Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

Default Vertical Lines

Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Additional: What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 22, 5:08*pm, "DB" wrote:
"DB" wrote in message

m...

Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. *There are vertical lines at the top of the
screen. *I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? *Thanks.

Mistake!! *I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! *Sorry.

If you can't find the vertical section, it's reasonable to assume you
can't find the dangerous EHT section either. I strongly recommend you
find someone to repair it for you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:08:53 -0400, DB ǝʇoɹʍ:

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of
the screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold
IC. Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Take it to a repair shop before you hurt yourself or worse.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Listen guys. I have a 2 year degree in elect/electronics. I know all about
the high voltage. I've been inside many a crt's without getting fried. I
once fixed a crt monitor by replacing a dead cap. I appreciate the concern.

New development: I realized it's as if the picture size has been increased
vertically to where the image has returned at the top but upside down. Is
there an adjustment or do I need to replace a component? Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:18:24 -0400, DB ǝʇoɹʍ:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of
the screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical
hold IC. Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Listen guys. I have a 2 year degree in elect/electronics.

I have a 35 year degree in experience on the job. The structure of your
questions are a dead giveaway (no pun intended) that you should not be
inside the back of a set relying on your associates degree to protect you.
That is unless you wrap it around your hand as an insulator.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

I believe it's called vertical fold over. I most likely need to replace a
bad cap near the vertical hold IC.
Which takes me back to my original question: Where is the vertical hold IC?
What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:18:24 -0400, DB ??o??:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of
the screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical
hold IC. Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Listen guys. I have a 2 year degree in elect/electronics.

I have a 35 year degree in experience on the job. The structure of your
questions are a dead giveaway (no pun intended) that you should not be
inside the back of a set relying on your associates degree to protect you.
That is unless you wrap it around your hand as an insulator.

I've already been in there. You're not responsible. Which IC is it?
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DB wrote:

Which takes me back to my original question: Where is the vertical hold
IC?
What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

There are two coils on the back of the CRT. The horizontal is connected to
the horizontal output transformer (which is also the high voltage
transformer, I'm sure you recognize it).

Now just track the connection to the other coil. This comes from the
vertical output stage, which is driven by the vertical sync circuit.

If your picture is stable besides of the wrong size, its probably not the
vertical IC at fault, but the power amplifier after it, or the power
supply.

If there are only a few lines, and they are crossing the picture diagonally,
then it's the beam which is not blanked during the vertical flyback. This
can be caused by a worn out picture tube, or by the grid bias voltages. I
don't know about your TV, but usually there are some potentiometers for
adjusting the grid voltages and slightly changing it makes the lines
diasppear. That's what it lools like:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...47_ohneUVB.jpg

Is yours similar to that?

Stefan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"DB" wrote in message
news:vLmdnX7vEcXgzbzRnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d@earthlink. com...

"DB" wrote in message
news:deadnRItKurh1rzRnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d@earthlink .com...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. *There are vertical lines at the top of
the screen. *I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical
hold IC. Where is the vertical hold IC? *Thanks.

Mistake!! *I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! *Sorry.

Listen guys. *I have a 2 year degree in elect/electronics.

I have a 35 year degree in experience on the job. The structure of your
questions are a dead giveaway (no pun intended) that you should not be
inside the back of a set relying on your associates degree to protect you.
That is unless you wrap it around your hand as an insulator.

I've already been in there. *You're not responsible. *Which IC is

it?
Thanks.

Then buy the service manual.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"Stefan Heimers" wrote in message
DB wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Finally some useful info. The symptoms look more like when the
picture is adjusted to large and it folds back, to where you can see and
image in the lines, but upside down. Only about 1" at the top.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:44:36 -0400, DB ǝʇoɹʍ:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:18:24 -0400, DB ??o??:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top
of the screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the
vertical hold IC. Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Listen guys. I have a 2 year degree in elect/electronics.

I have a 35 year degree in experience on the job. The structure of your
questions are a dead giveaway (no pun intended) that you should not be
inside the back of a set relying on your associates degree to protect
you. That is unless you wrap it around your hand as an insulator.

I've already been in there. You're not responsible. Which IC is it?
Thanks.

If you have a pdf document source for the schematic I'll have a look and
let you know.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DB wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:18:24 -0400, DB ??o??:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of
the screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical
hold IC. Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Listen guys. I have a 2 year degree in elect/electronics.

I have a 35 year degree in experience on the job. The structure of your
questions are a dead giveaway (no pun intended) that you should not be
inside the back of a set relying on your associates degree to protect you.
That is unless you wrap it around your hand as an insulator.

I've already been in there. You're not responsible. Which IC is it?

How do you know it's a bad IC?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DB wrote:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

I believe it's called vertical fold over. I most likely need to replace a
bad cap near the vertical hold IC.
Which takes me back to my original question: Where is the vertical hold IC?
What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Vertical hold? That went away, decades ago.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

DB wrote:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of
the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold
IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

I believe it's called vertical fold over. I most likely need to replace
bad cap near the vertical hold IC.
Which takes me back to my original question: Where is the vertical hold
IC?
What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Vertical hold? That went away, decades ago.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's knows
what he's talking about too.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:11:47 -0400, DB ǝʇoɹʍ:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

DB wrote:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top
of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold
IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

I believe it's called vertical fold over. I most likely need to
replace a
bad cap near the vertical hold IC.
Which takes me back to my original question: Where is the vertical
hold IC?
What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Vertical hold? That went away, decades ago.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's knows
what he's talking about too.

