Steve IA

Default TV remote control

If this is not the appropriate group, please direct me to a better.

My old RCA TV bit the dust this morning. I found a magnavox 27MS3404R on
sale and bought it. I got it home and hooked up ok, only to find that
the remote provided is for the TV only, and will not control the
satellite box or vcr or nothing else. I tried to reprogram the RCA
remote, but I can get only about 1/2 the functions to work. i.e. it will
turn the tv off, but not on, the setup menu will appear, but I can't
arrow to the options, etc. I've tried dozens of code numbers from every
website and documentation I can find. Only one code does anything, and
that is the limited functions described above.
I've decided I probably need to get a *GOOD* universal remote to control
these things, and I don't want to spend a lot of money.
With a Magnavox TV and a RCA sat. tuner, which are primarily the units I
want to control, would it be advantageous to aim for one of those
manufacturers when looking for a universal remote? Would a magnavox
remote give me a better chance of controlling all the tv
functions (off/on, volume, channel, picture menu etc) as well as the
fewer on the RCA sat. tuner (off/on/menu/channel).
Any suggestions apprectiated. Thank you.

Steve
41N
Jerry G.

You must bare in mind, that the universal remotes are limited to only the
basic functions. These would be basically that channels, volume, and
sometimes the input selections. Some of the universals, for some makes of
sets may be able to bring up some of the user menu functions. The problem
for the universal remote manufactures is that there are too many codes, and
too many variations of how to address the sets. If you were to have a
universal remote that can address everything, the cost would be too high to
sell it as a reasonably priced universal remote.

The best ones that I have seen over the years was the One For All remotes.
They have some very good remotes. The Chameleon is probably the best one
that I have seen. Another one that they have that is very good, is called
the Home Theatre Plus. These are available from many of the HiFi shop, and
also from Radio Shack. If you were to check out any of the consumer ratings,
the One For All products score very high.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Steve IA" wrote in message
[...]

Marko

I bought a Philips PHDVD5 learning remote from Best Buy for about $13.
It is has codes for most everything you might encounter. In addition,
it can be programmed for several custom functions. It is small and
lightweight. I use it for my Sony TV, Mitsubishi VCR, JVC DVD,
ReplayTV, and a completely bizarre HDTV tuner.

Marko

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:09:20 -0600, Steve IA wrote:

[...]

Choosing a HOT WATER RECIRCULATOR for QUICK HOT WATER DELIVERY or for HOT WATER ON D'MAND is now a whole lot easier. [email protected] Home Repair 22 June 7th 06 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Viesmann MC remote control pascal pirotte Electronics Repair 1 September 30th 04 02:08 PM
Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener Remote Control FYI SpongeBob SquarePants Rules! Home Repair 0 March 22nd 04 03:41 AM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM