Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Problem with new Insignia TV

Yesterday, I purchased an Insignia NS-F24TV 24" CRT television from
BestBuy. http://tinyurl.com/2hjzjq While the set is a cheap one, the
user ratings are quite high. After lugging it home and hooking it up, I
discovered a problem. All over-the-air and cable (analog) channels are
in mono.

There is apparently no switch or setting to cause the TV to work in
mono. When I finally go through to India (after 30 minutes on hold
followed by a disconnect and 45 minutes on hold followed by a
disconnect), the genius offered the following suggestions:

1) Call the cable company to see why this TV is in mono while all of the
other TVs in the house are in stereo.

2) Get a cable box with RCA outputs so that I can receive stereo.

Of course I declined in both cases.

There is no cable box. The set is hooked directly to the analog cable.
The TV that this one replaced received all channels in stereo.
Therefore, the problem is not in the delivery of the cable or OTA signals.

I went through the automatic channel programming routine, and that did
not make a difference. The selector is set for cable, rather than air. I
did not set it to air, since the results would be useless.

Don't all current TVs have to receive stereo audio? The set has dual
audio amplifiers and has two front speakers. There are dual RCA audio
inputs on the side and rear of the TV. The only technical limitation on
receiving stereo audio appears to be the internal stereo decoder.

Thinking that the set was defective, I called BestBuy and asked them to
check the display model to see if it was receiving audio in mono. It
was. However, they have their own internal video distribution signal, so
I don't know if their signal has the same MTSC-encoded signal that is
delivered by analog cable and OTA.

Before I return it for a refund, am I overlooking anything? The reviews
on the BestBuy web site do not mention the problem. A web search did not
reveal this problem with this brand. Needless to say, I am dumbfounded
to find a TV with stereo amplifiers and stereo speakers that does not
deliver stereo in a conventional analog signal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/24/07 6:49 AM, in article
, "mcp6453"
wrote:

[...]

It is reasonably clear from the set's "technical specifications" that it is
stereo capable.

Have you gone through the setup menu to see that stereo is enabled? Have
you verified that you are listening to the main audio channel and NOT to,
for example, the secondary audio channel, which is commonly mono?

Have you read the setup guide, or are you a think different (Apple) guy?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Don Bowey wrote:
On 11/24/07 6:49 AM, in article
, "mcp6453"
wrote:

[...]

It seemed reasonably clear to me, too, that it is a stereo TV. As I
posted, yes, I have been through the setup menu. If there are any
settings or adjustments for audio, I could not find them. The factory
tech support in India was not aware of any. That does not mean that they
do not exist. Neither mono nor SAP is mentioned in the scant manual.

No, I'm not an Apple guy, and yes, I did read the manual completely
before calling India or BestBuy or before posting here. In fact, I even
downloaded the manual from the insignia-products.com web site in case
the manual had been updated since the printing of the version that was
included with the set.

It is certainly possible that I am missing a setup parameter that will
solve the problem. I would very much prefer to solve the problem than to
lug the TV back to BestBuy and have to find another one. The picture is
amazingly good as is the (mono) audio. If this audio problem can be
solved, this TV is a good value. If the audio problem is a design flaw,
this TV is worth purchasing only if the user does not want to watch
analog cable or OTA signals in stereo.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Take it back and exchange it .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

I don't see stereo mentioned on the best buy or Insigna websites. It
does have l&R inputs, but that doesn't mean it is a 'stereo' TV. Did
you call Best Buy where you bought it? ? Does it say "Stereo TV" on the
box?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8206041&productCategoryId=abcat0 101006&type=product&tab=1&id=1165610947330#product detail

http://www.insignia-products.com/pc-212-1-insignia-24-flat-tube-standard-definition-digital-tv.aspx

Here is the owner's manual:

http://www.insignia-products.com/ski...-F24TV_web.pdf
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

Stereo is not mentioned anywhere that I can find. Why would anyone in
2007 bother to look to see whether a 24" TV is stereo? Am I misinformed?
Remember, the TV has stereo amplifiers, stereo speakers, and stereo
audio input connectors. It appears that the only thing missing is an MTS
stereo decoder chip. Can that be true?

