Old January 30th 08, 07:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do any DVD recorders of VCRs come with RF Modulator for Ch 3 use?

I have a perfectly good 27" analog tube TV...... but
only has one input....a coaxial input to the tuner.

In order to use this TV for SD digital reception I am
looking for a VCR or DVD recorder that has atsc tuner
but also has built in RF modulator.

Does anyone know if such units exist that are atsc and
can be used on ch 3?

Old January 30th 08, 07:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

DVD players rarely have modulators because the DVD system was introduced at
a time when most new TV receivers had direct-video inputs.

I'd check RadioShack -- they might have an outboard modulator.

Old January 30th 08, 09:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
I have a perfectly good 27" analog tube TV...... but
only has one input....a coaxial input to the tuner.

In order to use this TV for SD digital reception I am
looking for a VCR or DVD recorder that has atsc tuner
but also has built in RF modulator.

Does anyone know if such units exist that are atsc and
can be used on ch 3?

I have a Dishnetwork 625. It has a modulator and composite video.
It is a dual tuner.

db

Old January 30th 08, 10:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

D-unit wrote:
wrote in message ...
I have a perfectly good 27" analog tube TV...... but
only has one input....a coaxial input to the tuner.

In order to use this TV for SD digital reception I am
looking for a VCR or DVD recorder that has atsc tuner
but also has built in RF modulator.

Does anyone know if such units exist that are atsc and
can be used on ch 3?

I have a Dishnetwork 625. It has a modulator and composite video.
It is a dual tuner.

db

I've seen DVD recorders which were functionally identical to common
VCRs, including RF modulator. The one I have is obsolete--not just
discontinued, but the company no longer exists--but it has a full set of
ins/outs, including RF.

jak

Old January 30th 08, 11:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"D-unit" cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:

wrote in message ...
I have a perfectly good 27" analog tube TV...... but
only has one input....a coaxial input to the tuner.

In order to use this TV for SD digital reception I am
looking for a VCR or DVD recorder that has atsc tuner
but also has built in RF modulator.

Does anyone know if such units exist that are atsc and
can be used on ch 3?

I have a Dishnetwork 625. It has a modulator and composite video.
It is a dual tuner.

db

Oops.... I forgot to mention I will betting digital off
air TV only.... no cable.... no satellite

Old January 31st 08, 05:27 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

As far as I know, ALL VCRs have modulators built in, at least all the
older ones. You can run a DVD player thru a VCR and to the tv, if you
dont want to buy a separate modulator.

OK thanks!
Old February 2nd 08, 12:42 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a perfectly good 27" analog tube TV...... but
only has one input....a coaxial input to the tuner.

In order to use this TV for SD digital reception I am
looking for a VCR or DVD recorder that has atsc tuner
but also has built in RF modulator.

Does anyone know if such units exist that are atsc and
can be used on ch 3?

Your government is taking care of you. ;-) (I assume you're in the
USA).

Got to http://www.dtv2009.gov or call 1-888-DTV-2009 and give them
the details (fill in the form or do the voice mail stuff) and they'll
(if you qualify) send you up to two coupons for $40 each to buy a dtv
convertor box, which are supposed to be on sale real soon now for $50
to $70.

The models that qualify for the subsidy are stripped down and
only produce NTSC composite and/or RF outputs. There's a page
on the web site with a list.

The Zenith DTT900 (that I download the spec. sheet for) has
an RF output.

Some units are already out there. I just saw a posting that a
qualified Magnavox unit was at somebody's Walmart.
(There have been ATSC tuners out there for several years, but it
hasn't been worth $350 for me to bother 'till now.)

Mark Zenier

DVD recorders Seafarer Electronics Repair 7 April 22nd 05 09:35 PM
Way OT -> DVD recorders Richard UK diy 70 March 29th 05 01:01 AM
VCR/DVD Recorders TP Electronics Repair 3 March 2nd 05 12:11 PM
DVD HDD recorders Mike UK diy 1 February 24th 05 11:00 PM
DVD HDD recorders Mike UK diy 11 February 8th 05 05:50 PM