Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need Help With TV

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 that has no sound. Something popped and
smoked and when the sound stopped. The picture is still fine. I've taken off
the back and took off the center metal cover. Everything looks fine there.
There is another metal cover that I cannot take off without being a little
inventive. Under that cover I suspect will be the amplifier board? There
should be something visibly burned there but I can't see it with the cover in
place.

If that circuit board is fried, is it possible for me to buy a new one and
install it myself?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 17, 12:34*pm, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 *

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Did you connect up external speakers to this set?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

Connect a pair of computer speakers, or run them to an aux input on a
stereo.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

Connect a pair of computer speakers, or run them to an aux input on a
stereo.

My computer speakers have a different connection. I don't have a stereo on hand
with an aux input. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can dig up to
test this out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Alex Thomm wrote:
In , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex wrote:
In , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex wrote:
In , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

Connect a pair of computer speakers, or run them to an aux input on a
stereo.

My computer speakers have a different connection. I don't have a stereo on hand
with an aux input. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can dig up to
test this out.

Does this TV have a headphone jack? If so, try it to see if you get
sound there.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17 Jan 2010 11:13:10 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

Connect a pair of computer speakers, or run them to an aux input on a
stereo.

My computer speakers have a different connection. I don't have a stereo on hand
with an aux input. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can dig up to
test this out.

Getting a rca to stereo miniplug adapter is trivial. Any target,
walmart, radio shack will have them. Even a well stocked truck stop
will have one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 17, 2:47*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

With all due respect, and I mean this in the most gentle way, if you
don't know how to verify if you have a line output, how do you think
you're going to troubleshoot an electronic circuit?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Alex Thomm" wrote in message
In article
,
says...

On Jan 17, 2:47=A0pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On 17 Jan 2010 11:13:10 -0800, Alex Thomm
wrote=

:

In article ,
AZ=

Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm
wro=

te:
In article ,
=

AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm
w=

rote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 =A0

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? =A0If not, you can run them to
=

pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or
not=

. =A0Is
there an easy way to find this out?

Connect a pair of computer speakers, or run them to an aux input on a
stereo.
My computer speakers have a different connection. =A0I don't have a
ster=

eo on hand
with an aux input. =A0Thanks for the suggestions. =A0I'll see what I
can=

dig up to
test this out.

Getting a rca to stereo miniplug adapter is trivial. =A0Any target,
walmart, radio shack will have them. =A0Even a well stocked truck stop
will have one.

With all due respect, and I mean this in the most gentle way, if you
don't know how to verify if you have a line output, how do you think
you're going to troubleshoot an electronic circuit?

With patience. I was a bit dense at first but I understand now. Thanks
to all
for the help.

If something went pop, and magic smoke was released, there's a good chance
that you will find that the side has blown out of the audio output IC. To an
experienced engineer with appropriate desoldering equipment, and the skills
to use it, replacement of such an IC is a trivial task. However, if you
don't have those skills and equipment, which your post would suggest you
don't, you will struggle to remove the old IC from the PCB, without doing
damage to the tracking.

Unless you feel confident to do this, then I would go along with what others
have said, and try running the audio line outs through an external
amplifier, or take the TV to a reputable repair shop. If you do decide to
pursue finding the problem, *please* be VERY careful . TV sets use
switchmode power supplies, and these are VERY dangerous - actually
potentially lethal ... :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Zap Zap is offline

Alex Thomm wrote:

In article , AZ Nomad
says...
Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

That statement suggests to me that you have no business messing about
inside a TV.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Arfa Daily says...

"Alex Thomm" wrote in message
In article
,
[...]

I think that's what I already suggested in layman's terms.

To an experienced engineer with appropriate desoldering equipment,
and the skills to use it, replacement of such an IC is a trivial task. However,
if you don't have those skills and equipment, which your post
would suggest you don't, you will struggle to remove the old IC from
the PCB, without doing damage to the tracking.

What is tracking?

Unless you feel confident to do this,

I am plenty confident. What do you suggest?

then I would go along with what others
have said, and try running the audio line outs through an external
amplifier, or take the TV to a reputable repair shop. If you do decide to
pursue finding the problem, *please* be VERY careful . TV sets use
switchmode power supplies, and these are VERY dangerous - actually
potentially lethal ... :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Zap says...

