Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default AVO 8 Mk 4 ...

Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user guide
that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files and drawers
high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I thought that the 'net
would be awash with copies of the schematic, but it seems only for the Mk 2,
which is totally different to the MK 4.

TIA

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user
guide that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files
and drawers high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I
thought that the 'net would be awash with copies of the schematic,
but it seems only for the Mk 2, which is totally different to the MK
4.
TIA

Is it the circuit diagram at
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/avo_uni...er_8_mk_i.html ?
(Registration necessary for download. I have not done it as mine's a Mk
II.)
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user
guide that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files
and drawers high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I
thought that the 'net would be awash with copies of the schematic,
but it seems only for the Mk 2, which is totally different to the MK
4.
TIA

Is it the circuit diagram at
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/avo_uni...er_8_mk_i.html ?
(Registration necessary for download. I have not done it as mine's a Mk
II.)
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Hi Robin, thanks for that. It would appear to be the correct one. Looks as
though you need to pay to become a member, so I will hold off for now until
all the feelers that I have out, run dry. It's really annoying because I
have owned the meter from new when I was an apprentice, and I have the book,
which has the schematic in it, carefully filed away somewhere, but I'm
buggered if I can now find it. It is in a box file, but said boxfile is not
where I know it should be. Even more annoying is that I have damaged the
meter by my own stupidity, so now have the need to fix it ... :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

There may be an outside chance its turned up on
alt.binaries.e-book.technical at some time or other.

Whether I'd have downloaded it is another matter, and it would take a while
to search my archives.

You could try a REQ: on that group while I try to remember where I put all
the unsorted stuff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:46:53 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

That's too bad. I have some old gear I used as an apprentice that have a
high value in the nostalgia department. An old EICO 232 VTVM, B&K 1801
freq. counter, Beckman Tech 310 DVM, Amprobe Amp Clamp and some other
things that I can't think of right now.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Have you tried:-

http://www.megger.com/eu/index.php

And get a log on for the support pages?

They seem to be the sort of company who do product support properly. It
might even be worth giving them a call at their head office in Dover.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In message on Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:45:37 +0100
Arfa Daily wrote:

Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user guide
that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files and drawers
high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I thought that the 'net
would be awash with copies of the schematic, but it seems only for the Mk 2,
which is totally different to the MK 4.

Have you tried the Vintage Radio Forum?

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

They have a vintage test equipment forum and there are lots of nice, helpful
people on there ...

On the other hand, there's also me ...

--

Terry
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article , Arfa Daily
writes

Even more annoying is that I have damaged the
meter by my own stupidity

Measured the resistance of the mains?

BTDTGTTS.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

**I can't help you, but I do know that AVOs are bloody hard to damage. You
must have put considerable effort into it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user guide
that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files and
drawers high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I thought
that the 'net would be awash with copies of the schematic, but it seems
only for the Mk 2, which is totally different to the MK 4.

Have you tried AVO direct? They still make the Model 8, IIRC.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Apr 1, 11:53*pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:

**I can't help you, but I do know that AVOs are bloody hard to damage. You
must have put considerable effort into it.

Not that hard. The overload cutout is a sensitive beast and the
adjustment procedure is a little convoluted.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user guide
that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files and
drawers high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I thought
that the 'net would be awash with copies of the schematic, but it seems
only for the Mk 2, which is totally different to the MK 4.

Have you tried AVO direct? They still make the Model 8, IIRC.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks all. Some useful suggestions there. You are of course all quite
correct in that it is very difficult to damage an AVO. This one is now
around 40 years old, and it has been in use on a daily basis for all of
those years, and has withstood much normal workshop abuse - yes, including
measuring the resistance of the mains ! - many times over. It was a very
high pulse voltage that caused the problem that I now have. I have recently
been working on some pro lighting equipment that makes use of short-arc
discharge lamps, and it is important that the running voltage, once they
have struck, is correct. They are fed with a 50% duty factor square wave at
about 200v p-p, resulting in an average 'AC' voltage of 100V across the
lamp. The AVO reads this nicely on either its 100V or 250V AC ranges. When
the lamp is being started, however, it is subjected to a pulsed igniter
voltage of several kV. When the lamp strikes, its impedance drops quite low,
and this swamps the igniter circuit and stops it. Stupidly, I had the meter
connected during the ignition sequence, and now, 100V of 'real' sinusoidal
AC reads about 35V ...

I am at this point thinking that it is going to be one of the two rectifier
diodes, which seem to be "OA" germanium types, but I guess it could also be
a fried metal film precision resistor. Needless to say, there is no visible
evidence of any problem :-\

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user guide
that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files and
drawers high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I thought
that the 'net would be awash with copies of the schematic, but it seems
only for the Mk 2, which is totally different to the MK 4.

Have you tried AVO direct? They still make the Model 8, IIRC.

