Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fan Motor ID ?

Hey, a good customer of mine brought in an insertion blower fan unit
for a wood stove which is non functional. Rather than pay another $200
plus to replace the whole blower unit (again, 3rd time), I would like
to replace the 120v AC motor.

I've had a little difficulty tracking the thing down as the company
(CFM) is gone.

The motor has a company logo on it which I can't ID. (Looks like
"RU"?)
Maybe someone could take a look at the snap I took and see if you may
know the manufacturer.

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-015F.jpg

Much obliged,

Spark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/12/2010 10:02 AM Sparkey spake thus:

Hey, a good customer of mine brought in an insertion blower fan unit
for a wood stove which is non functional. Rather than pay another $200
plus to replace the whole blower unit (again, 3rd time), I would like
to replace the 120v AC motor.

I've had a little difficulty tracking the thing down as the company
(CFM) is gone.

The motor has a company logo on it which I can't ID. (Looks like
"RU"?)
Maybe someone could take a look at the snap I took and see if you may
know the manufacturer.

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-015F.jpg

"RU" (probably a backwards "R", right?) isn't a company, it's a
regulatory agency, like UL. So that's no clue at all.

Chances are you're not going to be able to track down this particular
motor from that manufacturer. But chances are also very good that you
can find a replacement that will work. One place to look is Grainger
(http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml). Another possible
source is Reliable Parts (http://www.reliableparts.com). There are other
sources out there as well.

You need to match the following:

o Motor size, obviously
o Shaft size (length x dia.) + shape (round, flat, etc.)
o Voltage (probably 120)
o Rotation (CW or CCW)
o Speed (close enough is close enough)

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/12/2010 10:02 AM Sparkey spake thus:

Hey, a good customer of mine brought in an insertion blower fan unit
for a wood stove which is non functional. Rather than pay another $200
plus to replace the whole blower unit (again, 3rd time), I would like
to replace the 120v AC motor.

I've had a little difficulty tracking the thing down as the company
(CFM) is gone.

The motor has a company logo on it which I can't ID. (Looks like
"RU"?)
Maybe someone could take a look at the snap I took and see if you may
know the manufacturer.

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...action=view&cu
rrent=MVC-015F.jpg

"RU" (probably a backwards "R", right?) isn't a company, it's a
regulatory agency, like UL. So that's no clue at all.

Chances are you're not going to be able to track down this particular
motor from that manufacturer. But chances are also very good that you
can find a replacement that will work. One place to look is Grainger
(http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml). Another possible
source is Reliable Parts (http://www.reliableparts.com). There are other
sources out there as well.

You need to match the following:

o Motor size, obviously
o Shaft size (length x dia.) + shape (round, flat, etc.)
o Voltage (probably 120)
o Rotation (CW or CCW)
o Speed (close enough is close enough)

Another thing, it may also be dual shaft.

I would also look in the surplus houses.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:02:06 -0800 (PST), Sparkey
wrote:

Hey, a good customer of mine brought in an insertion blower fan unit
for a wood stove which is non functional. Rather than pay another $200
plus to replace the whole blower unit (again, 3rd time), I would like
to replace the 120v AC motor.

I've had a little difficulty tracking the thing down as the company
(CFM) is gone.

The motor has a company logo on it which I can't ID. (Looks like
"RU"?)
Maybe someone could take a look at the snap I took and see if you may
know the manufacturer.

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-015F.jpg

Much obliged,

Spark

1. Post a picture of the entire fan, not just the label.

2. The RU (backwards R) is the underwriter's service mark for a
component.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

1. Post a picture of the entire fan, not just the label.

2. The RU (backwards R) is the underwriter's service mark for a
component.

....underwriters....Learn something new every day....

I checked Grainger and reliable parts but this motor is smaller than
the ones I saw.
It's closer to the size of an AC table fan motor. 120 volt CW 2500
rpm

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-002F.jpg

Here's a group of photo bucket pic's of this thing (squirrel cage too)
maybe this will give you a better idea.
appreciate your taking a look.

