Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Im trying to take appart my laptop to get access to my fan

Hi Im trying to clean my fan, by opening the machine and geting to it
I cant seem to get access to it
there must be a sna on this machine i dont know about its a HP
pavillion dv5250ca widescreen.
i can take apart the moniter parts of it, i thuohgt it would get me
access to some kinda other snap off but i didnt see one. theres a few
plats on the botom i got off, but after takin out every single screw i
could find i still could not get at the fan. ive had this machine for
a few years and i dont want to get compresed air and blow all the gunk
further into the machine. is there somehow i can get specs totake this
thing apart further? or does anyone else have a better idea? ive been
having heat problems and i want to clean it asap and anything else
that ght need it while im in there.

please someone help!!
hehe
Regards,
Bryan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Breeyon wrote:
Hi Im trying to clean my fan, by opening the machine and geting to it
I cant seem to get access to it
there must be a sna on this machine i dont know about its a HP
pavillion dv5250ca widescreen.
i can take apart the moniter parts of it, i thuohgt it would get me
access to some kinda other snap off but i didnt see one. theres a few
plats on the botom i got off, but after takin out every single screw i
could find i still could not get at the fan. ive had this machine for
a few years and i dont want to get compresed air and blow all the gunk
further into the machine. is there somehow i can get specs totake this
thing apart further? or does anyone else have a better idea? ive been
having heat problems and i want to clean it asap and anything else
that ght need it while im in there.

please someone help!!

I'm not familiar with HP laptops in particular, but I can give you some
advice that's good for most laptops:
Try looking for screws hidden under stickers. You can usually find them
by running a fingernail back & forth over any stickers. Another standard
trick is internal plastic 'hook' catches, which are undone by
*carefully* bending the panels at their edges, or around the keyboard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Breeyon" wrote in message
[...]

Many laptops have additional screws under the keyboard. You will probably
find screws at the back of the keyboard, maybe under a clipped-in trim,
which allow the keyboard to be lifted up and then hooked out from the front
edge, and unplugged. Once the keyboard is out, you might well find several
additional screws going downwards into the bottom pan. There might also be
screws in any of the 'compartments' on the underside - that's HDD bay,
battery bay, memory bay, etc. When you do get it coming apart, be especially
careful of the two *very* thin coax cables that go up to the two antennas
located in the screen. They usually unplug, but the gold connectors are so
tiny that you won't immediately recognise them as being plugs. Golden rule
with dismantling laptops, is to work slowly and carefully. It is so easy to
get just a little bit enthusiastic with separating a couple of parts that
seem to be slightly resisting coming apart, only to find that you've torn a
cable ... A small pwerful light such a a Maglight is useful for looking
inside to see what is holding it.

Also, the lengths and types of some screws are critical. You will have quite
a lot by the time you get it apart, and I would *strongly* recommend that
you find something to keep them in, that you can label. An old egg carton is
good for this. Trust me, it takes only one overnight sleep for the carefully
remembered plan of where they all came from, to go right out of your head
.... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:43:10 -0700 (PDT), Breeyon
wrote:

[...]

Maintenace and service guide here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...uct= 3201093&
Good luck
Wayne
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Breeyon wrote:

[...]

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get at the fan ! Your
first idea was the better one and if you look carefully you will see
that forcing air back through the heatsink and out through the fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it outside where the
dust can disperse downwind.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get at the fan ! Your
first idea was the better one and if you look carefully you will see
that forcing air back through the heatsink and out through the fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it outside where the
dust can disperse downwind.

What about causing fan/fans to spin up too fast from the blast of air?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

1D10T wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get at the fan !
Your first idea was the better one and if you look carefully you will
see that forcing air back through the heatsink and out through the
fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it outside where the
dust can disperse downwind.

What about causing fan/fans to spin up too fast from the blast of air?

Have you ever broken one ? I haven't !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
1D10T wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get at the fan !
Your first idea was the better one and if you look carefully you will
see that forcing air back through the heatsink and out through the
fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it outside where the
dust can disperse downwind.

What about causing fan/fans to spin up too fast from the blast of air?

Have you ever broken one ? I haven't !

I haven't, but I know of two people who have. It didn't hurt the blades,
but the bearings became real noisy. I always put a finger or something like
a loop of wire against the blades just to be sure. Why not, it's easy to do?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 27, 7:43*pm, Breeyon wrote:
[...]

