Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IR remote

Upon trying to use my Panasonic portable DVD player (DVD-LS90)
I noticed the remote control has no effect on the unit. The battery
is good and makes good contact.

Is there a easy way to determine if the problem is the remote
transmitter or the receiver in the DVD player?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Upon trying to use my Panasonic portable DVD player (DVD-LS90)
I noticed the remote control has no effect on the unit. The battery
is good and makes good contact.

Is there a easy way to determine if the problem is the remote
transmitter or the receiver in the DVD player?

Many camcorders, and digital cameras can "see" near-infrared light to
some extent. Point the remote at your camera, look at the camera's
monitor screen, press a button on the remote, and see if you see
"light" from the IR emitter diode.

If you do, the remote is at least transmitting... although it might be
transmitting the wrong unit-code (if it's switch-selectable between
units) or might be emitting gibberish (if it's been dropped, and the
internal crystal oscillator has been damaged enough to shift its
operating frequency too far).

If you don't see "light" when you push a button on the remote (and if
you do, when you try the same test on a couple of known-good remotes
of some sort) then there's a fair chance that your remote is frotzed.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Upon trying to use my Panasonic portable DVD player (DVD-LS90)
I noticed the remote control has no effect on the unit. The battery
is good and makes good contact.

Is there a easy way to determine if the problem is the remote
transmitter or the receiver in the DVD player?

** No.

But an easy way to check if the remote is driving the IR LED with current is
to hold it near a portable AM radio tuned to a blank spot on the dial.

As you press each button a distinctive buzzing should be heard and each
function should sound a little different.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 06:14:08 +0100, Sjouke Burry

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:08:07 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:22:19 -0500, wrote:

I just tried this. The remote is emitting. It is the DVD specific
remote control. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chances are
that the receiver is the problem.
With DVD players, the remote and the player sometimes have a feature
where one remote can control two different identical players. The
setup on the player should says something like "remote 1" and "remote
2".

If you suspect the remote control:
1. Try using a digital camera to see if it's emitting. you've
already done that.
2. Find an identical remote control and try it. Good luck finding
one.
3. Find a computer, iPod, or PDA program that claims to emulate an IR
remote control.
4. Reset everything and start over. Reset the DVD player (somehow)
and remove the battery from the remote for some extended period.

After re-initializing the DVD player and removing both the remote and
the DVD players battery the problem still exists.

Some time later I took the remote battery (2025) out once again.
By accident I put it back in backwards, for just an instant. Upon
re-installing it correctly the remote now operates the DVD player.

Any explanation to explain the above?

You were lucky enough to wipe its statusmemory wittout killing the chip.
Congratulations.

Very interesting.

I'm late, but another idea is to buy a universal remote control. They
sell for 6 dollars at left-over stores and 10 or 20 elsewhere, and
you're bound to have another use for it too. See if it works the DVD
player.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

e for some extended period.

After re-initializing the DVD player and removing both the remote and
the DVD players battery the problem still exists.

Some time later I took the remote battery (2025) out once again.
By accident I put it back in backwards, for just an instant. Upon
re-installing it correctly the remote now operates the DVD player.

Any explanation to explain the above?

Follow up:

This morning I tried the remote again. It didn't work. I removed
the battery. I replaced it after a while. It still didn't work. I put
the battery in backwards. This time on purpose. Then I installed it
correctly. It works!

SO.....I just ordered a new remote. At least I now know that the
DVD player is fine and the remote is the problem. Thanks for all the

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 31, 10:11*am, wrote:
e for some extended period.

After re-initializing the DVD player and removing both the remote and
the DVD players battery the problem still exists.

Some time later I took the remote battery (2025) out once again.
By accident I put it back in backwards, for just an instant. Upon
re-installing it correctly the remote now operates the DVD player.

Any explanation to explain the above?

Follow up:

This morning I tried the remote again. It didn't work. I removed
the battery. I replaced it after a while. It still didn't work. I put
the battery in backwards. This time on purpose. Then I installed it
correctly. It works!

SO.....I just ordered a new remote. At least I now know that the
DVD player is fine and the remote is the problem. Thanks for all the

Thanx for the follow-up.

Sharp TV / VCR Remote Codes - GE Universal Remote jJim McLaughlin Electronics Repair 1 July 16th 07 02:13 AM
can't get MX-500 universal remote to work with Directv H20 remote [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 3rd 06 08:12 AM
RF Remote Henry Electronics 4 January 3rd 06 07:22 PM
tx-29gf10x remote how do you open this remote iversonis Electronics Repair 0 November 11th 05 08:35 AM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM