Posted to sci.electronics.repair
KenO KenO is offline

Default Suggestions Replacing P4 CPU Heat Sink Retainer?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments!

While the cost of the plastic Pentium 4 Socket 478 Heatsink Retention
Module is low ($1.59: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...6W1-51&cat=CPU
) I am not impressed with the design/quality of this part and would
like to do a more reliable repair.

Also agree with Meat Plow "Those don't always work on Dell. Last one
I worked on the bolt pattern didn't line up with the holes in the
mainboard. Most dell desktop used a single 120mm fan mounted on back
drawing air through a shroud encasing a heatsink of fins that was
about 4 or 5 inches tall." This is the setup for the Dell Dimension
2300.

Meat Plow "This one was in pieces when it was given to me and part of
the original retainer were missing." Did you ever get this PC
working? If so did you get another Dell Heatsink Retention Module or
repair the original one?

Ken