Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung and AT&T U-Verse HDMI error?

All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person. I told her that an error
message was displayed on my TV in my back bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image
-- either U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine underneath this
message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that mean that I cannot get
HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my
den. No such errors in the front den.

Keith Lee
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On 12/10/2010 8:53 AM, Keith wrote:
All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person. I told her that an error
message was displayed on my TV in my back bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image
-- either U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine underneath this
message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that mean that I cannot get
HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my
den. No such errors in the front den.

Keith Lee

Although AT&T SHOULD be able to provide you with a problem free HDMI
connection, this may actually end up being a non-issue. Both HDMI and
Component inputs (not composite - that connection is for SD only) will
provide you with an HD picture. Component connections use 3 RCA cables,
color coded red-green-blue, and/or labeled Y-Pb-Pr.

HDMI is technically capable of a better picture than Component, but
because U-Verse (& other cable providers) typically deliver a compressed
picture, the source material may not be of high enough quality to where
HDMI will make a difference over Component. You may actually get a
higher quality picture via the Component connections, since the
Motorola/Cisco boxes apparently have a black level problem with HDMI.
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Keith wrote:
All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person.
I told her that an error message was displayed on my TV in my back
bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image -- either
U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine
underneath this message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that
mean that I cannot get HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back
bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my den. No such errors in the front
den.

Keith Lee

It sounds like a handshake issue. That's when you are using
an hdmi cable and the tv has trouble connecting to the device
on the other end. I'll bet that's why the csr suggested using
component cables. Those carry video in hd, but not the audio.
You would need to use an audio cable with the component cables.
Do a search on your tv model and the uverse box. You may find
an easy solution for the problem.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Keith wrote:
All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person. I told her that an error
message was displayed on my TV in my back bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image
-- either U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine underneath this
message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that mean that I cannot get
HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my
den. No such errors in the front den.

Keith Lee

HDMI cable carries a protocol between the two ends asserting that they are allowed to
talk to each other. It is conceivable that your tv or the cable box is unwilling
to show it! This may explain the advice from the support person.

As others have said,
Component cables have no such fol-de-ra and will transmit anything.

HDMI carries audio. Using Component cables you have to add audio, I think.

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sofa Slug wrote:

Although AT&T SHOULD be able to provide you with a problem free HDMI
connection, this may actually end up being a non-issue. Both HDMI and
Component inputs (not composite - that connection is for SD only) will
provide you with an HD picture. Component connections use 3 RCA cables,
color coded red-green-blue, and/or labeled Y-Pb-Pr.

HDMI is technically capable of a better picture than Component, but
because U-Verse (& other cable providers) typically deliver a compressed
picture, the source material may not be of high enough quality to where
HDMI will make a difference over Component. You may actually get a
higher quality picture via the Component connections, since the
Motorola/Cisco boxes apparently have a black level problem with HDMI.

Three thoughts he

(1) It's not all that uncommon for some HDCP source devices (e.g.
cable boxes) to have difficulty negotiating properly with some
HDCP sink devices (e.g. TV sets) - a particular combination of
source and sink can fail to work, even though the same source box
works with different sink devices just fine (and vice versa).

Try exchanging the cable boxes (or TVs) between den and living
room, at least temporarily. See whether the problem goes away
entirely, or moves with one device or the other. If a U-Verse
box fails to work with more than one TV model, then you should
ask/insist that AT&T replace it.

(2) Switching to component video may result in a loss of some HD
programming. There are an increasing number of programs being
sent over cable and satellite which have DRM restrictions flagged
in them, which mean "No unprotected high-definition output of this
program is permitted". A program which can be shown in high-def
on a properly-secured HDCP device may be barred from display over
component video... or, the set-top box may display it after
down-sampling it to standard definition.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

"RickMerrill" wrote in message
Keith wrote:
[...]

yup!

--
Regards,
Richard Harison

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

LightByrd wrote:
wrote in message
Keith wrote:
[...]

It is conceivable :-) that HDMI could deliver audio but you would still have to use
Component for the video. If the HDMI negotiation is rejected, do you get audio or nada?

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well. I guess I will have to try different
HDMI cables to see it that is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

Keith Lee
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Keith wrote:
Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well.
I guess I will have to try different HDMI cables to see it that is it.
Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

Keith Lee

I doubt it's the cable. Have you done a search with your
television model number and the box that it is connected to?

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...

Keith wrote:
Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message
as well.
I guess I will have to try different HDMI cables to see it that
is it.
Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

Keith Lee

When this happened to me once, I just reset the Uverse receiver
and all was well. Unplug it for 10 seconds, or press and hold the
power button for 5 seconds or so.

