Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Problem with new Insignia TV

JANA wrote:
It sounds like the TV has a stereo decoder fault if the specifications say
that it can receive stereo from an RF source. In the store, their sets
should be fed with regular cable via an RF distribution amplifier system.
The RF distribution amplifier system should not modify the stereo carrier.

You should verify if the model is truly a stereo TV with the RF inputs. I
have seen some low cost models not be able to decode stereo from the RF
input. This is where they recommend to use a VCR or an external TV tuner
unit for receiving cable stations in stereo.

Have you thought about putting out a few extra dollars and buying a good TV
set???

The answer is...the analog section does not have an MTS decoder. The
digital channels (which I did not know that I could receive on cable
without a box, but I can) are in stereo. Therefore, this TV is a piece
of crap in regard to its audio performance. Back it goes.

If this set were my main set, I would buy a better one. Since it is in a
small bedroom, the amount I paid is the limit that I wish to spend.

Which "good" CRT do you recommend? Samsung appears to be a good one, but
I don't buy anything with their name on it, so I am limited.

There is a 27" Philips on sale in today's paper. Any thoughts on that one?