Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Sofa Slug[_2_] Sofa Slug[_2_] is offline

Default Samsung and AT&T U-Verse HDMI error?

On 12/10/2010 8:53 AM, Keith wrote:
All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person. I told her that an error
message was displayed on my TV in my back bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image
-- either U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine underneath this
message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that mean that I cannot get
HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my
den. No such errors in the front den.

Keith Lee

Although AT&T SHOULD be able to provide you with a problem free HDMI
connection, this may actually end up being a non-issue. Both HDMI and
Component inputs (not composite - that connection is for SD only) will
provide you with an HD picture. Component connections use 3 RCA cables,
color coded red-green-blue, and/or labeled Y-Pb-Pr.

HDMI is technically capable of a better picture than Component, but
because U-Verse (& other cable providers) typically deliver a compressed
picture, the source material may not be of high enough quality to where
HDMI will make a difference over Component. You may actually get a
higher quality picture via the Component connections, since the
Motorola/Cisco boxes apparently have a black level problem with HDMI.