Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David David is offline

Default Im trying to take appart my laptop to get access to my fan

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Baron wrote:
1D10T Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in
message
1D10T wrote:

"Baron" wrote in
message

Trust me, you don't want to dismantle it just to get
at the fan !
Your first idea was the better one and if you look
carefully you
will see that forcing air back through the heatsink
and out through
the fan will
clear most if not all the dust bunnies. But do it
outside where
the dust can disperse downwind.
What about causing fan/fans to spin up too fast from
the blast of
air?

(snip)
The trick is blowing the
dust out in the opposite direction to the way it got in !

Yup. Air-gunning the main outlet vent works on many
models.

I am one that have seen several laptops literally burn up
because of all the dirt that collects on the radiator fins
connected to the heat pipe for cooling the CPU. This is
mostly seen where the fan intake is on the bottom of the
case. The CPU usually protects itself but everything else in
the case gets very hot. The best solution is the air
compressor air gun into the main outlet. Most of the dirt
just blows out of the intake vent on the bottom. What is
left inside really does not cause any problem and I have
never seen a fan damaged by using this procedure.

David