Alex Thomm wrote:

In article , AZ Nomad
says...
Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

That statement suggests to me that you have no business messing about
inside a TV.

Well, certainly there are other things that I would rather mess about inside,
but right now I'm concerned with the TV.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Alex Thomm" wrote in message
In article , Arfa Daily says...

"Alex Thomm" wrote in message
In article
,
[...]

You did not suggest in your original post, in layman's terms or any other,
that you knew it was likely to be the audio IC that you were looking for, or
in exactly what way it would be damaged. You only said that you thought you
would be looking for "something visibly burned". The reason that I told you
that it was likely to be the audio IC, and that it may well have the side
blown off, is that if you don't know what you are looking for, which clearly
you don't, an IC damaged in such a way may not be immediately apparent.

To an experienced engineer with appropriate desoldering equipment,
and the skills to use it, replacement of such an IC is a trivial task.
However,

if you don't have those skills and equipment, which your post
would suggest you don't, you will struggle to remove the old IC from
the PCB, without doing damage to the tracking.

What is tracking?

I'm afraid that, much as I like to encourage people in the field of
electronic repair, in this case I have to agree with others, that perhaps
you should not be attempting to repair a TV set.

Without even the knowledge of what PCB tracking is (in this particular
context, it refers to the copper "tracks" which interconnect items on the
pcb), then I feel that taking on this repair, is beyond your abilities to do
safely and reliably.

Unless you feel confident to do this,

I am plenty confident. What do you suggest?

If you want to go one stage further, follow the wires back from the TV's
internal loudspeakers. They will (probably) land on the main PCB very near
to the audio IC, although that is not guaranteed to be the case, either. It
will likely be a flat plastic device with around 12 to 20 'staggered' pins
on it, and be bolted to a heatsink. Be aware, though, that there could be
other ICs in there as well, which match the same general description ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm
wrote:

In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

And you think you can fix it?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Arfa Daily says...

If you want to go one stage further, follow the wires back from the TV's
internal loudspeakers. They will (probably) land on the main PCB very near
to the audio IC, although that is not guaranteed to be the case, either. It
will likely be a flat plastic device with around 12 to 20 'staggered' pins
on it, and be bolted to a heatsink. Be aware, though, that there could be
other ICs in there as well, which match the same general description ...

OK, I followed the wires back to the largest PCB. There are no heat sinks
there. I think the best thing for me to do is post a photo of the circuit
boards, but that will have to wait because my computer got infected with Anti
Virus Live. What a mess! I can't do anything. It blocks everything that I try
to do, and it still infects when I boot in safe mode. I'm typing this on my
laptop and I have no way to transfer photos to it easily.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , PeterD says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm
wrote:

In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

And you think you can fix it?

Trying to fix something is better than slingin insults, which isn't all that
productive, yeah?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 18, 10:15*am, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , PeterD says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm
wrote:

In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 *

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? *If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. *Is
there an easy way to find this out?

And you think you can fix it?

Trying to fix something is better than slingin insults, which isn't all that
productive, yeah?- Hide quoted text -

I asked you if you had ever tried to connect external speakers to this
set directly by opening it up and tying your external speakers onto
the TV's speakers, or worse yet connecting the TV's speakers to an
external audio amplifier. . People do this all the time and blow up
the audio output IC if any of their external speaker lines are earth
grounded. They also cause other major damage and create a serious
shock hazzard for themselves and unsuspecting others. It is unusual
for an IC to blow up. It does happen but I think I would look for a
blown electrolytic capacitor as well. Also use an isolation
transformer and again no insult intended, have an assistant close by
who can call rescue just in case you've "fallen and can't get up".
Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

And you think you can fix it?

Trying to fix something is better than slingin insults, which isn't all that
productive, yeah?

Ignore their insults. You may be able to fix it. It could be a
learning experience, good or bad. You'll never know until you
try.

Some seem to forget how they gained their knowledge in the first
place, and now that they have that knowledge they discourage
others from taking the same path they did.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18 Jan 2010 07:15:55 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , PeterD says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm
wrote:

In article , AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm wrote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is
there an easy way to find this out?

