Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default American machine screw types

For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would they be
UNC 6 ?
and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would they be
UNC 6 ?
and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

You need to try to find a copy of this handy little book:

http://www.sequoiapublishing.com/pdt_pocketref3ed.htm

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message

For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would they
be
UNC 6 ? and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

OK. The most common size is 6-32. 8-32 and 10-32 are also common. This is
AWG size 6, 8 and 10 all with 32 tpi threads.

Also 10-24 and 12-24 with 24 tpi are used.

See http://www.zytrax.com/tech/mech/threads.htm for more.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message

For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and

BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would they
be
UNC 6 ? and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

OK. The most common size is 6-32. 8-32 and 10-32 are also common. This is
AWG size 6, 8 and 10 all with 32 tpi threads.

Also 10-24 and 12-24 with 24 tpi are used.

See http://www.zytrax.com/tech/mech/threads.htm for more.

But are they what we call UNC ?
and the 40TPI ones ? only measured with a ruler as my thread gauge, in
inches, does not have 40TPI and the mm gauges are not close to any
equivalent.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message

But are they what we call UNC ?
and the 40TPI ones ? only measured with a ruler as my thread gauge, in
inches, does not have 40TPI and the mm gauges are not close to any
equivalent.

See the chart on the web page.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:

"N Cook" wrote in message

For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would they
be
UNC 6 ? and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

OK. The most common size is 6-32. 8-32 and 10-32 are also common. This is
AWG size 6, 8 and 10 all with 32 tpi threads.

Also 10-24 and 12-24 with 24 tpi are used.

See http://www.zytrax.com/tech/mech/threads.htm for more.

Now wait a sec.
If you're comparing AWG size with screw sizes as above ?
I think you have your wires crossed!..
#6 wire is larger than #10 wire..
6-32 is smaller than 10-32 screws.

just an observation I made once long ago.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

#6 wire is larger than #10 wire..

Which wire guage?

6-32 is smaller than 10-32 screws.

Correct. In fact see http://www.tecratools.com/pages/service/taps_dies.html
for the 24111 Tri-Tap Tool, which taps 6, 8 or 10 size holes at 32 tpi.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message

For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and

BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would they
be
UNC 6 ? and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

OK. The most common size is 6-32. 8-32 and 10-32 are also common. This is
AWG size 6, 8 and 10 all with 32 tpi threads.

Also 10-24 and 12-24 with 24 tpi are used.

See http://www.zytrax.com/tech/mech/threads.htm for more.

But are they what we call UNC ?
and the 40TPI ones ? only measured with a ruler as my thread gauge, in
inches, does not have 40TPI and the mm gauges are not close to any
equivalent.

UNC is a coarse thread. UNF is a fine thread. UNEF is an extra fine
thread. 2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32 are common, but many others
are prevalent as well, including the "odd" numbers, e.g. 3-48.

It's worth noting that 6-32 is a UNC thread while 10-32 is a UNF thread.
The "fine" version of a #6 screw is 40 TPI; the "coarse" version of a
#10 is 24 TPI.

And of course, it goes without saying that the obstinacy of my fellow
Americans, clinging absurdly to a ridiculously clumsy system of
measurement, is pathetic.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
And of course, it goes without saying that the obstinacy of my fellow
Americans, clinging absurdly to a ridiculously clumsy system of
measurement, is pathetic.

Only nation on earth still not using metric, no?

--
..

--
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"Bill S." wrote in message
In article , says...
For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and
BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would

they
be
UNC 6 ?
and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

Sounds like 6-32 and 4-40.

Years ago, I worked for an American computer equipment company, and used

have exactly the same problem with not being able to equate the screws
fitted to the enclosures, to anything available in the UK. I won myself a
right royal bollocking from the UK director of engineering, after I had

been
speaking on the phone to one of the design enginering staff in the U.S. I
had phoned him to ask if we could get a stock of the case screws sent over
to us. "Sure" he said. "I guess I could arrange that. What size are the

ones
you want ?" "Oh" said I, "about three sixteenths APF". "APF ?" said he.
"What's APF ?" "Why, American **** Fit of course !"

Well, I *was* new to the game and only young. I didn't know much about
America and the good people who live there, and just assumed that our

humour
was the same. Didn't do anything like it again though ...

Arfa

Perhaps APF screws in aeronautics
This flight would have flown over me , not that I would have been aware that
the pilot was hanging out of the cockpit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A20460782

"The subsequent inquiry revealed that the windscreen had been replaced just
24 hours before the flight, and a number of errors in the procedure resulted
in the wrong size bolts being used to fit the new window. Although the
difference in size was minimal, some 200th of an inch, it was enough to
cause the windscreen to blow out when the pressure differential became too
great between the cabin and outside atmosphere."