David

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

David wrote:
wrote in message ...

Keith wrote:
Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well.
I guess I will have to try different HDMI cables to see it that is it.
Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

Keith Lee

When this happened to me once, I just reset the Uverse receiver and all
was well. Unplug it for 10 seconds, or press and hold the power button
for 5 seconds or so.

David

I agree: it should not depend on the cable itself (all HDMI are really the same).

Unplugging and reseating can "fix" many things.

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On 12/11/10 PDT 6:34 AM, Keith wrote:
Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well. I guess I will have to try different
HDMI cables to see it that is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

The ones that cost $110! :-)

Seriously, anything on Amazon between a buck and ten bucks should do fine.

--
john mcwilliams

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 11, 12:45*pm, John McWilliams wrote:
On 12/11/10 * PDT 6:34 AM, Keith wrote:

Rick:
* I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well. *I guess I will have to try different
HDMI cables to see it that is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

The ones that cost $110! :-)

Pfft
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CARB...r.html?tp=2398
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote:

Rick: I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as
well. I guess I will have to try different HDMI cables to see it that
is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

The ones that cost $110! :-)

Pfft
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CARB...r.html?tp=2398

Pffft:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87492
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On 12/11/10 PDT 8:59 PM, UCLAN wrote:
Ron wrote:

Rick: I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as
well. I guess I will have to try different HDMI cables to see it that
is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

The ones that cost $110! :-)

Pfft
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CARB...r.html?tp=2398

Pffft:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87492

Aaaah, now we're talkin'! The 16 footer is $2,600! Hooooo-Aaaaaah.

--
john mcwilliams

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:11:27 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Dec 11, 12:45*pm, John McWilliams wrote:
On 12/11/10 * PDT 6:34 AM, Keith wrote:

Rick:
* I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well. *I guess I will have to try different
HDMI cables to see it that is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

The ones that cost $110! :-)

Pfft
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CARB...r.html?tp=2398

Bah Humbug. Only $229 for a 2 meter HDMI cable? That's for
cheapskates. Real audiophiles buy nothing but the best and most
expensive.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQHDMIDIA&variation=2
$1,394.75 for a 2 meter cable is more like it. It comes with a 72VDC
bias to do something to prevent dielectric absorption which allegedly
causes distortion. I like the "long-grain copper". I didn't know
copper has grain.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Dec 11, 12:45 pm, John wrote:
On 12/11/10 PDT 6:34 AM, Keith wrote:

Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well. I guess I will have to try different
HDMI cables to see it that is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

The ones that cost $110! :-)

Pfft
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CARB...r.html?tp=2398

Bah Humbug. Only $229 for a 2 meter HDMI cable? That's for
cheapskates. Real audiophiles buy nothing but the best and most
expensive.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQHDMIDIA&variation=2
$1,394.75 for a 2 meter cable is more like it. It comes with a 72VDC
bias to do something to prevent dielectric absorption which allegedly
causes distortion. I like the "long-grain copper". I didn't know
copper has grain.

Copper?? Copper! Hah. It's gotta be long-grained silver or nothing.....
But I do like the price they're getting for mere copper.... must be over
$10,000 a pound...

--
John McWilliams
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703CARB...n-2-meter.html...

Pffft:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87492

That's the one I was looking for but couldn't find it. Unbelievable!

How in the hell does Audioquest stay in business. Guess there are a
lot of people out there with more money than common sense.
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

[...]

Ah, so that is why I have distortion.
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:25:29 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Dec 12, 12:55*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Bah Humbug. *Only $229 for a 2 meter HDMI cable? *That's for
cheapskates. *Real audiophiles buy nothing but the best and most
expensive.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQHDMIDIA&variation=2
$1,394.75 for a 2 meter cable is more like it. *It comes with a 72VDC
bias to do something to prevent dielectric absorption which allegedly
causes distortion. *I like the "long-grain copper". *I didn't know
copper has grain.

Ah, so that is why I have distortion.

The only thing that's distorted is the price markup.
http://www.audioquest.com
It's also patented.
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=wix7AAAAEBAJ&dq=7,126,055
The problem is that dielectric adsorption is a real effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_absorption
but is hardly applicable to PVC dielectric HDMI cables which has low
dielectric soaking effects. Of course, no numbers or test results can
be found anywhere.

Incidentally, note that there are different lengths and speeds for
various classes of HDMI cables:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Cables
I unsuccessfully tried to make a 100ft HDMI cable work for a customer.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D