Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Big problem due to time change

While the time was in daylight savings time mode, I always fed my dog
at precisely 5pm. Now they changed the time and 5 oclock is actually
4 oclock. If I feed him now, he may get a digestive problem from
being fed an hour early even though the clock still says its 5 oclock.
If I wait until the 6 oclock, which is actually 5 oclock, then he may
notice the difference in the sun position and not want to eat, or will
eat too fast to compensate and thus get a digestive upset. Now, I
noticed that the raingutters on my house form the shadow on his dog
house. I am contemplating moving the rain gutters forward enough to
change the shadow by one hour. I realize this will require either
adding to the overhang on my house, or removing part of the existing
overhang. I am not sure which it is. Can someone tell me whether to
add to, or remove part of the overhang, and how many inches will
compensate for one hour's worth of shadow variance. I also am
wondering if changing from my present 4 inch wide gutter to a 6 inch
size would adjust the sun's angle enough to cope with at least part of
the hourly variable and rather than ripping the roof apart, I could
possibly change to a six inch gutter and add some sort of extension to
the gutter edge. Of course this all depends on whether I need to add
to the roof, or subtract from it, which I am still unsure.

Please advise. I already have a sick dog after only one day of time
change and it will continue to get worse if I do not act quickly. I'd
hate to lose my dog as a result of this time changing. My dog is my
best buddy and he needs the best of care.

Norman
Posted to alt.home.repair

, 11/5/2007,2:48:32 AM, wrote:

[...]

Take a digital thermometer and rip out the internal mechanism. Find a
small digital clock and put it in the thermometer. You MUST be able to
adjust the clock to any time you want. Insert the thermometer into
your dog's rectum far enough that his digestive system will pick up the
emanations from it and be fooled into thinking the time is actually 5
PM at meal time. This way you can always feed the dog at anytime that
is convenient for you. You also won't have to get near your gutters,
even to pull leaves out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 8:16?am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
, 11/5/2007,2:48:32 AM, wrote:
[...]

even to pull leaves out.- Hide quoted text -

a good friends son 3 years olf woke up at 4am for breakfast.

apparently the time change got him too

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:48:32 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Norm, get a gun and use it on the dog and yourself. Problem solved.
No more worries and you never need to worry about the clock changing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 12:01:09 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:48:32 -0600, wrote:

While the time was in daylight savings time mode, I always fed my dog

snip
hate to lose my dog as a result of this time changing. My dog is my
best buddy and he needs the best of care.

Norman

I wish the government would not mess with our clocks! I still have
not changed all of them. To make matters worse there are a couple
places in the US that refused the time-changes. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

This proves how stupid they are. The supposed reason for the time
change is so the kids going to school have light when they leave in
the morning. I can totally understand this, but DUH, HUH, DUH......
Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the schools start an hour
later on the first weekend in November when we have to change the
clocks and leave the rest of the world alone? If there are a few
businesses that want to follow the same policy, let them do the same
on their own accord. After all, schools and businesses set their own
agenda anyhow, and if they want to change their schedule, let them.
Heck, some businesses have 3 shifts and are open 24 hours a day.
Those that work the graveyard shift are always going to work in the
dark. I guess the government dont think we as individuals, or
schools, or businesses are smart enough to make and adapt our
schedules, so they have to do it for us.

Of course, we're not smart enough people to decide whether we want to
wear seatbelts, allow smoking in our restaurants, know what time to
close a bar, determine what sexes are allowed to marry, who can
install our plumbing, and much more. Lets face it. We the people are
complete idiots. We must have the government to think for us, or we
would all perish. We need them for our survival. And of course they
need us to keep paying all their fines for not wearing a seatbelt and
so on, or they'd all have to stop driving their limosines and begin
driving compact cars. Heaven forbid that.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

observer wrote:

If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this. ...

Certainly is! (We farmers are typically the ones most ag'in it--it's
the city slickers who want their weekends barbeques to start early).

Actually, the original idea in the US was first widely proposed by
Franklin and, was then, as now, designed w/ the idea of maximizing
office hours w/ daylight as an energy conservation measure--in those
days, candle tallow/whale oil/etc.