I had to do this some months back to replace a fan that had gone all
noisy. The only way I got through it was to download a service manual
for my particular laptop from some page online (mine is a dv9000). I
can tell you that there were so many layered, interconnecting things
in the laptop, that trying to disassemble and reassemble without the
instructions would have been horrifying. As it was, following the
instructions, I had to almost completely disassemble the laptop to get
the fan and heatsink out and replace it. Not for the faint of heart -
and pay careful attention as you go, perhaps even taking digital snaps
as you go - otherwise you'll end up with 'extra' screws, etc. when
you're all done.

Good luck

-Mr. INTJ
San Diego, CA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

1D10T wrote:
"Baron" wrote in message

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get at the fan ! Your
first idea was the better one and if you look carefully you will see
that forcing air back through the heatsink and out through the fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it outside where the
dust can disperse downwind.

What about causing fan/fans to spin up too fast from the blast of air?

I've never had it cause a problem, & I used to regularly blow dust off
fans with an air-compressor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

1D10T Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
1D10T wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get at the fan !
Your first idea was the better one and if you look carefully you
will see that forcing air back through the heatsink and out through
the fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it outside where
the dust can disperse downwind.

What about causing fan/fans to spin up too fast from the blast of
air?

Have you ever broken one ? I haven't !

I haven't, but I know of two people who have. It didn't hurt the
blades, but the bearings became real noisy. I always put a finger or
something like a loop of wire against the blades just to be sure. Why
not, it's easy to do?

Quite probably because the dust clinging to the blades and hub got blown
away. This probably would allow the fan to rotate a little more
quickly. There is no real reason other than normal wear for a fan to
be noisy.

Jamming the fan blades in the way you describe is likely to do real
damage to the blades causing a major problem ! Definitely not to be
recommended.

But in response to the original poster, I've seen more damage done by
people taking their laptop apart than ever I have seen done by
carefully air blasting dust bunnies out ! The trick is blowing the
dust out in the opposite direction to the way it got in !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I'm trying to take apart my laptop to get access to my fan

"Baron" wrote in message
Quite probably because the dust clinging to the blades and hub got blown
away. This probably would allow the fan to rotate a little more
quickly. There is no real reason other than normal wear for a fan to
be noisy.

It wasn't noisy until after the blades were spun overly fast by a blast of
air far stronger than the fan itself could ever create. This is especially
bad to do if the fan motor uses sleeve-type bearings rather than ball-type.

Jamming the fan blades in the way you describe is likely to do real
damage to the blades causing a major problem ! Definitely not to be
recommended.

I don't 'jam' anything. I simply prevent the blades from spinning.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Baron wrote:
1D10T Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
1D10T wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message

[...]

Very true. It takes a fair amount of practice to really become good at
reassembling laptops. (Any fool can pull one apart. ;^)

The trick is blowing the
dust out in the opposite direction to the way it got in !

Yup. Air-gunning the main outlet vent works on many models.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Baron wrote:
1D10T Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in
message
1D10T wrote:

"Baron" wrote in
message

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get
at the fan !
Your first idea was the better one and if you look
carefully you
will see that forcing air back through the heatsink
and out through
the fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it
outside where
the dust can disperse downwind.
What about causing fan/fans to spin up too fast from
the blast of
air?

(snip)
The trick is blowing the
dust out in the opposite direction to the way it got in !

Yup. Air-gunning the main outlet vent works on many
models.

I am one that have seen several laptops literally burn up
because of all the dirt that collects on the radiator fins
connected to the heat pipe for cooling the CPU. This is
mostly seen where the fan intake is on the bottom of the
case. The CPU usually protects itself but everything else in
the case gets very hot. The best solution is the air
compressor air gun into the main outlet. Most of the dirt
just blows out of the intake vent on the bottom. What is
left inside really does not cause any problem and I have
never seen a fan damaged by using this procedure.

David

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David wrote:

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Baron wrote:
1D10T Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in
message
1D10T wrote:

"Baron" wrote in
message

[...]

Yes I agree and have a couple of scrap laptops to show for it !

The CPU usually protects itself but everything else in
the case gets very hot.

In the above the some of the solder holding several chips melted and one
fell off into the case.

The best solution is the air
compressor air gun into the main outlet. Most of the dirt
just blows out of the intake vent on the bottom. What is
left inside really does not cause any problem and I have
never seen a fan damaged by using this procedure.

David

I sorted one this afternoon. There was so much fluff in there it had
actually stopped the fan from spinning.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mr. INTJ wrote:
[...]

All true. Fixing laptops is nothing like fixing PCs. The only thing I
can think of that is more of a pain to work on is cameras.