Old February 5th 08, 06:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do any DVD recorders of VCRs come with RF Modulator for Ch 3

In article ,
UCLAN wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:

C) No retailers with *any* boxes within 50 miles of me.

What are the chances that the government site it really up to date. ;-)

Maybe try the big box companies web sites, or call them on the phone?
Rant I'm not sure that would work any better. I went to a Best
Buy last week for another reason. That place doesn't have customers,
it has victims. /Rant

Just for grins, I visited and/or phoned about a dozen local A/V retailers
in my area. The result: Few have even heard of the boxes. Those that *had*
heard of them had no idea of if/when they would get any.

Yea, not only do the OTA stations now need the cable companies, the
cable companies are (at least around here) heavy advertisers. It's a
wonder that the TV staions even mention HD in their promos.

I wonder if the 80+% penetration by cable/DBS in this area has anything
to do with this? [nodding head...]

I wonder...could one hook one of these boxes up to his VCR to record an
analog version of a HDTV signal?

ooohhh. Good Question. I have a horrible feeling that they might
enable copy protection in the video if the right/(wrong?) bits in
the datastream say so. I wonder what the government certification
requirements said...

My VCRs are analog. They have no circuitry to recognize the copyright
"flag." They just react to Macrovision's AGC circuit fooling signal,
which isn't present in digital TV signals. I will probably get a
coupon/box (if/when they are available here) and try it out.

That's what I mean. They built Macrovision into DVD players. Did
they put it in these boxes too? Maybe just downconverting to SD
resolution was enough to feed the copyright sharks.

Mark Zenier

Old February 6th 08, 08:10 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Zenier wrote:

ooohhh. Good Question. I have a horrible feeling that they might
enable copy protection in the video if the right/(wrong?) bits in
the datastream say so. I wonder what the government certification
requirements said...

My VCRs are analog. They have no circuitry to recognize the copyright
"flag." They just react to Macrovision's AGC circuit fooling signal,
which isn't present in digital TV signals. I will probably get a
coupon/box (if/when they are available here) and try it out.

That's what I mean. They built Macrovision into DVD players. Did
they put it in these boxes too? Maybe just downconverting to SD
resolution was enough to feed the copyright sharks.

I really don't know what you mean. The "AGC fooling" Macrovision was
embedded in the video signal. It was not built into the VCR. The "do
not copy" flag is also embedded in the video of the DVD. It enables
an anti-copy signal created by the DVD player and sent to a digital
recording device. The "flag" must exist in the video signal. As far
as I know, the video from digital TV signals contains no such "flag",
so putting recognition capability into the conversion boxes would serve
no purpose.

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Old February 8th 08, 06:17 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do any DVD recorders of VCRs come with RF Modulator for Ch 3 use?

Mark Zenier wrote:

Got to http://www.dtv2009.gov or call 1-888-DTV-2009 and give them
the details (fill in the form or do the voice mail stuff) and they'll
(if you qualify) send you up to two coupons for $40 each to buy a dtv
convertor box, which are supposed to be on sale real soon now for $50
to $70.

Nothing available within 50 miles of me.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old February 9th 08, 05:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Andy wrote:

When VCRs quit, it's usually (in my experience) the transport
mechanism. The other stuff is still workable, and using it as
just an RF modulator should be very practical, unless you are
playing back a store bought, copy protected DVD.......

at that point one would have to remove the modulator anbd power it
with a wall wart type power supply (old mobile phone chargers for
example). usually in the region of 5-12v dc, you may also need a pot
to attenuate the composite video signal so it doesn't saturate. i've
saved a few old tvs without AV inputs by adding these little boxes so
people can use them with dvds , video games , etc...

-B
Old February 9th 08, 07:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

b wrote:
Andy wrote:

When VCRs quit, it's usually (in my experience) the transport
mechanism. The other stuff is still workable, and using it as
just an RF modulator should be very practical, unless you are
playing back a store bought, copy protected DVD.......

at that point one would have to remove the modulator anbd power it
with a wall wart type power supply (old mobile phone chargers for
example). usually in the region of 5-12v dc, you may also need a pot
to attenuate the composite video signal so it doesn't saturate. i've
saved a few old tvs without AV inputs by adding these little boxes so
people can use them with dvds , video games , etc...

-B

Actually, I mostly use mine for a tuner, although the transport works
fine and gets used from time to time.

jak

DVD recorders Seafarer Electronics Repair 7 April 22nd 05 09:35 PM
Way OT -> DVD recorders Richard UK diy 70 March 29th 05 01:01 AM
VCR/DVD Recorders TP Electronics Repair 3 March 2nd 05 12:11 PM
DVD HDD recorders Mike UK diy 1 February 24th 05 11:00 PM
DVD HDD recorders Mike UK diy 11 February 8th 05 05:50 PM