Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Suggestions Replacing P4 CPU Heat Sink Retainer?

Inherited a Dell Dimension 2300 that suddenly shut down for some
reason besides a power outage.

Found reason when opened the case and found a broken P4 cpu heat sink
retainer and loose heat sink.

Did some searching and found others with same problem.

For example:

"The heatsink is clamped onto a black plastic moulding which appears
to be screwed onto the motherboard and surrounds the CPU socket. On of
the 'legs' which sticks up from this has broken. As a result one end
of the heatsink cannot be tightly clamped to the CPU.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.co...b013fe15c9c2ab

"When i opened the box to clean it out (been sitting in the same place
in the shop for 5 years) I found one of the heatsink retainers just
lying in the case. Upon furter inspection i found that the plasic
square box that is mounted to the motherboard that the heatsink
attaches to is broken."
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=465220

Since this OEM part tends to fail would like to do a more permanent
repair.

Did a search using [best P4 CPU heat sink retainer] but so far have
not found anything of interest.

Am open to any comments, suggestions, tips...

Thanks

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"KenO" wrote in message
[...]

Sign up to freecycle & freegle and scrounge a PC that's 2 or 3x faster and
doesn't have its CPU cooler falling off.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

[...]

Pentium 4 Socket 478 Heatsink Retention Module $1.59:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...6W1-51&cat=CPU

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 16:26:58 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

KenO wrote:

Inherited a Dell Dimension 2300 that suddenly shut down for some reason
besides a power outage.

Found reason when opened the case and found a broken P4 cpu heat sink
retainer and loose heat sink.

Did some searching and found others with same problem.

For example:

"The heatsink is clamped onto a black plastic moulding which appears to
be screwed onto the motherboard and surrounds the CPU socket. On of the
'legs' which sticks up from this has broken. As a result one end of the
heatsink cannot be tightly clamped to the CPU.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.co...thread/thread/

aa39dd6016df30b9/d2b013fe15c9c2ab?hl=en&q=broken+P4+heat+sink
+retainer#d2b013fe15c9c2ab

"When i opened the box to clean it out (been sitting in the same place
in the shop for 5 years) I found one of the heatsink retainers just
lying in the case. Upon furter inspection i found that the plasic
square box that is mounted to the motherboard that the heatsink
attaches to is broken."
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=465220

Since this OEM part tends to fail would like to do a more permanent
repair.

Did a search using [best P4 CPU heat sink retainer] but so far have not
found anything of interest.

Am open to any comments, suggestions, tips...

Pentium 4 Socket 478 Heatsink Retention Module $1.59:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...6W1-51&cat=CPU

Those don't always work on Dell. Last one I worked on the bolt pattern
didn't line up with the holes in the mainboard. Most dell desktop used
a single 120mm fan mounted on back drawing air through a shroud encasing
a heatsink of fins that was about 4 or 5 inches tall. This one was in
pieces when it was given to me and part of the original retainer were
missing. This was an LGA also. I did find the missing part later at a
PC shop a friend owns. He said he had just had one in that the mainboard
was toast. Not a great machine, hyperthreading single core 3.0 ghz Intel.
Got to have at least a dual core these days.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

[...]

Ahh, the luxury of unreasonable feelings of entitlement!!!

An acquaintance sent over a Thinkpad X40 a couple of weeks ago. He'd
picked it up for $20 at a flea market. 1.2Ghz Pentium M, 500 Megs of
RAM, 20 Gig hard drive, wireless networking, no CD drive, Win XP. He
thought he had 'bricked' it trying to install Win7 from a thumb drive.
After 5 minutes investigation I found the 'clover leaf' power cord was
bad. I hook up a good power cord, it works, the battery even takes a
charge, and send it back to him.

A week later he reports he added another Gig of RAM ($30) a new power
cord ($5), and Win7 and it works wonderfully. "It's the ideal system
to use at a coffee shop".

So for under $100 (a significant portion of which was for shipping)
he's got something that is faster than an iPad, has a real keyboard,
and can be upgraded. Not all people measure their importance by the
speed of their computer.

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

[...]

Something like that would be perfect for reading my collection of e-books
while sitting on the bog.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.co...browse_thread/

[...]

My Dell Mini 910 with 8 gig SSD runs 7 Professional perfectly It has an
Intel Atom hyperthreading CPU that runs at 1.3 ghz and 2 gigs of DDR2
ram. I have an additional 8 gig SD card in it for storage. Cold boot time
to login screen is about 30 seconds. So I'm not bashing lower performance
computers. Just for some things, a dual core is needed. I upgraded my
son's HT 3.0 ghz single intel to a dual core, he plays games. It
increased his video frame rate from 15 fps to 30. Some of those games
need at least a dual core. Myself I run a quad core AMD Phenom II 955
on an Asus M48At-E mobo with 4 gigs Corsair DDR3 FSB at 1600 MHZ.
I can encode raw avi video into MPEG2 at about 200 FPS. What took hours
on a single core 2.0 GHZ AMD64 now takes minutes. So again it all has its
place. I still have an Asus M6Bne, 1.8 ghz 15.4 widescreen laptop from
2004 I use daily. And an Athalon T-Bird 1.0 ghz box downstairs not being
used.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments!

