Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD Monitor problem - pixel over saturated in pictures where colors change

I have an old Sony LCD SDM-S81 that worked fine for me for a couple weeks after
I got it used. Today, I found it displaying pictures badly, distorting the
colors by seemingly greatly exagerating the intensity of colors in areas with
changing shades of colors (Photos and Video, mostly). Additionally, the colors
seem to flicker, as if the problem alternates at a high rate.

Can anyone give me any advance clues as to what to look for when I open it up?

It is the monitor. Plugging in my old CRT shows no suck problem.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob F wrote in message
I have an old Sony LCD SDM-S81 that worked fine for me for a couple weeks

after
I got it used. Today, I found it displaying pictures badly, distorting the
colors by seemingly greatly exagerating the intensity of colors in areas

with
changing shades of colors (Photos and Video, mostly). Additionally, the

colors
seem to flicker, as if the problem alternates at a high rate.

Can anyone give me any advance clues as to what to look for when I open it

up?

It is the monitor. Plugging in my old CRT shows no suck problem.

Thanks.

Sell it to a dance/night club ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Looks like an intermittant problem. Today it's working.

Bad solder joint?

Bob F wrote:
I have an old Sony LCD SDM-S81 that worked fine for me for a couple
weeks after I got it used. Today, I found it displaying pictures
badly, distorting the colors by seemingly greatly exagerating the
intensity of colors in areas with changing shades of colors (Photos
and Video, mostly). Additionally, the colors seem to flicker, as if
the problem alternates at a high rate.
Can anyone give me any advance clues as to what to look for when I
open it up?
It is the monitor. Plugging in my old CRT shows no such problem.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bad solder joint?

That would certainly be the first thing to check.

Is the problem on all colors, or just one?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Bad solder joint?

That would certainly be the first thing to check.

Is the problem on all colors, or just one?

First thing I saw was orange areas around faces, but also distortion on blue
areas, like a picture of an alpine lake. So probably all colors.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

First thing I saw was orange areas around faces...

Do you mean there's smearing or "blooming"?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
First thing I saw was orange areas around faces...

Do you mean there's smearing or "blooming"?

I don't know the proper term I guess.

On faces, there were irregular bright orange areas on faces, mostly near the
edges.

The lake picture had bright blue areas scattered of the darker blue surface,
along with exagerated colors on some of the surrounding mountains and
vegetation.

It showed things OK as far as I could tell on windows like outlook express where
colors were solid with sharp edges. Other windows with "solid" colors that fade
slightly from one shade to another would have exagerated colors in parts of
those shaded areas.

I tried taking some pictures. I'll see if I can find a place to post them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob F wrote:
Looks like an intermittant problem. Today it's working.

Bad solder joint?

And now it's not working right. It seems to flip-flop maybe once a day.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob F wrote:
I have an old Sony LCD SDM-S81 that worked fine for me for a couple
weeks after I got it used. Today, I found it displaying pictures
badly, distorting the colors by seemingly greatly exagerating the
intensity of colors in areas with changing shades of colors (Photos
and Video, mostly). Additionally, the colors seem to flicker, as if
the problem alternates at a high rate.
Can anyone give me any advance clues as to what to look for when I
open it up?
It is the monitor. Plugging in my old CRT shows no suck problem.

Thanks.

FWIW. I finally got around to opening the monitor. I unplugged and replugged the
internal connectors, and tried it again. It seems, so far, to be working fine
now. Maybe I got lucky.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

FWIW. I finally got around to opening the monitor.
I unplugged and replugged the internal connectors,
and tried it again. It seems, so far, to be working fine
now. Maybe I got lucky.

Obviously, the problem was caused by oxidized connections. Did you use a
cleaning agent, such as DeOxit, before reattaching the connectors? This
might keep the problem from recurring.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
FWIW. I finally got around to opening the monitor.
I unplugged and replugged the internal connectors,
and tried it again. It seems, so far, to be working fine
now. Maybe I got lucky.

Obviously, the problem was caused by oxidized connections. Did you
use a cleaning agent, such as DeOxit, before reattaching the
connectors? This might keep the problem from recurring.

I didn't, but will if the problem re-occurs. Thanks.