At least when I'm hunting for the 1% or less of "American" screws in my pile
of salvaged mm and BA screws the coarse pitch makes them stand out in
comparison. I still don't know if its safe to go out and get a pack of 6-32
and 4-40 UNC machine screws for American equipment, where someone has been
there before and not replaced all.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article yJN7i.70142$g63.58580@edtnps82,
"Homer J Simpson" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
And of course, it goes without saying that the obstinacy of my fellow
Americans, clinging absurdly to a ridiculously clumsy system of
measurement, is pathetic.

Only nation on earth still not using metric, no?

That's what I think, but not sure. Let's see, our cars now come with
speedometers that can be switched to indicate km/hr instead of mph, and
liquor is sold in liters instead of quarts. That's the sum total of
fifteen or twenty years' worth of effort to go metric.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"N Cook" wrote:

I still don't know if its safe to go out and get a pack of 6-32
and 4-40 UNC machine screws for American equipment, where someone has been
there before and not replaced all.

That's what sheet metal screws are for. Substitute 'em for anything!
Anyway, you can't just get one pack. You've got to have pan head, flat
head, oval head, button head, and socket head, at least -- not counting
different lengths.

Seriously though, Americans don't make consumer electronics anymore.
It's all made in China. Metric for sure.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
UNC is a coarse thread. UNF is a fine thread. UNEF is an extra fine
thread. 2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32 are common, but many others
are prevalent as well, including the "odd" numbers, e.g. 3-48.

We're fairly used to UNF and UNC in the UK as they were much used on cars
before metric came in - but only really in the larger sizes. For small
stuff Lucas ;-) stuck to BA.

But I still see AF and AC taps and dies around - are the two versions
still used? I realise there's not a vast difference - only basically
thread profile.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
UNC is a coarse thread. UNF is a fine thread. UNEF is an extra fine
thread. 2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32 are common, but many others
are prevalent as well, including the "odd" numbers, e.g. 3-48.

We're fairly used to UNF and UNC in the UK as they were much used on cars
before metric came in - but only really in the larger sizes. For small
stuff Lucas ;-) stuck to BA.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that you used to be in this mess with us.

But I still see AF and AC taps and dies around - are the two versions
still used? I realise there's not a vast difference - only basically
thread profile.

Terms with which I'm not familiar...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default American machine screw types (drifting OT)

In article ,
Bill S. wrote:

In article -
media.com, says...
And of course, it goes without saying that the obstinacy of my fellow
Americans, clinging absurdly to a ridiculously clumsy system of
measurement, is pathetic.

It should have gone without saying. But let me turn that on its head:

While the rest of the world clings pathetically to the idea of forcing
a single tyrannical system on everyone, Americans have freely embraced
the idea of duality. We have plenty of legacy equipment that still
works perfectly well and needs support, and when making new we can
choose whatever fits best. There are a few "clingers", but most of
us just saw the metric system as additional options to use at will,
not as a mandatory replacement. Mechanics have tools for both systems
and not only switch freely between them, but take extra advantage from
the wider range. A couple examples: a 12mm wrench will probably work
on that 1/2" bolt head that's partly rusted away; a 1/4" bolt will
probably fit that 6mm hole you just stripped out.

The bottom line: not only are Americans now fully fluent with metric
and decimal measurements, but we are also still fluent with fractions
and SAE, *and also* familiar with conversions and inter-relationships
between the systems. We have the best of both worlds and then some.

Fully fluent? Most Americans can't read a ruler anymore. Nor can they do
third-grade arithmetic, or construct a sentence in the English language.
You might be fluent, and I might be, but stupidity and ignorance are
rampant. Kids now can't even tell time on an analog clock, and don't
know what "clockwise" means.

And this is hardly a time to be calling other countries "tyrannical,"
while our administration is hell bent on absolute world domination.

Sheesh, hope I'm disagreeing without being disagreeable. Been under some
stress lately.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
We're fairly used to UNF and UNC in the UK as they were much used on
cars before metric came in - but only really in the larger sizes. For
small stuff Lucas ;-) stuck to BA.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that you used to be in this mess with us.

But I still see AF and AC taps and dies around - are the two versions
still used? I realise there's not a vast difference - only basically
thread profile.

Terms with which I'm not familiar...

American Fine and American Course.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
We're fairly used to UNF and UNC in the UK as they were much used on
cars before metric came in - but only really in the larger sizes. For
small stuff Lucas ;-) stuck to BA.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that you used to be in this mess with us.

But I still see AF and AC taps and dies around - are the two versions
still used? I realise there's not a vast difference - only basically
thread profile.

Terms with which I'm not familiar...

American Fine and American Course.