It's near the big thing with blue and yellow wires. That is on the side
of a thing that looks like a little green round thing but should be black
but if not maybe green also. Trace that thing over by the other thing and
you might see a thing that matches it. If so look to the left of that
thing and underneath another thing. Let me know how it works out for you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:11:47 -0400, DB ??o??:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

DB wrote:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Are you serious?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DB wrote:
That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's knows
what he's talking about too.

It's near the big thing with blue and yellow wires. That is on the side
of a thing that looks like a little green round thing but should be black
but if not maybe green also. Trace that thing over by the other thing and
you might see a thing that matches it. If so look to the left of that
thing and underneath another thing. Let me know how it works out for you.

Are you serious?

Brutally honest is the word that came to my mind. ;-)

Jeff

--
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:12:35 -0400, DB ǝʇoɹʍ:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:11:47 -0400, DB ??o??:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

DB wrote:

"DB" wrote in message
m...

"DB" wrote in message
m...
Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the
top of the
screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical
hold IC.
Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

I believe it's called vertical fold over. I most likely need to
replace a
bad cap near the vertical hold IC.
Which takes me back to my original question: Where is the vertical
hold IC?
What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Vertical hold? That went away, decades ago.

--
Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have
to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's
knows what he's talking about too.

It's near the big thing with blue and yellow wires. That is on the side
of a thing that looks like a little green round thing but should be
black but if not maybe green also. Trace that thing over by the other
thing and you might see a thing that matches it. If so look to the left
of that thing and underneath another thing. Let me know how it works
out for you.

Are you serious?

Hell yes!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:30:42 -0400, "DB" put finger to
keyboard and composed:

The symptoms look more like when the
picture is adjusted to large and it folds back, to where you can see and
image in the lines, but upside down. Only about 1" at the top.

The vertical amp IC is usually a SIP attached to a heatsink, around 9
pins or so.

Replace the electrolytic capacitors in the neighbourhood of this IC.

Typical part number prefixes are TA (Toshiba), AN (Matsu****a,
Panasonic), LA (Sanyo).

You can probably find a datasheet, with application circuit, he
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DB wrote:

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's knows
what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

DB wrote:

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's knows
what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

That's why I'm posting here, to get helpful information. Why are you
posting here? To shoot more negative bile out of your big mouth. Just
another jerk who's a really big man (on line).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DB wrote:

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's knows
what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

That's why I'm posting here, to get helpful information. Why are you
posting here? To shoot more negative bile out of your big mouth. Just
another jerk who's a really big man (on line).

Whatever you want to think. In two months, I will have worked 45
years in electronics manufacturing and repair. You will still be
bitter, and asking vague questions.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

DB wrote:

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's
knows
what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

That's why I'm posting here, to get helpful information. Why are you
posting here? To shoot more negative bile out of your big mouth. Just
another jerk who's a really big man (on line).

Whatever you want to think. In two months, I will have worked 45
years in electronics manufacturing and repair. You will still be
bitter, and asking vague questions.

That's funny. I though you were some young punk who hadn't learned any life
lessons yet, or who didn't know the value of being generally decent. Good
luck.

Some people die at 25 and aren't buried until 75. - Benjamin Franklin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:47:15 -0400, DB ǝʇoɹʍ:

DB wrote:

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's
knows what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

That's why I'm posting here, to get helpful information. Why are you
posting here? To shoot more negative bile out of your big mouth. Just
another jerk who's a really big man (on line).

sounds of WW2 B52 shot down in flames plummeting to earth

Well I guess this seals your fate as far as getting much in the way of
anything but ridicule from the regs here. Better try a repair group where
you haven't insulted everyone's intelligence.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DB DB is offline

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:47:15 -0400, DB ??o??:

DB wrote:

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's
knows what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

That's why I'm posting here, to get helpful information. Why are you
posting here? To shoot more negative bile out of your big mouth. Just
another jerk who's a really big man (on line).

sounds of WW2 B52 shot down in flames plummeting to earth

Well I guess this seals your fate as far as getting much in the way of
anything but ridicule from the regs here. Better try a repair group where
you haven't insulted everyone's intelligence.

everyone?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DB wrote:
That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's
knows what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

That's why I'm posting here, to get helpful information. Why are you
posting here? To shoot more negative bile out of your big mouth. Just
another jerk who's a really big man (on line).

sounds of WW2 B52 shot down in flames plummeting to earth

Well I guess this seals your fate as far as getting much in the way of
anything but ridicule from the regs here. Better try a repair group where
you haven't insulted everyone's intelligence.

everyone?

No, the rest will ingnore the insults from a child or troll.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:21:02 -0400, DB ǝʇoɹʍ:

DB wrote:

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's
knows what he's talking about too.

Sure he does. You sure don't.

That's why I'm posting here, to get helpful information. Why are you
posting here? To shoot more negative bile out of your big mouth.
Just another jerk who's a really big man (on line).

sounds of WW2 B52 shot down in flames plummeting to earth

Well I guess this seals your fate as far as getting much in the way of
anything but ridicule from the regs here. Better try a repair group
where you haven't insulted everyone's intelligence.

everyone?

I think that's a fair estimate. Although you still might someone who
feels sorry for you or hasn't read your oblique and ambiguous posts.