Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default Do any DVD recorders of VCRs come with RF Modulator for Ch 3 use?

jakdedert wrote:

Doesn't usually work that well. The copy protection on the DVD kicks in
and varies the brightness on the output in cyclic fashion...not pretty.

jak

Andy comments:
I've run that setup and sometimes I see the copy protection and
sometimes I don't,.... I suspect that some DVDs are copy protected and
some aren't. If a person is using a his own DVD to make his own copy
off-air,
it won't have copy protection. Then, the playback is run to the VCR
inputs and the Channel 3 output goes to the NTSC television...
and it should work OK..

When VCRs quit, it's usually (in my experience) the transport
mechanism. The other stuff is still workable, and using it as
just an RF modulator should be very practical, unless you are
playing back a store bought, copy protected DVD.......
The broken VCR certainly has very little other practical use.
Andy in Eureka, Texas