While the cost of the plastic Pentium 4 Socket 478 Heatsink Retention
Module is low ($1.59: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...6W1-51&cat=CPU
) I am not impressed with the design/quality of this part and would
like to do a more reliable repair.

Also agree with Meat Plow "Those don't always work on Dell. Last one
I worked on the bolt pattern didn't line up with the holes in the
mainboard. Most dell desktop used a single 120mm fan mounted on back
drawing air through a shroud encasing a heatsink of fins that was
about 4 or 5 inches tall." This is the setup for the Dell Dimension
2300.

Meat Plow "This one was in pieces when it was given to me and part of
the original retainer were missing." Did you ever get this PC
working? If so did you get another Dell Heatsink Retention Module or
repair the original one?

Ken
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments!

While the cost of the plastic Pentium 4 Socket 478 Heatsink Retention
Module is low ($1.59: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...6W1-51&cat=CPU
) I am not impressed with the design/quality of this part and would
like to do a more reliable repair.

I don't really care. All the plastic mounts are cheap. I also don't
think much of Dell motherboards.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

[...]

You mention two purposes where higher performance is appropriate.
I'm of the opinion that few people (other than professional game
developers) NEED a higher performance system. Encoding video can be a
different matter. Years ago I discovered a 2.4Ghz P4 with 1 Gig of
RAM could transcode a AVI file into DVD format VIRTUALLY in a matter
of minutes - I started the process before going to bed, in the morning
there was a DVD waiting.

Not that there is something wrong with using a high performance system
for trivial purposes; Intel and AMD's bottom line would be less
impressive if the only market for their high end processors was Civil
Engineers designing a suspension bridge.

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

of the heatsink cannot be tightly clamped to the CPU.http://groups.google..com/group/uk.c..._thread/thread...

"When i opened the box to clean it out (been sitting in the same place
in the shop for 5 years) I found one of the heatsink retainers just
lying in the case. Upon furter inspection i found that the plasic
square box that is mounted to the motherboard that the heatsink
attaches to is broken."http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=465220

Since this OEM part tends to fail would like to do a more permanent
repair.

Did a search using [best P4 CPU heat sink retainer] but so far have
not found anything of interest.

Am open to any comments, suggestions, tips...

Thanks

Ken

I had this same problem on a 2350 dell. I simply made
new retaining clips from metal strips.works ok.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Doug,

"I had this same problem on a 2350 dell. I simply made new retaining
clips from metal strips.works ok."

Sounds Good!!!

Any suggestions? Also if you were going to make "new retaining clips"
again, would you make any changes in either design or material?

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Aliem

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt..._0-150-150.jpg

....and a handsome lad he is too!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:40:21 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

KenO wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments!

While the cost of the plastic Pentium 4 Socket 478 Heatsink Retention
Module is low ($1.59:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...6W1-51&cat=CPU ) I am not
impressed with the design/quality of this part and would like to do a
more reliable repair.

I don't really care. All the plastic mounts are cheap. I also don't
think much of Dell motherboards.

Most Dell mainboards were made by Intel. So you don't like Intel main
boards. Or you don't like Dell's limited BIOS.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

[...]

I've done a lot of home video from 8 and mini DV into DVD. Last one was
with a P4 # 3.0 ghz, hyper threading and 4 gigs of ram. It took hours
to encode a 20 GB raw AVI into DVD using Sony DVD Architect. I'm sorry
but I don't believe you.

Not that there is something wrong with using a high performance system
for trivial purposes; Intel and AMD's bottom line would be less
impressive if the only market for their high end processors was Civil
Engineers designing a suspension bridge.

PlainBill

You are being a bit narrow minded.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 16, 7:24*pm, KenO wrote:
Hi Doug,

"I had this same problem on a 2350 dell. I simply made new retaining
clips from metal strips.works ok."

Sounds Good!!!

Any suggestions? *Also if you were going to make "new retaining clips"
again, would you make any changes in either design or material?

Ken

Hi Ken,well on my p.c. the original retainer clips had nothing
to latch on to,as the plastic `slots` on heatsink base had
broken off.I made up `L` shaped brackets 25mm.by 25mm
with 6mm hole drilled each end,removed 4 screws and lifted
off heatsink base,slid homebrew clips under the base,
refit h.sink base with the screws passing thru` the holes in
the homemade clips.This now gave the original spring clamps
somewhere to hook on to ! Hope you can follow this Ken !
Am not sure how to include a piccy with this post, or would
have taken snap with digi.cam. Still learning here ! !
HTH doug
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

[...]

That's because you don't read carefully and lack comprehension.

I set up the transcoding in the evening, just before I go to bed.
The task completes while I am sleeping. From my point of view, my
computer was unavailable only for a few minutes.
Not that there is something wrong with using a high performance system
for trivial purposes; Intel and AMD's bottom line would be less
impressive if the only market for their high end processors was Civil
Engineers designing a suspension bridge.

PlainBill

You are being a bit narrow minded.

And you allow, nay encourage, a few pieces of etched silicon to hold
your sense of self esteem hostage.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 20:40:18 -0700 (PDT), doug
wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:24*pm, KenO wrote:
Hi Doug,

[...]

Most frequently just plop a photo on someplace like photobucket and give a
link. Pick a place that has rules you like.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments!

While the cost of the plastic Pentium 4 Socket 478 Heatsink Retention
Module is low ($1.59:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...6W1-51&cat=CPU ) I am not
impressed with the design/quality of this part and would like to do a
more reliable repair.

I don't really care. All the plastic mounts are cheap. I also don't
think much of Dell motherboards.

Most Dell mainboards were made by Intel. So you don't like Intel main
boards. Or you don't like Dell's limited BIOS.

Made by Intel. or with an Intel chipset? I find too many weird
problems with custom Dell motherboards, and have scrapped at least 100
computers that would only hold a custom Dell motherboard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

doug wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:24 pm, KenO wrote:
Hi Doug,

"I had this same problem on a 2350 dell. I simply made new retaining
clips from metal strips.works ok."

Sounds Good!!!

Any suggestions? Also if you were going to make "new retaining clips"
again, would you make any changes in either design or material?

Ken

Hi Ken,well on my p.c. the original retainer clips had nothing
to latch on to,as the plastic `slots` on heatsink base had
broken off.I made up `L` shaped brackets 25mm.by 25mm
with 6mm hole drilled each end,removed 4 screws and lifted
off heatsink base,slid homebrew clips under the base,
refit h.sink base with the screws passing thru` the holes in
the homemade clips.This now gave the original spring clamps
somewhere to hook on to ! Hope you can follow this Ken !
Am not sure how to include a piccy with this post, or would
have taken snap with digi.cam.

You have two problems posting photos here. You re using google groups
which doesn't access binaries newsgroups, and this isn't a binaries
newsgroup.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Doug,

"...on my p.c. the original retainer clips had nothing to latch on
to,as the plastic `slots` on heatsink base had broken off." I have
same problem.

"I made up *`L` *shaped brackets 25mm.by 25mm with 6mm hole drilled
each end,removed 4 screws and lifted off heatsink base,slid homebrew
clips under the base, refit h.sink base with the screws passing thru`
the holes in the homemade clips.This now gave the original spring
clamps somewhere to hook on to ! * *Hope you can follow this Ken *!
Am not sure how to include a piccy with this post, or would have taken
snap with digi.cam. * Still learning here ! !" Me too!! but photos do
help!!

"Most frequently just plop a photo on someplace like photobucket and
give a link. Pick a place that has rules you like." How does that
sound to you?

Thanks again for all your help!

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
s.com, KenO writes

If so did you get another Dell Heatsink Retention Module or
repair the original one?

it doesn't have to be a Dell one. They're all the same, there's
thousands of them on ebay for pennies apiece.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:

[...]

I read and comprehend just fine. While you slept you machine still took
hours to render the mpeg video. My point wasn't virtual performance based
on one's perception. And that fine with me. Not trying to tell you what
equipment to use or how to use it I merely mentioned the actual
performance of newer equipment.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 19, 10:25*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
doug wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:24 pm, KenO wrote:
Hi Doug,

[...]

Ok, point noted ! always ready to learn. thanks Doug
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Mike,

"it doesn't have to be a Dell one. *They're all the same, there's
thousands of them on ebay for pennies apiece" Agree

Did a quick search and found a few different types for the P4
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/reten...FUGF5godcCYqyg

As previously mentioned, am not impressed with the plastic ones so
will try to repair my old one.

Hope a others who have successfully repaired their broken Intel P4
Heatsink Retention Modules will upload these photos.

Thanks

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

doug wrote:

On Jul 19, 10:25 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
doug wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:24 pm, KenO wrote:
Hi Doug,

[...]

As you can see (Or should be able to. I'm not sure about Google
Groups) from the header of this message, I use Flicker