Posted to sci.electronics.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Kenmore 110.24722300 broken tub

Jstein wrote:

I'm in desperate need of help with my Kenmore 70 series washer model
number 110.24722300. I noticed water pooling under the washer a few
days ago and assumed that the tub overflowed. Upon further examination
it would appear that the plastic tub has a crack in it. The crack is
located at the base of one of the "fins". The underside of the tub
appears to have 3 fins that are approx 1/8" thick, 2" deep and 2"
long. They serve no purpose from what I can tell. It looks as though
the fin has knocked into the metal base of the washer causing the
fracture. The fin adjacent to the cracked one shows signs of knocking
into the frame as well.
I also noticed that there are two little plastic cups that are mounted
to the frame. These can be seen he
http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/steinj1/
Both cups were filled 3/4 with water. Both cups also contained a pin
with a hole for what looks like a cotter pin.

I think those are anti-siphon devices (siphon break?), to keep the
drain from siphoning water out of the tub at the wrong time. You may
want to check appliance websites with forums, like ApplianceJunk.com
(has many manuals, as does ApplianceDigest.com ), ApplianceHelp.com ,
FixItNow.com , and Appliantology.org .

There may be a secret warranty on cracked tubs, but don't expect Sears
or Whirlpool to admit to this. Also Sears is nothing special when it
comes to appliance repair, except for their high parts and labor
prices. If there's no warranty, look for either Whirlpool factory
repair or an independent authorized repair company that has a real
street address (no big ads in the phone book). I think the only way
to fix the plastic tub is by melting it back together with a soldering
iron and some identical plastic to use as welding rod.