David Read

Default Suggestions for replacing T1-11 siding?

I live in Portland, OR. The T1-11 siding on the south side of my 25-year-
old house is warped and generally cruddy. It's a two-story home; the roof
peak is about thirty feet above ground level.

I've done a good bit of indoor remodeling myself, but never replaced
siding. I'm reasonably tool-handy. I intend to install new T1-11. Any
suggestions or good advice?

I'm thinking of renting some scaffolding, since I'm mildly acrophobic and
hate wobbling around on tall ladders.

Tnx,
dave
Bruce

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:12:56 -0000, David Read
wrote:

I live in Portland, OR. The T1-11 siding on the south side of my 25-year-
old house is warped and generally cruddy. It's a two-story home; the roof
peak is about thirty feet above ground level.

I've done a good bit of indoor remodeling myself, but never replaced
siding. I'm reasonably tool-handy. I intend to install new T1-11. Any
suggestions or good advice?

I'm thinking of renting some scaffolding, since I'm mildly acrophobic and
hate wobbling around on tall ladders.

Tnx,
dave

Siding isn't too difficult to install but there are always details
that you won't know unless you have some experience. If this is your
first time I would get the manufacturer's installation specifications
and follow them exactly.

You won't be able to do this job alone--trying to hold in place a
4'x8' sheet of siding and nail it at the same time is impossible to
do--especially if you are off the ground.

Do you have the proper tools? A nail gun and compressor will make the
job go a lot faster.

I Houston T-111 isn't used any more, there are much better
fiber-cement products on the market, like Hardie Siding. Fiber-cement
won't rot, is termite proof, and takes paint a lot better than wood.
Also, you can get it in a lap siding that is preferable to 4'x8'
sheets (which you could also get if you want).

Bruce
A&B Construction
Houston, TX
www.roof.cc
Harry K

wrote:

[...]

Good advice. I for sure wouldn't replace it with the same stuff since
that has already demonstrated a failure.

Harry K