And you think you can fix it?

Trying to fix something is better than slingin insults, which isn't all that
productive, yeah?

Actually no. Somebody who can't figure out how to connect a simple
pair of cables is going to likely get himself killed if he makes
the mistake of removing the cabinet cover.

This is really basic stuff.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18/01/2010 15:01, Alex Thomm wrote:
What a mess! I can't do anything. It blocks everything that I try
to do, and it still infects when I boot in safe mode. I'm typing this on my
laptop and I have no way to transfer photos to it easily.

It's about then I type into google.

Troll. :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

And you think you can fix it?

Trying to fix something is better than slingin insults, which isn't all
that
productive, yeah?

Ignore their insults. You may be able to fix it. It could be a
learning experience, good or bad. You'll never know until you
try.

Some seem to forget how they gained their knowledge in the first
place, and now that they have that knowledge they discourage
others from taking the same path they did.

That's not really the case. I, for one, actively encourage people to 'have a
go' with help from those of us who *do* have the knowledge, but by the same
token, we have to be realistic in evaluating the poster's current level of
expertise, to see if what they have is appropriate for the type of repair
they are trying to undertake. TV sets are potentially *very* dangerous, and
it would be irresponsible of us to actively encourage someone who we felt
might endanger themselves (or others) by 'having a go'. It's called "making
a judgement call", and I have not seen any comments in this thread that are
anything much more than that. For sure, some replies are couched in less
than 'gentle' terms, but with usenet newsgroups, that's pretty much the
nature of the beast ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 18, 8:29*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I hope the OP is in the USA, where he will onlu have to worry about
165-175 volts from the power supply compared to double that in the UK
and points east. I also encourage people to try, but share your
concern that the OP seems vary naive and possibly likely capable of
executing himself. The OP should go to the
sci.electronics.repair.faq and read it through before going any
further.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Alex Thomm" wrote in message
In article
,
says...

On Jan 17, 2:47=A0pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On 17 Jan 2010 11:13:10 -0800, Alex Thomm
wrote=
:

In article ,
AZ=
Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm
wro=
te:
In article
, =
AZ Nomad
says...

[...]

Often a non-technical person comes onto the newsgroups wanting to know “what
always goes wrong” simply because they are too cheap to pay to have
something fixed. Additionally, they believe they can gain whatever
information or expertise they might need from the Internet, at no cost or
below even the most modest market value of the repair. This is sometimes
true (unfortunately), but the fact is that most of these people have no
business working on electronic equipment AT ALL. These people have no
respect for our profession, viewing it (and us) as a commodity they can
essentially pick up at Wal-Mart for pennies on the dollar, or even for
nothing at all.

I'm not opposed to helping newbies, if they have some hint of technical
ability, but a television is a bad place to start learning.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 17, 9:32*am, Alex Thomm wrote:
I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 that has no sound. *Something popped and
smoked and when the sound stopped. *The picture is still fine. *I've taken off
the back and took off the center metal cover. *Everything looks fine there.
There is another metal cover that I cannot take off without being a little
inventive. *Under that cover I suspect will be the amplifier board? *There
should be something visibly burned there but I can't see it with the cover in
place.

If that circuit board is fried, is it possible for me to buy a new one and
install it myself?

I have to agree that this may not be the best place to start learning
electronics. With HC/HV (high current/high voltage), you rarely if
ever get a second chance. Not to mentions, that just acquiring the
tools to do the job correctly can easily cost more than a repair. At
least have a friend that knows electronics help you. If you make the
currently wise decision to take it to a shop, they may let you hang
around and watch them troubleshoot it and fix it. I understand that
taking things into a shop to have them fixed, may not be economically
viable for everyone, but a television is not worth dieing for.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 20, 3:52*am, Sansui Samari wrote:
[...]

Mark, I have to say that you definitly put it like it is. I can't tell
you how many people have told me over the years something like, "my TV
won't come on and the little power button in the front needs to be
replaced". Or they want to buy a resistor to replace the one that has
completely illegibly incinerated. I will talk them out of the repair,
however I have friends in the trade that will sell them the fuse and
resistor because they know as sure as there will be another sunset
that as soon as the next smoke test is over, he'll never hear from the
fool again. ..Lenny.