Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Alex Thomm Alex Thomm is offline

Default Need Help With TV

In article , Arfa Daily says...

"Alex Thomm" wrote in message
In article
,
says...

On Jan 17, 2:47=A0pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On 17 Jan 2010 11:13:10 -0800, Alex Thomm
wrote=
:

In article ,
AZ=
Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 10:24:53 -0800, Alex Thomm
wro=
te:
In article ,
=
AZ Nomad
says...

On 17 Jan 2010 09:34:29 -0800, Alex Thomm
w=
rote:
In article , Alex Thomm says...

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 =A0

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Are the sound line outputs also dead? =A0If not, you can run them to
=
pair of amplified speakers.

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or
not=
. =A0Is
there an easy way to find this out?

Connect a pair of computer speakers, or run them to an aux input on a
stereo.
My computer speakers have a different connection. =A0I don't have a
ster=
eo on hand
with an aux input. =A0Thanks for the suggestions. =A0I'll see what I
can=
dig up to
test this out.

Getting a rca to stereo miniplug adapter is trivial. =A0Any target,
walmart, radio shack will have them. =A0Even a well stocked truck stop
will have one.

With all due respect, and I mean this in the most gentle way, if you
don't know how to verify if you have a line output, how do you think
you're going to troubleshoot an electronic circuit?

With patience. I was a bit dense at first but I understand now. Thanks
to all
for the help.

If something went pop, and magic smoke was released, there's a good chance
that you will find that the side has blown out of the audio output IC.

I think that's what I already suggested in layman's terms.

To an experienced engineer with appropriate desoldering equipment,
and the skills to use it, replacement of such an IC is a trivial task. However,
if you don't have those skills and equipment, which your post
would suggest you don't, you will struggle to remove the old IC from
the PCB, without doing damage to the tracking.

What is tracking?

Unless you feel confident to do this,

I am plenty confident. What do you suggest?

then I would go along with what others
have said, and try running the audio line outs through an external
amplifier, or take the TV to a reputable repair shop. If you do decide to
pursue finding the problem, *please* be VERY careful . TV sets use
switchmode power supplies, and these are VERY dangerous - actually
potentially lethal ... :-(

Arfa