Now, it's justified by the same, but as noted is mostly the office
workers' dream to have time for their round of golf in the afternoon.

Meanwhile the farmer is still on the sun, year-round. It simply means
his day doesn't end until after 11PM by the clock if he changes it in
the midsummer days...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

George wrote:
observer wrote:

If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this. ...

It was originally proposed by Benjamin Franklin and put into law in the
US to save energy during WW1.

Dang! Ol' Ben really was gettin' long in the tooth by then, I bet!

My recollection is that while it wasn't codified until the Rationing Act
of WWI, it was actually utilized at least some in Ben's day because
candle tallow, etc., were scarce resources...

Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote:

If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this. Personally I find it a bit annoying
changing the clock twice a year too. I wonder if we just changed it
say 1/2 hour permanently and did away with the 1 hour back and forth
changes, if that would be adequate to make everyone (well better to
say almost everyone) happy?? I'm willing to compromise but heck I'm
easy .

It was originally proposed by Benjamin Franklin and put into law in the
US to save energy during WW1.

I think right now just like ethanol it is feel good stuff. Drivers
operating their single occupant aircraft carriers waste far more energy
than we can hope to save.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
George wrote:

It was originally proposed by Benjamin Franklin and put into law in the
US to save energy during WW1.

Wikipedia excerpt:

In 1905, the prominent English builder and outdoorsman William Willett
was inspired to invent DST during one of his pre-breakfast horseback
rides, when he observed with dismay how many Londoners slept through the
best part of a summer day.[16] An avid golfer, he also disliked cutting
short his round at dusk. His solution was to advance the clock during
the summer months, a proposal he published two years later.[17] He
lobbied unsuccessfully for the proposal until his death in 1915; see
Politics for more details. Wartime Germany, its allies, and their
occupied zones were the first European countries to use DST, starting
April 30, 1916. Britain, most other belligerents, and many European
neutrals soon followed suit, but Russia and a few other countries waited
until the next year, and the United States did not use it until 1918.
Since then the world has seen many enactments, adjustments, and repeals.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
George wrote:

It was originally proposed by Benjamin Franklin and put into law in the
US to save energy during WW1.

Wikipedia excerpt:

In 1905, the prominent English builder and outdoorsman William Willett
was inspired to invent DST ...

I fail to see how he (Williett) can be said to have "invented" it since
Franklin published the idea in the 18th century predating his discovery
by some 120 years...

This article discounts anything other than the satire, but I think there
was more to it than that even though it wasn't widely adopted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 08:12:35 -0600, observer wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 08:06:33 -0500, Frank
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:48:32 -0600, wrote:

While the time was in daylight savings time mode, I always fed my dog
snip
hate to lose my dog as a result of this time changing. My dog is my
best buddy and he needs the best of care.

Norman

I wish the government would not mess with our clocks! I still have
not changed all of them. To make matters worse there are a couple
places in the US that refused the time-changes. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I agree. OP is obviously being facetious but going through this ritual
twice a year is a PITA. I have a fax machine that I defy anyone to try
changing without the manual in front of them. Even one atomic clock gets
wacky and switches back and forth.

If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this. Personally I find it a bit annoying
changing the clock twice a year too. I wonder if we just changed it
say 1/2 hour permanently and did away with the 1 hour back and forth
changes, if that would be adequate to make everyone (well better to
say almost everyone) happy?? I'm willing to compromise but heck I'm
easy .

Farmers dont use clocks. I know, I am one. When the crops need
planting or harvesting, we often work around the clock, or we get up
at sunrise no matter what the clock says and we feed our animals.
Farmers dont punch time clocks. The weather dictates our schedule as
well as sick animals and crop readiness. My animals dont care if the
clock says 6am or 7am, as long as they are fed at sunrise (or whatever
time they are fed). When an animal is sick, whether it's 8am, noon,
or midnight, we have to be there to take care of them, and expect our
vets to come at any hour of the day or night. Time changes do
absolutely nothing for farmers, and those farmers that do also work
full time jobs actually lose an hour of light at the end of the day
(after their full time jobs) once the daylight savings time is over.

