Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Problem with new Insignia TV

mcp6453 wrote:

Andy Cuffe wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:00:12 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:

Regarding the suggestion to exchange the TV, if mine is defective,
exchanging it is a good option. If there is a design flaw in the TV,
exchanging only wastes my time to have to return the exchanged TV for
a refund.

Based on the manual, it looks like it can only receive stereo from
ATSC. I guess they want to cut costs on the analog reception. If it
could receive stereo, there would be a menu option for
stereo/mono/SAP. The only audio option in the menu applies to digital
TV signals.
Do yourself a favor and buy something a little better quality. These
no-name sets will cost more in the long run unless you get very lucky.
If price is that important, buy a used name brand TV. Andy Cuffe

Andy, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Thanks for taking the
time to look at the manual. It still amazes me that a company could
produce such a piece of junk and yet no one blasts them on the company
web site. Until now.

I'll return it for a refund before January 31 and buy something else.
Maybe there will be some year end sales.

If you want some good advise when dealing with Best Buy, you better
return it with in the local ordinance laws that forces them to take back
items and even then, they'll make it hard for you if you can not prove
to them that the item is defective. In their eyes, the item is not
defective.
Best Buy has a rock hard policy on returns goods even if you become
a victim of switch scams that happen either in house or a return of an
item with defective or incorrect contents in the box, which is how I
become so acquainted with them.

I'm not going to go into great details but I can tell you that I had
to get a lawyer on them. I wasn't going to take that sitting down..

In my case, it was a wireless keyboard and mouse combo. at that time
$99.00/ some one had switched the contents with a standard keyboard
and mouse that had the cords ripped out. It was the last one on the self
and was shrink wrapped. Then found out, they don't come shrink wrapped
and they have a sealer in house, to repackage items. In Lou of
all that, they try to accuse me of switching the items, shrink wrapping
it and then peal it open to make it look good. At that point, I
took down names and indicated as to what was going to happen next. The
manager just took it as an idle threat and asked me to leave the store.

I call them before I took a ride back to the store (30 miles), the
shift manager absolutely didn't want to talk to me or give me any
numbers to main headquarters. I had to go online to get them. As it
turns out later, they fired the shift manager but nothing was said as to
why.

There was a lot more things that transpired before it all came to an
end but when it was over, All I lost over it was some sleep. My lawyer
and I, for one days pay, was compensated.

Just some thoughts. Your store may have a better working manager but
they are instructed from head quarters to follow a set of guide lines
which they are willing to force you into legal battles.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5