They stopped making it about, oh - two or three years ago. I think too
expensive, too complex to make were the reasons quoted.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user guide
that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files and
drawers high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I thought
that the 'net would be awash with copies of the schematic, but it seems
only for the Mk 2, which is totally different to the MK 4.

Have you tried AVO direct? They still make the Model 8, IIRC.

They stopped making it about, oh - two or three years ago. I think too
expensive, too complex to make were the reasons quoted.

The last one came off the line in November 2008. This gave rise to
simultaneous nostalgia and relief that reference quality meters now
weighed less than a sack of coal. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ian. Be appreciated if you were able to have a quick look. Wouldn't
have been a problem back in our old TeleMag days. John would have flung an
ad in "Help Wanted" for me ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

news

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Yes, Meat. It's very frustrating. I cut my 'professional' teeth with that
meter, and it has served me faithfully over the years without serious
mishap. It is still in weekly use, but not quite the daily use that it once
was. For some types of repair, the swinging needle of a quality instrument
like this, is so much more appropriate than a digital type ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

news

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Its a well known fact that the human eye can gain a rough ideas of
what's going on much faster with an analogue display, as it takes longer
to read a digital display, although in the end that is more accurate.

I have never felt the need for a DVM or DAM..99.99% of voltage and
current readings are of the 'is it within 20% of where it should be'
flavour.

The fact is an LCD meter is CHEAPER than a quality moving needle display.

Not better.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Have you tried AVO direct? They still make the Model 8, IIRC.

They stopped making it about, oh - two or three years ago. I think too
expensive, too complex to make were the reasons quoted.

They were certainly very expensive last time I saw them for sale - about
700 quid? So most probably just bought for a museum or display purposes.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=756
----
http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/service.htm
Any good?
--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

All I found is the AVO 8 MKII user manual with schematic and a document
claiming to be the AVO 8 service manual, its a collection of pages in
typewriter font describing servicing proceedures - no illustrations.

If you want them name a binaries I can upload to.

Have you tried BAMA? - I haven't been there since they changed their website
to stop people like me leeching the whole lot - they've undoubtedly added
new stuff since then.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine has access to Model 8 I, II, III, V, VI, and VII , but no
IV. Curious ... Interestingly, I have now found my book, which I was
absolutely certain was issued to me with the meter, and it's for a
Mk III , which is entirely different. Hmmm ...

I just went and looked at a BAMA mirror site, and lo ! I have found a file
that says it's for the Mk IV. I've downloaded it, but now need to find some
software to open it. It says that it is .DJVU format ??

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Yep. Been to all those places Ian. Thanks anyway

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Have you tried AVO direct? They still make the Model 8, IIRC.

They stopped making it about, oh - two or three years ago. I think too
expensive, too complex to make were the reasons quoted.

They were certainly very expensive last time I saw them for sale - about
700 quid? So most probably just bought for a museum or display purposes.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Perhaps like Fluke 75 actually specified by name and model in a particular
statutary regulation . So if you use anything other than a Fluke 75 it may
be an illegal act

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AVO 8 Mk 4 ... Wahey !! Fixed !!

Result ! It's fixed ! Looking at all the schematics for the other marks,
they all seemed to use a fairly straightforward AC voltage measuring scheme,
employing two diodes in bridge with two resistors, for the rectification. In
view of the fact that I'd ****ted it with a high pulse voltage, I figured
that the most likely bet was those diodes. When I found them, they were
white glass ones type HG5808, so a fairly bog-standard germanium type.
Casting around in the parts drawers, I found a packet of brand new OA91s, so
I bunged a couple in, and voila ! - my good old AVO is now reading the right
thing again on AC volts

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

I just went and looked at a BAMA mirror site, and lo ! I have found a
file that says it's for the Mk IV. I've downloaded it, but now need
to find some software to open it. It says that it is .DJVU format ??

The site has links to viewers: see eg
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/avo FWIW I use Irfan. And you will
need then the djvu plug-in (from the same site). But I am sorry to have
to tell you that if you have downloaded mk4elect.djvu it is the manual
for the Avo Electronic Testmeter Mark 4. (I know 'cos I got some of my
manuals from BAMA and looked there yesterday when you first asked: I am
*really* looking for excuses not to get back to crawling around in the
loft!)

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

N_Cook wrote:
So if you use anything other than a Fluke 75 it may
be an illegal act

....As the actress said the the bishop, stirring her tea...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=756
----
http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/service.htm
Any good?
-- Ian

Yep. Been to all those places Ian. Thanks anyway

Ah! The Mk 4 is an AVO Multiminor - not an Avo 8. Sorry!
--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Lizardtech DJVU is a PITA but it produces small files - the main problems
are lack of scrolling and you can't set it to restore last viewed page next
time you open it.