People that work in offices and factories are the one that punch time
clocks and are affected. Personally, if I worked a timed job, I'd
rather have it light for a short while when I get home from work than
have extra light when I am going to work. At least an extended
evening allows for some outdoor home repairs, whereas earlier in the
morning dont allow for much of anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

--

Standard time was invented by the railroads in the United States in the
1800s, long after Franklin was dead. It was even called "railroad

Since DST is an adjustment to standard time, it's hard to say that what
Franklin proposed was DST.

I guess if you believe the history books, though, everything that exists
was invented by either Franklin or Edison.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
George wrote:

[...]

I suppose if one is precise in the definition as being the movement
relative to standard time, that's one definition. My thinking is the
concept is more fundamental of switching the "normal" business hours to
when they were to something earlier, whatever the specific reference.

I'll live either way, and as the other farmer noted, live by the sun
either whatever the townies do... The real pita is the things that
need doing in town that close on "early time".

As a side note, it's local county option here--the counties w/ the
smaller towns where the majority population are farm/ranch-resident swap
back and forth between Central and Mountain zones and leave the clocks
the same. The other counties that have some larger towns end up
following the rest and change...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 9:12 am, observer wrote:
If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this.

FOR the farmers? Yeah, right. Everybody else operates by what the
clock says. Farmers operate by the position of the sun. They can't go
out to harvest certain crops until the dew is off, and daylight
savings time "delays" their ability to start harvesting by an hour.
Instead of being able to start at noon, they can't start until 1PM.
The cows need to be milked at 5PM and 5AM because the milk pickup guy
works by the clock, and that clock says he picks up the milk at 8AM.
It's got to be in the tank and cold when he comes, or it doesn't get
picked up at all and must be dumped on the ground. The farmer's lost
an hour of valuable harvest time because of daylight savings.

No, daylight savings time is for the city folks and suburbanites, so
they have an extra hour of "play" time after work during the summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Farmers operate by the position of the sun. They can't go
out to harvest certain crops until the dew is off, and daylight
savings time "delays" their ability to start harvesting by an hour.
Instead of being able to start at noon, they can't start until 1PM.

If they don't operate by the clock, why does that matter?

The cows need to be milked at 5PM and 5AM because the milk pickup guy
works by the clock, and that clock says he picks up the milk at 8AM.
It's got to be in the tank and cold when he comes, or it doesn't get
picked up at all and must be dumped on the ground.

OK, understandable

The farmer's lost
an hour of valuable harvest time because of daylight savings.

How so? The sun goes down at the same time no matter what the clock says.
If the farmer is not operating buy the clock, that should not matter.

No, daylight savings time is for the city folks and suburbanites, so
they have an extra hour of "play" time after work during the summer.

Partly true, some of us do take advantage of that time to do some work when
we get home. If I was in charge of time, I'd keep DST year round where I am
in the time zone, maybe move it another hour ahead..

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Overall, your analysis is right, Edwin. It's more simply a case of
being a pita in having to do some things on "city time" even when it
doesn't match rather than any actual loss. We don't dairy so can't
comment specifically on whether any of the pickups are so rigid in
following the time switch or not -- really can't imagine so in these
days for sizable dairies, anyway. The dairies around here milk 24/7,
anyway, w/ only about a 3-4 hr window when they do the cleaning, etc.
Other than that, there's always a group in line waiting to be milked and
another on the way back out...

Banking and other services that are "early closers" anyway are
especially problematical. Mundane stuff can, of course, be taken care
of via the 'net these days, but some things aren't conducive (discussing
next year's operating capital plan, for instance). Of course, those
kinds of things aren't scheduled to happen routinely during peak harvest
or planting time, but if there's any area where "stuff happens", ag
qualifies, so one never knows.

During harvest and planting seasons the grain elevators and fuel
suppliers that do farm deliveries work extended hours, too; as do the
equipment dealers for parts, etc. Other ancillary services may or may
not and sometimes that can be a problem when their 5PM closing is still
middle of the afternoon for us.

