Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default AVO 8 Mk 4 ...

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:45:22 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:46:53 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody got a copy of the schematic that's in the back of the user
guide that they can scan for me, please ? I've searched all my files
and drawers high and low, and can't find my book anywhere ... I
thought that the 'net would be awash with copies of the schematic,
but it seems only for the Mk 2, which is totally different to the MK
4. TIA

Is it the circuit diagram at
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/avo_uni...er_8_mk_i.html ?
(Registration necessary for download. I have not done it as mine's a
Mk II.)
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Hi Robin, thanks for that. It would appear to be the correct one.
Looks as though you need to pay to become a member, so I will hold off
for now until all the feelers that I have out, run dry. It's really
annoying because I have owned the meter from new when I was an
apprentice, and I have the book, which has the schematic in it,
carefully filed away somewhere, but I'm buggered if I can now find it.
It is in a box file, but said boxfile is not where I know it should
be. Even more annoying is that I have damaged the meter by my own
stupidity, so now have the need to fix it ... :-(

Arfa

That's too bad. I have some old gear I used as an apprentice that have
a high value in the nostalgia department. An old EICO 232 VTVM, B&K
1801 freq. counter, Beckman Tech 310 DVM, Amprobe Amp Clamp and some
other things that I can't think of right now.

Yes, Meat. It's very frustrating. I cut my 'professional' teeth with
that meter, and it has served me faithfully over the years without
serious mishap. It is still in weekly use, but not quite the daily use
that it once was. For some types of repair, the swinging needle of a
quality instrument like this, is so much more appropriate than a digital
type ...

Arfa
--

I got used to the LCD after using one for 25 years but it took awhile
after using the EICO and a Simpson. The Beckman 310 was the first LCD I

Indeed it is. I have a hand portable DMM that is now the main workshop
workhorse, and I am very easy with it. I also have a bench true RMS 6 digit
job that is used fairly rarely. The AVO still gets used where I feel it is
the appropriate instrument for the job. I tend to be happier using it around
tube circuitry for measuring volts, and I prefer its ohms ranges for
measuring semiconductor junctions, even though the DMM has a diode test
facility

Arfa