Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung and AT&T U-Verse HDMI error?

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:25:29 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Dec 12, 12:55*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Bah Humbug. *Only $229 for a 2 meter HDMI cable? *That's for
cheapskates. *Real audiophiles buy nothing but the best and most
expensive.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQHDMIDIA&variation=2
$1,394.75 for a 2 meter cable is more like it. *It comes with a 72VDC
bias to do something to prevent dielectric absorption which allegedly
causes distortion. *I like the "long-grain copper". *I didn't know
copper has grain.

Ah, so that is why I have distortion.

The only thing that's distorted is the price markup.
http://www.audioquest.com
It's also patented.
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=wix7AAAAEBAJ&dq=7,126,055
The problem is that dielectric adsorption is a real effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_absorption
but is hardly applicable to PVC dielectric HDMI cables which has low
dielectric soaking effects. Of course, no numbers or test results can
be found anywhere.

Incidentally, note that there are different lengths and speeds for
various classes of HDMI cables:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Cables
I unsuccessfully tried to make a 100ft HDMI cable work for a customer.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D