It is somehow disconcerting, even if it is only psychological, to still
have daylight at nearly 11PM. Of course, those in more northern
latitudes are more used to that, but still, for them the same effect
must still hold. I find it much like traveling to the West Coast from
the East--you tend to go to bed on western time but awake on
eastern--after a while this gets really old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Banking and other services that are "early closers" anyway are especially
problematical. Mundane stuff can, of course, be taken care of via the
'net these days, but some things aren't conducive (discussing next year's
operating capital plan, for instance). Of course, those kinds of things
aren't scheduled to happen routinely during peak harvest or planting time,
but if there's any area where "stuff happens", ag qualifies, so one never
knows.

Most anything goes at any time any more (be that good or bad) at least in
the city. Twenty years ago, who'd have ever thought banks would be open on
a Sunday? Of course, farmers work Sundays too.

It is somehow disconcerting, even if it is only psychological, to still
have daylight at nearly 11PM. Of course, those in more northern latitudes
are more used to that, but still, for them the same effect must still
hold.

You must be on the tail end of the time zone and I'm on the front end. That
alone makes quite a difference in perception. On the longest day, it is dark
by 9:30.

Regionality comes into play also. When I lived in Philadelphia, typical
shop hours were 8 - 4. Here in northeast CT, 7 - 3 is more common and 6 - 2
is often done too.

As for farmers, they have a good life. The Farmer's Market is open three
days a week from 4 to 6 from May to October. No wonder they have to get $3
a pound for tomatoes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

Banking and other services that are "early closers" anyway are especially
problematical. ...

Most anything goes at any time any more (be that good or bad) at least in
the city. Twenty years ago, who'd have ever thought banks would be open on
a Sunday? Of course, farmers work Sundays too.

Well, that may be true in the city, but it isn't in rural areas. We
happen to be relatively close to the one decent-sized town that has a
Wally-World and there is a branch bank there. Being as I so rarely am
in there, I don't know whether they have any Sunday hours or not -- I
suppose they probably do since it's the most popular spot for the
packing plant employees, but I'd almost wager there's nothing more than
a teller window on Sunday. And, of course, anything that I needed to
discuss that couldn't be done online or over the phone couldn't be
handled at the branch location, anyway. Here it's still local banks,
local folks, business the handshake way...

It is somehow disconcerting, even if it is only psychological, to still
have daylight at nearly 11PM. Of course, those in more northern latitudes
are more used to that, but still, for them the same effect must still
hold.

You must be on the tail end of the time zone and I'm on the front end. That
alone makes quite a difference in perception. On the longest day, it is dark
by 9:30.

Yes. When we were in VA were much more nearly in the middle of a zone
plus being in the shadow of the Blue Ridge made days there end quite
early it seemed. Here and where we were in TN, we're on the very edge
of the zone. As I noted in another response, many of the area counties
simply swap back and forth between Central and Mountain zones and never
move the clocks. Only the counties that have large enough towns that
the townies can out-vote the rest do they actually change. That of
course, includes our county w/ the largest town in 80 mile radius and
the sizable packing plant hourly workforce.

Regionality comes into play also. When I lived in Philadelphia, typical
shop hours were 8 - 4. Here in northeast CT, 7 - 3 is more common and 6 - 2
is often done too.

As for farmers, they have a good life. The Farmer's Market is open three
days a week from 4 to 6 from May to October. No wonder they have to get $3
a pound for tomatoes.

Yeah, right...

It's akin to teaching -- you don't do it for the money or you're in the
wrong line of work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote in message
If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this.

The reason that farmers are associated with DST is that the Grange tried to
prevent the start of Daylight Savings Time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

hollenback wrote:
observer wrote in message
If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this.

The reason that farmers are associated with DST is that the Grange tried to
prevent the start of Daylight Savings Time.

Makes sense, but if I had known it, had forgotten that tidbit...

Balancing radiators - time taken for temperature change Codswallop UK diy 21 October 30th 06 03:38 PM
Time change chaos h Home Repair 0 November 1st 05 06:36 AM
Time change chaos Shirley Thebaglady Home Repair 8 November 1st 05 04:54 AM
Time change chaos larry Home Repair 0 October 31st 05 04:57 AM