Spark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/13/2010 10:54 AM Sparkey spake thus:

I checked Grainger and reliable parts but this motor is smaller than
the ones I saw.
It's closer to the size of an AC table fan motor. 120 volt CW 2500
rpm

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-002F.jpg

Here's a group of photo bucket pic's of this thing (squirrel cage too)

What you got there, good buddy, is your regular old
fractional-horsepower shaded-pole motor. Not likely to find that at
Grainger or any other place selling new stuff. Better to look at the
surplus vendors, like:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...key word=MMAD
http://www.allelectronics.com
http://www.electronicsurplus.com
http://www.alltronics.com

It'll take some wading through their (often badly-organized) pages, but
I feel confident you'll find something close enough to work.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Sparkey wrote:

1. Post a picture of the entire fan, not just the label.

2. The RU (backwards R) is the underwriter's service mark for a
component.

....underwriters....Learn something new every day....

I checked Grainger and reliable parts but this motor is smaller than
the ones I saw.
It's closer to the size of an AC table fan motor. 120 volt CW 2500
rpm

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...ction=view&cur
rent=MVC-002F.jpg

Here's a group of photo bucket pic's of this thing (squirrel cage too)
maybe this will give you a better idea.
appreciate your taking a look.

Spark

Google shaded pole motor. Select image and look around.
You may also be able to get the whole assembly making it easier
to find a match.

Just click
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sparkey wrote:
1. Post a picture of the entire fan, not just the label.

2. The RU (backwards R) is the underwriter's service mark for a
component.

...underwriters....Learn something new every day....

I checked Grainger and reliable parts but this motor is smaller than
the ones I saw.
It's closer to the size of an AC table fan motor. 120 volt CW 2500
rpm

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-002F.jpg

Here's a group of photo bucket pic's of this thing (squirrel cage too)
maybe this will give you a better idea.
appreciate your taking a look.

Spark

That's a common shaded pole motor, used by the gazillion in household and
kitchen appliances You might take your motor to an appliance parts store
and see if they can match it to a commonly used motor. Alternatively, check
out the motor at http://skycraftsurplus.com/115vacfan...mentmotor.aspx
and see if it will fit your blower. You'll need to measure the mounting
centers and pattern on your motor and see if they match up.
If you can match the mounting dimensions, check out the whole assembly at
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=FAN.
It's not a direct match, but might be close enough that you could make it
fit.

Also, if you can wire in a low voltage transformer or a DC power supply (as
appropriate), you could go for a 12V or 24V version of your blower. Look at
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=FAN
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-BLOWER/1.html
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...tname=electric

Cheers
--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

out the motor athttp://skycraftsurplus.com/115vacfanreplacementmotor.aspx
If you can match the mounting dimensions, check out the whole assembly athttp://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H.....
It's not a direct match, but might be close enough that you could make it
fit.

Also, if you can wire in a low voltage transformer or a DC power supply (as
appropriate), you could go for a 12V or 24V version of your blower. *Look athttp://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H...http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...1463&item=16-9...

Cheers
--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

You guys are awesome !
Thanks for all the info and links.
Spark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You have a "C-Frame Shaded Pole" motor. You will also need to measure
the thickness of the stack of the laminations as that is part of the
motor specs of shaded pole motors. Typical are 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8",
etc.

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/Product...b_6_31_btnlink

http://www.emotorstore.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/14/2010 9:24 AM Ken Layton spake thus:

You have a "C-Frame Shaded Pole" motor. You will also need to measure
the thickness of the stack of the laminations as that is part of the
motor specs of shaded pole motors. Typical are 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8",
etc.

I wouldn't sweat the lamination thickness. If you find a motor that'll
fit, it'll work. This is a non-critical application.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sparkey Inscribed thus:

1. Post a picture of the entire fan, not just the label.

2. The RU (backwards R) is the underwriter's service mark for a
component.

...underwriters....Learn something new every day....

I checked Grainger and reliable parts but this motor is smaller than
the ones I saw.
It's closer to the size of an AC table fan motor. 120 volt CW 2500
rpm

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-002F.jpg

Here's a group of photo bucket pic's of this thing (squirrel cage too)
maybe this will give you a better idea.
appreciate your taking a look.

Spark

You can find that or a very similar motor in most small cheap fan
heaters. I've just bought a new one and scrapped the old one (element
OC ) the motor is very similar.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-9757.aspx

The link shows the new one. The old one is almost identical.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.