As I posted, I have read the printed manual and the downloaded manual.
Neither mentions the problem that I am experiencing.

Regarding the suggestion to exchange the TV, if mine is defective,
exchanging it is a good option. If there is a design flaw in the TV,
exchanging only wastes my time to have to return the exchanged TV for a
refund.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 24, 6:49 am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

So your 'cheap' TV left out a stereo decoder for analog TV which will
be turned off in 15 months. OK, analog cable will be around a while
after but not for long. I guess that helped them keep the price down
and many folks wouldn't care either way - but you do. Such is life.

GG
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
Don Bowey wrote:

On 11/24/07 6:49 AM, in article
, "mcp6453"

wrote:

[...]

Or, the TV's have design defects and a whole slew of them BestBuy got
their hands on for cheap!

Your problem is "BestBuy"///

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:00:12 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:

Regarding the suggestion to exchange the TV, if mine is defective,
exchanging it is a good option. If there is a design flaw in the TV,
exchanging only wastes my time to have to return the exchanged TV for a
refund.

Based on the manual, it looks like it can only receive stereo from
ATSC. I guess they want to cut costs on the analog reception. If it
could receive stereo, there would be a menu option for
stereo/mono/SAP. The only audio option in the menu applies to digital
TV signals.

Do yourself a favor and buy something a little better quality. These
no-name sets will cost more in the long run unless you get very lucky.
If price is that important, buy a used name brand TV.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Or, the TV's have design defects and a whole slew of them BestBuy got
their hands on for cheap!

Your problem is "BestBuy"///

There you go making unfounded allegations against large corporations,
with teams of lawyers. i hope that they take everything you own, idiot.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Or, the TV's have design defects and a whole slew of them BestBuy got
their hands on for cheap!

Your problem is "BestBuy"///

There you go making unfounded allegations against large corporations,
with teams of lawyers. i hope that they take everything you own, idiot.

I speak from experience with Best Buy, How about you Jerk?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy Cuffe wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:00:12 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:

Regarding the suggestion to exchange the TV, if mine is defective,
exchanging it is a good option. If there is a design flaw in the TV,
exchanging only wastes my time to have to return the exchanged TV for a
refund.

Based on the manual, it looks like it can only receive stereo from
ATSC. I guess they want to cut costs on the analog reception. If it
could receive stereo, there would be a menu option for
stereo/mono/SAP. The only audio option in the menu applies to digital
TV signals.

Do yourself a favor and buy something a little better quality. These
no-name sets will cost more in the long run unless you get very lucky.
If price is that important, buy a used name brand TV.
Andy Cuffe

Andy, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Thanks for taking the
time to look at the manual. It still amazes me that a company could
produce such a piece of junk and yet no one blasts them on the company
web site. Until now.

I'll return it for a refund before January 31 and buy something else.
Maybe there will be some year end sales.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Or, the TV's have design defects and a whole slew of them BestBuy got
their hands on for cheap!

Your problem is "BestBuy"///

There you go making unfounded allegations against large corporations,
with teams of lawyers. i hope that they take everything you own, idiot.

I speak from experience with Best Buy, How about you Jerk?

No, you can continue to jerk it all you want. They can sue over your
claim that they knowingly buy defective equipment, and resell it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It sounds like the TV has a stereo decoder fault if the specifications say
that it can receive stereo from an RF source. In the store, their sets
should be fed with regular cable via an RF distribution amplifier system.
The RF distribution amplifier system should not modify the stereo carrier.

You should verify if the model is truly a stereo TV with the RF inputs. I
have seen some low cost models not be able to decode stereo from the RF
input. This is where they recommend to use a VCR or an external TV tuner
unit for receiving cable stations in stereo.

Have you thought about putting out a few extra dollars and buying a good TV
set???

--

JANA
_____

"mcp6453" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
JANA wrote:
Have you thought about putting out a few extra dollars and buying a good
TV set???

Do any of the 'good' makers produce CRT sets these days?
They all seem to be busy trying to sell you LCD sets with a much poorer
performance than the CRT ones they replace...

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JANA wrote:
It sounds like the TV has a stereo decoder fault if the specifications say
that it can receive stereo from an RF source. In the store, their sets
should be fed with regular cable via an RF distribution amplifier system.
The RF distribution amplifier system should not modify the stereo carrier.

You should verify if the model is truly a stereo TV with the RF inputs. I
have seen some low cost models not be able to decode stereo from the RF
input. This is where they recommend to use a VCR or an external TV tuner
unit for receiving cable stations in stereo.

Have you thought about putting out a few extra dollars and buying a good TV
set???

The answer is...the analog section does not have an MTS decoder. The
digital channels (which I did not know that I could receive on cable
without a box, but I can) are in stereo. Therefore, this TV is a piece
of crap in regard to its audio performance. Back it goes.

If this set were my main set, I would buy a better one. Since it is in a
small bedroom, the amount I paid is the limit that I wish to spend.

Which "good" CRT do you recommend? Samsung appears to be a good one, but
I don't buy anything with their name on it, so I am limited.

There is a 27" Philips on sale in today's paper. Any thoughts on that one?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Or, the TV's have design defects and a whole slew of them BestBuy got
their hands on for cheap!

Your problem is "BestBuy"///

There you go making unfounded allegations against large corporations,
with teams of lawyers. i hope that they take everything you own, idiot.

I speak from experience with Best Buy, How about you Jerk?

No, you can continue to jerk it all you want. They can sue over your
claim that they knowingly buy defective equipment, and resell it.

That's ridiculous. If people were sued for making offhand disparaging
remarks on usenet, we'd all be in court every day.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

Andy Cuffe wrote:

[...]

If you want some good advise when dealing with Best Buy, you better
return it with in the local ordinance laws that forces them to take back
items and even then, they'll make it hard for you if you can not prove
to them that the item is defective. In their eyes, the item is not
defective.
Best Buy has a rock hard policy on returns goods even if you become
a victim of switch scams that happen either in house or a return of an
item with defective or incorrect contents in the box, which is how I
become so acquainted with them.

I'm not going to go into great details but I can tell you that I had
to get a lawyer on them. I wasn't going to take that sitting down..

In my case, it was a wireless keyboard and mouse combo. at that time
$99.00/ some one had switched the contents with a standard keyboard
and mouse that had the cords ripped out. It was the last one on the self
and was shrink wrapped. Then found out, they don't come shrink wrapped
and they have a sealer in house, to repackage items. In Lou of
all that, they try to accuse me of switching the items, shrink wrapping
it and then peal it open to make it look good. At that point, I
took down names and indicated as to what was going to happen next. The
manager just took it as an idle threat and asked me to leave the store.

I call them before I took a ride back to the store (30 miles), the
shift manager absolutely didn't want to talk to me or give me any
numbers to main headquarters. I had to go online to get them. As it
turns out later, they fired the shift manager but nothing was said as to
why.

There was a lot more things that transpired before it all came to an
end but when it was over, All I lost over it was some sleep. My lawyer
and I, for one days pay, was compensated.

Just some thoughts. Your store may have a better working manager but
they are instructed from head quarters to follow a set of guide lines
which they are willing to force you into legal battles.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Or, the TV's have design defects and a whole slew of them BestBuy got
their hands on for cheap!

Your problem is "BestBuy"///

There you go making unfounded allegations against large corporations,
with teams of lawyers. i hope that they take everything you own, idiot.

I speak from experience with Best Buy, How about you Jerk?

No, you can continue to jerk it all you want. They can sue over your
claim that they knowingly buy defective equipment, and resell it.

Let me suggest something to you. Drop it before you make your self
look even more of an idiot.

I have already dealt with them. There is no fantasy about
Best buy..

All business will obtain products from the cheapest place possible
around the globe how ever, this is not the issue at hand. It's when
you're not happy with the product they are selling for what ever reason
is when you'll find out what it's all about.

I suggest you may want to consider that before you drool over
something you obviously have had no experience in.

Signed:
A very experienced customer with their rock hard policy and
victim of switch scams.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

What the hell do you know about me, other than your constant stream
of insults on multiple elcectronics related newsgroups? I haven't
'drooled' over
any technology, since I was eight years old, and just HAD to have that
transistor radio kit.

Signed:
A very experienced customer with their rock hard policy and
victim of switch scams.

Then you are too stupid to control your own finaces. If you are
stupid enough to fall for bait and switch, you are too stupid to be let
out of the house, let alone have any money.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Or, the TV's have design defects and a whole slew of them BestBuy got
their hands on for cheap!

Your problem is "BestBuy"///

There you go making unfounded allegations against large corporations,
with teams of lawyers. i hope that they take everything you own, idiot.

I speak from experience with Best Buy, How about you Jerk?

No, you can continue to jerk it all you want. They can sue over your
claim that they knowingly buy defective equipment, and resell it.

That's ridiculous. If people were sued for making offhand disparaging
remarks on usenet, we'd all be in court every day.

Ha, I couldn't agree more. and my claim wasn't that they were selling
defective equipment knowingly. In fact, I really never made any
such claim.
The problem being is when it comes time for them to take back their
merchandise.
I should had worded it as "Your problem might be Best Buy"
Hey, he may have an understanding manager in his area that don't follow
the rules of Best buy to the letter. who knows.

All I know is, in my area they do and head quarters backs them up
even if it means the customer gets screwed.

I have a friend that bought a laptop from them on sale. when he got
home, he connected it, booted it, started to play around a bit and seem
to be happy with it but then about 30 mins into it, it starts to perform
a hard reboot. let it cool and it operates again for another 30 mins.
He takes it back to them that night, so here he goes ..

They wanted to send it out for repairs using the extended warranty
he got.
That didn't fly with him, He said he wanted a replacement, they didn't
have any left. Also, they told him that because he had already
activated Windows XP, he was responsible for it then. Then he said wait!
I never activated XP, never got that far, in fact it never even asked to
do so. The salesman showed him the registered name, it wasn't his!, then
the Laptop does a reboot about 10 secs after that information was shown
infront of him.
So they both deducted at that point, the laptop was a defective
return item which didn't really surprise him how ever, after a couple of
calls the salesman made, it seems that they were willing to send it out
for repairs but not allow him to return it for a complete refund, on top
of that, they mentioned something about a restocking fee even if they
were to refund him.
He said, wait, I have to call some one. He did. he called his credit
card company and canceled the sale. And told the sales person to have a
good day and walked out empty handed. The number he called only needed
to talk to a sales person to verify that they had the item in hand.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll remember that.

I'm sure you're so perfect to never have allowed any one to screw
you.
Perfect people make for perfect assholes.

Something quoted to me from an older gentleman that really knew his
stuff.
He's gone now, but I can say that he had great influence on his
students and produced some very good engineers and technicians that
knew how to communicate with others in society.

It seems you were not so fortunate.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:27:18 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:

Which "good" CRT do you recommend? Samsung appears to be a good one, but
I don't buy anything with their name on it, so I am limited.

There is a 27" Philips on sale in today's paper. Any thoughts on that one?

Sanyo is usually a pretty good affordable brand. I think Wal-mart has
a few Sanyo CRTs. Unfortunately, most of the good brands have stopped
making CRTs. Don't get a Toshiba since they are made by Orion (who
probably made your Insignia). A lot of the other good brands are
probably also farming out CRT TVs to no-name manufacturers. I've
never been a big fan of Samsung, or Philips, but there might not be
much choice left.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

[...]

You're the one who claimed to have never made a mistake.

Something quoted to me from an older gentleman that really knew his
stuff.
He's gone now, but I can say that he had great influence on his
students and produced some very good engineers and technicians that
knew how to communicate with others in society.

You sure didn't learn very much. You constantlay post nonsense.

It seems you were not so fortunate.

If you are an example of his students, I'd say that iwas DAMN
fortunate not to have met him.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell