItNow.com , and Appliantology.org .

There may be a secret warranty on cracked tubs, but don't expect Sears
or Whirlpool to admit to this. Also Sears is nothing special when it
comes to appliance repair, except for their high parts and labor
prices. If there's no warranty, look for either Whirlpool factory
repair or an independent authorized repair company that has a real
street address (no big ads in the phone book). I think the only way
to fix the plastic tub is by melting it back together with a soldering
iron and some identical plastic to use as welding rod.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 25, 3:07*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
Jstein wrote:

[...]

I ended up applying some silicone to the underside of the tub. This
has helped significantly though it does still leak. I think I'm going
to try applying some silicone to the inside of the tub as well. After
observing the machine complete 2 full loads I am of the feeling that
the machine was overloaded or the clothes shifted making the tub heavy
on one side. The plastic fins did not come close to knocking into the
frame during these loads. Does anyone have any recommendations as to
where I can find the spanner wrench? I haven't had much luck locating
one online. Thanks again.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jstein wrote:

I ended up applying some silicone to the underside of the tub. This
has helped significantly though it does still leak. I think I'm going
to try applying some silicone to the inside of the tub as well. After
observing the machine complete 2 full loads I am of the feeling that
the machine was overloaded or the clothes shifted making the tub heavy
on one side. The plastic fins did not come close to knocking into the
frame during these loads. Does anyone have any recommendations as to
where I can find the spanner wrench? I haven't had much luck locating
one online.

Try automotive part supplies, but you should be able to get by with a
hammer and a punch to remove the nut holding the tub against the
shaft. That's one of the methods Whirlpool describes in its factory
service manuals. Did you get the manual from ApplianceJunk.com or
ApplianceDigest.com ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have an idea for the use of the tabs. They may allow stacking of
the tubs. Thus they were added for manufacturing.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

i've had success on two different tubs, essentially with DIY
plastic welding. on one tub, i used a low wattage soldering
iron, partially melting the edges of the crack and melt-filling
the crack with strips from a polyethylene milk jug. on the
other tub, i used the heat of a glue gun to melt the edges of
the crack and also melt-filling, as described above.

On Jul 26, 9:00*am, Jstein wrote:
I think the only way
to fix the plastic tub is by melting it back together with a solderi

I ended up applying some silicone to the underside of the tub. This
has helped significantly though it does still leak. I think I'm going
to try applying some silicone to the inside of the tub as well.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 26, 9:00*am, Jstein wrote:

I think the only way
to fix the plastic tub is by melting it back together with a solderi

I ended up applying some silicone to the underside of the tub. This
has helped significantly though it does still leak. I think I'm going
to try applying some silicone to the inside of the tub as well.

I may try the welding you described if my silicone does not hold. I
was able to take off the spanner nut last night and remove the metal
tub. I tried removing the plastic tub but I did not want to disturb
the center seal. I applied a liberal amount of silicone to the inside
of the tub. I roughed up and cleaned the surface pretty well in hopes
of increasing the bond. I will let the group know if it holds.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

FYI, i did this from the INSIDE of the plastic tub, where the
water pressure is positive and did NOT remove the tub from
the machine.

I may try the welding you described if my silicone does not hold.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 26, 9:00*am, Jstein wrote:

I think the only way
to fix the plastic tub is by melting it back together with a solderi

I ended up applying some silicone to the underside of the tub. This
has helped significantly though it does still leak. I think I'm going
to try applying some silicone to the inside of the tub as well.- Hide quoted text -

I think the melting plastic/welding process offers the best chance of
success, especially if done on the inside of the tub where water
pressure will push the patch toward the actual tub. I also think the
comment that the tabs are part of the manufacturing process is 100%
correct,