What I do is open the DJVU with the IE pluggin and hit print with Cutepdf
installed (creates a virtual printer which is actually a PDF file), you have
to jump to the last page in the DJVU and when the settings box opens reset
the from box to 1.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:45:22 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

news

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

I got used to the LCD after using one for 25 years but it took awhile
after using the EICO and a Simpson. The Beckman 310 was the first LCD I
owned. I found a benchtop Beckman with LED's back in the 90's I used for
several years before it failed beyond repair. Now using my faithful Fluke
77. This is one that had a touch hold button in the middle of the
selector. It's hard to put aside the tools you've learned to trust after
decades.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
I just went and looked at a BAMA mirror site, and lo ! I have found a
file that says it's for the Mk IV. I've downloaded it, but now need
to find some software to open it. It says that it is .DJVU format ??

The site has links to viewers: see eg http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/avo
FWIW I use Irfan. And you will need then the djvu plug-in (from the same
site). But I am sorry to have to tell you that if you have downloaded
mk4elect.djvu it is the manual for the Avo Electronic Testmeter Mark 4.
(I know 'cos I got some of my manuals from BAMA and looked there yesterday
when you first asked: I am *really* looking for excuses not to get back to
crawling around in the loft!)

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

I got me a viewer (I actually have Irfan as well, but didn't realise it did
these djvu's) and yes, you are quite right, it is the wrong one, even though
it appears to be listed as one of the 8's. Anyways, meter is now fixed - see
my later post ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:45:22 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

news

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Indeed it is. I have a hand portable DMM that is now the main workshop
workhorse, and I am very easy with it. I also have a bench true RMS 6 digit
job that is used fairly rarely. The AVO still gets used where I feel it is
the appropriate instrument for the job. I tend to be happier using it around
tube circuitry for measuring volts, and I prefer its ohms ranges for
measuring semiconductor junctions, even though the DMM has a diode test
facility

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 02:02:32 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:46:53 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

It's what you are used to. I started out with an AVO 7 I think it
was 500 Ohms per Volt. It certainly had an effect on circuits even in
the days before CMOS.

I could turn on transistors and generally interact with circuits using
it. Although a tool no doubt aimed at Electrical Engineers it proved a
useful diagnostic instrument in an electronics environment.

Oddly enough the AVO eight was potentially more accurate than todays
digital afferings. At 20 K to the Volt, The AVO took half the current
of the modern DMM.

It was a dashed big needle to shift too.

My gripe with the AVO was that although it was a robust instrument,
you could buy around fifteen less robust meters for the same price.
Similar accuracy, smaller scale though and at a major price reduction.
Plus of course the fact that you could buy batteries to keep the Ohm
fires burning at your local newsagent. I seem to recollect tht The AVO
needed some kind of battery / inverter replacement when Ever Ready
stopped producing their very expensive box of volts.

Incidentally the final AVOs were not robust. They weighed about as
much as two of the £12-00 Tandy meters that I used to use at that
time.

That was prety light! I zapped a new AVO with one jab at a line output
valve topcap. Around 800 V p-p at 15 khz.

I still operate using the same philosophy today. I can pay a hundred
or so for a Fluke, or throw £20-00 across the counter at Maplin. Both
meters do the same at an acceptable accuracy and both share the same
fate when I forget to go from mA to volts when measuring across
phases. Both meters also tend to go green & gungy when exposed to
liquids. At least I do not feel too bad with a defunct £20-00 Tandy

HN

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson writes:

In article , Arfa Daily
writes
Even more annoying is that I have damaged the
meter by my own stupidity

Measured the resistance of the mains?

You too, eh?
But they are indeed tough beasts; apart from a shaky ohms-adjust pot
it's still working 25 years later.

Doubtful if you could do that with a modern DVM and get away with it.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

You can get your own DJVU maker (+viewer) here (and several other
interesting things):
http://www.tuberadio.it/
http://www.tuberadio.it/utils.htm
http://www.tuberadio.it/download/dvs31.exe
--
Ian

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

Can't remember the exact reason why I stopped using Irfanview for DJVU and
went back to the original publishers browser pluggin but the most recent
download of DJVU certainly works much better than earlier versions.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"H. Neary" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 02:02:32 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

news

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Had that problem with my Taylor meter - I wound a blocking oscillator coil
on a small toroid and simply shunted the output with a 30V zener, its
connected via a pushbutton to the 1.5V low Ohms battery.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Windmill" wrote in message
Mike Tomlinson writes:

In article , Arfa Daily
writes
Even more annoying is that I have damaged the
meter by my own stupidity

Measured the resistance of the mains?

You too, eh?
But they are indeed tough beasts; apart from a shaky ohms-adjust pot
it's still working 25 years later.

Doubtful if you could do that with a modern DVM and get away with it.

My first ever DMM was fished out of the bin where I worked at the time, Ohms
& ACV didn't work.

When I opened it there was an OP-AMP in the middle of the PCB - it was sort
of easiest to try replacing that and it actually fixed the fault!

The employer very kindly loaned me a recently calibrated instrument and an
assortment of adjustable PSUs and resistance decade boxes so I could make
the neccessary adjustments to the presets next to the OP-AMP.

I still have it but its been relegated to the shed for occasional automotive
work.