Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462002@yahoo.com is offline

Default Need Help With TV

On Jan 20, 3:52*am, Sansui Samari wrote:
On Jan 17, 9:32*am, Alex Thomm wrote:

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 that has no sound. *Something popped and
smoked and when the sound stopped. *The picture is still fine. *I've taken off
the back and took off the center metal cover. *Everything looks fine there.
There is another metal cover that I cannot take off without being a little
inventive. *Under that cover I suspect will be the amplifier board? *There
should be something visibly burned there but I can't see it with the cover in
place.

If that circuit board is fried, is it possible for me to buy a new one and
install it myself?

I have to agree that this may not be the best place to start learning
electronics. *With HC/HV (high current/high voltage), you rarely if
ever get a second chance. *Not to mentions, that just acquiring the
tools to do the job correctly can easily cost more than a repair. *At
least have a friend that knows electronics help you. *If you make the
currently wise decision to take it to a shop, they may let you hang
around and watch them troubleshoot it and fix it. *I understand that
taking things into a shop to have them fixed, may not be economically
viable for everyone, but a television is not worth dieing for.

Mark, I have to say that you definitly put it like it is. I can't tell
you how many people have told me over the years something like, "my TV
won't come on and the little power button in the front needs to be
replaced". Or they want to buy a resistor to replace the one that has
completely illegibly incinerated. I will talk them out of the repair,
however I have friends in the trade that will sell them the fuse and
resistor because they know as sure as there will be another sunset
that as soon as the next smoke test is over, he'll never hear from the
fool again. ..Lenny.