Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fan Motor ID ?

On 1/12/2010 10:02 AM Sparkey spake thus:

Hey, a good customer of mine brought in an insertion blower fan unit
for a wood stove which is non functional. Rather than pay another $200
plus to replace the whole blower unit (again, 3rd time), I would like
to replace the 120v AC motor.

I've had a little difficulty tracking the thing down as the company
(CFM) is gone.

The motor has a company logo on it which I can't ID. (Looks like
"RU"?)
Maybe someone could take a look at the snap I took and see if you may
know the manufacturer.

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVC-015F.jpg

"RU" (probably a backwards "R", right?) isn't a company, it's a
regulatory agency, like UL. So that's no clue at all.

Chances are you're not going to be able to track down this particular
motor from that manufacturer. But chances are also very good that you
can find a replacement that will work. One place to look is Grainger
(http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml). Another possible
source is Reliable Parts (http://www.reliableparts.com). There are other
sources out there as well.

You need to match the following:

o Motor size, obviously
o Shaft size (length x dia.) + shape (round, flat, etc.)
o Voltage (probably 120)
o Rotation (CW or CCW)
o Speed (close enough is close enough)

- a Usenet "apology"