Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Faulty ALL Function on Comcast Remote Control

The "ALL" button on my Comcast "Custom 3 Device Remote Control" has
stopped working properly and only switches the cable box on and off, but
no longer controls the TV.

It's not a "synchronization" problem, I know how to fix that.

When I press the ALL button, only the "Cable" button lights, and it
blinks 3 times.

I have to press the "TV" button and then the "Power" button to turn the
TV on or off.

I can also turn the cable box on or off by pressing the "Cable" button
and then the "Power" button.

I can't find anything in the Remote Control manual describing this
faulty action of the "ALL" button.

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 19, 12:41*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
The "ALL" button on my Comcast "Custom 3 Device Remote Control" has
stopped working properly and only switches the cable box on and off, but
no longer controls the TV.

I can't find anything in the Remote Control manual describing this
faulty action of the "ALL" button.

It's a bad manual (not guessing, I've been there).
The Comcast help menu might have instructions for doing the
programming of the remote for the function you want; that function
has to be turned OFF if you want to turn the TV off and let
your TiVO record during the night.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

whit3rd wrote:

On Nov 19, 12:41 pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

The "ALL" button on my Comcast "Custom 3 Device Remote Control" has
stopped working properly and only switches the cable box on and off, but
no longer controls the TV.

I can't find anything in the Remote Control manual describing this
faulty action of the "ALL" button.

It's a bad manual (not guessing, I've been there).
The Comcast help menu might have instructions for doing the
programming of the remote for the function you want; that function
has to be turned OFF if you want to turn the TV off and let
your TiVO record during the night.

Couldn't find anything on the Comcast web pages after about 20 minutes
of sesaching. I tried a live chat with a tech named Cheryl which left me
feeling that if God had wanted women to understand technology he would
have given them brains instead of boobs. (Just kidding ladies.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 19, 1:12*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

I can't find anything in the Remote Control manual ...

Couldn't find anything on the Comcast web pages

If it's digital cable, look at the onscreen menu features; that's
where the techs put the most helpful stuff, they only update the
web site as an afterthought.

The manual, might be the remote manufacturer's data; the
remote you got, has locked-in Comcast firmware settings
that only the local feed source knows about.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm going to make a wild suggestion... weak battery in the remote control.
The voltage is "sagging" by the time the sequencer gets to the TV power
signal.

I no longer have one of these, so I can't check -- but are you supposed to
hold down the button until everything comes on?

Finally... It might be that the unit is "busted". Of course, since the
operation is under microprocessor control, this seems unlikely.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

The "ALL" button on my Comcast "Custom 3 Device Remote Control" has
stopped working properly and only switches the cable box on and off, but
no longer controls the TV.

It's not a "synchronization" problem, I know how to fix that.

When I press the ALL button, only the "Cable" button lights, and it
blinks 3 times.

I have to press the "TV" button and then the "Power" button to turn the
TV on or off.

I can also turn the cable box on or off by pressing the "Cable" button
and then the "Power" button.

I can't find anything in the Remote Control manual describing this
faulty action of the "ALL" button.

Let them fix the problem, since you're paying them for the service.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist! I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I'm going to make a wild suggestion... weak battery in the remote control.
The voltage is "sagging" by the time the sequencer gets to the TV power
signal.

I no longer have one of these, so I can't check -- but are you supposed to
hold down the button until everything comes on?

Finally... It might be that the unit is "busted". Of course, since the
operation is under microprocessor control, this seems unlikely.

Thanks for waking my tired brain.

That "thwock" you may have heard wherever you are was ME giving myself a
"dope slap" to my forehead.

It was just run down batteries in the remote. I didn't think of that
because all the other functions in the remote were working just as they
should.

I checked the olde batteries with my little dry cell load tester and
they both read down in the "discharged" range.

Jeff (Now known as the red faced EE)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:20:21 -0500 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

The "ALL" button on my Comcast "Custom 3 Device Remote Control" has
stopped working properly and only switches the cable box on and off, but
no longer controls the TV.

It's not a "synchronization" problem, I know how to fix that.

When I press the ALL button, only the "Cable" button lights, and it
blinks 3 times.

I have to press the "TV" button and then the "Power" button to turn the
TV on or off.

I can also turn the cable box on or off by pressing the "Cable" button
and then the "Power" button.

I can't find anything in the Remote Control manual describing this
faulty action of the "ALL" button.

Let them fix the problem, since you're paying them for the service.

Yeah, but it's Comcast. It'll take three trips for the tech to figure out
what's wrong. Each trip wasting 4 hours of your time since they can never
give an exact time of when they'll come.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Let them fix the problem, since you're paying them
for the service.

Yeah, but it's Comcast. It'll take three trips for the tech
to figure out what's wrong. Each trip wasting 4 hours of
your time since they can never give an exact time when
they'll come.

Based on my suggestion, the OP resolved the problem several days ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:

Yeah, but it's Comcast. It'll take three trips for the tech to figure out
what's wrong. Each trip wasting 4 hours of your time since they can never
give an exact time of when they'll come.

You can't just exchange the remote over the counter?

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:25:10 -0500 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
:

JW wrote:

Yeah, but it's Comcast. It'll take three trips for the tech to figure out
what's wrong. Each trip wasting 4 hours of your time since they can never
give an exact time of when they'll come.

You can't just exchange the remote over the counter?

I suppose for a remote, you could. (Go ahead and ruin my fun!)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

JW wrote:

Yeah, but it's Comcast. It'll take three trips for the tech to figure out
what's wrong. Each trip wasting 4 hours of your time since they can never
give an exact time of when they'll come.

You can't just exchange the remote over the counter?

I suppose for a remote, you could. (Go ahead and ruin my fun!)

Fun? Only if you're a masochist!