If those are predecessors to UNF and UNC, I don't think anyone's using
them anymore... The only other thread standard that we have that I know
about is the pipe thread, NPT.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bill S." wrote in message

The bottom line: not only are Americans now fully fluent with metric
and decimal measurements

Say what? Most Americans of the US variety wouldn't know a metre from a
kilogram.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bill S." wrote in message

The bottom line: not only are Americans now fully fluent with metric
and decimal measurements

Say what? Most Americans of the US variety wouldn't know a metre from a
kilogram.

Unfortunately, it's not confined to the U.S. Our kids in the UK are all the
same now also. Can't do any math without a calculator. If you ask if they
know their eight times table, they will say " 8 - 16 - 24 - 32 " and so on.
All well and good, but if you say to them " so what is five times eight ?"
they will say " 8 - 16 - 24 .... " only now they will add in counting on
their fingers until they get to 5 ... I see pieces in the local newspaper
written by new reporters, and have a hard time of making any sense of
anything they have written. They all speak with some dreadful accent that
they have learnt from watching Australian soaps, where the last syllable of
any sentence ends on an up-accent as though they are asking a question. The
few that don't do this, do the exact opposite, which makes them sound like
profoundly deaf people do when they speak. I went to a Grammar School, and
had what I thought was a pretty reasonable education. I came out of there
perhaps a little more literate and numerate than some of my friends who went
to schools which had a slightly lower academic standard, but I did not
consider myself anything other than at the top end of average. I certainly
wasn't Oxford or Cambridge material, and I knew many other kids who were
whole realms above me. But when my own kids went to school, and we started
to get into the homework help thing, and when they got interested in TV quiz
shows, and I was able to answer most of the questions without hesitation, I
gained a whole new respect from them. My two daughters who are now 20 and
22, still refer to me as a genius. Now I find it really sad that as things
should be improving, they are actually declining, and what I considered to
be an average intelligence, is now looked upon as genius. I wonder how they
would refer to someone who genuinely is that clever ? So it's not just a
U.S. thing.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:47:21 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

"Bill S." wrote in message

The bottom line: not only are Americans now fully fluent with metric
and decimal measurements

Say what? Most Americans of the US variety wouldn't know a metre from a
kilogram.

Hey, just yesterday I drove almost 40 kilograms to by a meter of
sugar.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

We're fairly used to UNF and UNC in the UK as they were much used on cars
before metric came in - but only really in the larger sizes. For small
stuff Lucas ;-) stuck to BA.

I started off with Whitworth, and later BA. Then we went to metric.

--
..

--
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article Nk38i.71499$g63.42617@edtnps82,
Homer J Simpson wrote:
We're fairly used to UNF and UNC in the UK as they were much used on
cars before metric came in - but only really in the larger sizes. For
small stuff Lucas ;-) stuck to BA.

I started off with Whitworth, and later BA. Then we went to metric.

I'd have thought BSW 'equivalents' to the smaller BA sizes rather rare?

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I started off with Whitworth, and later BA. Then we went to metric.

I'd have thought BSW 'equivalents' to the smaller BA sizes rather rare?

It depends on the 'class' of work you are doing.

--
..

--
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 1, 11:53 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Bill S. wrote:

In article -
media.com, says...
[...]

Who invented the metric system?

Sheesh, hope I'm disagreeing without being disagreeable. Been under some
stress lately.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

sparky wrote:

Who invented the metric system?

Goggle is your friend. Try it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

For just the odd missing screws/bolts situation.
It looks like the solution to this problem is someone in the UK to tie up
with someone in the USA and a packet of assorted small size UNC/UNF nuts and
bolts go surface mail one way and a packet of various small size BA mainly /
mm nuts and bolts goes back the other.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"N Cook" wrote:

For just the odd missing screws/bolts situation.
It looks like the solution to this problem is someone in the UK to tie up
with someone in the USA and a packet of assorted small size UNC/UNF nuts and
bolts go surface mail one way and a packet of various small size BA mainly /
mm nuts and bolts goes back the other.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Of course we use mostly American stuff in the U.S., but we can easily
get metric when we need it at the hardware store that supplies the
machine shop industry. Is the reverse not true? Have you English guys
asked around at a professional hardware supplier?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 2, 8:07 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
sparky wrote:

Who invented the metric system?

Goggle is your friend. Try it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I'm guessing that you do not know the answer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
Of course we use mostly American stuff in the U.S., but we can easily
get metric when we need it at the hardware store that supplies the
machine shop industry. Is the reverse not true? Have you English guys
asked around at a professional hardware supplier?

US hardware is quite rare outside N America.

--
..

--
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

sparky wrote:

I'm guessing that you do not know the answer.

Keep guessing.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 4, 8:44 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
sparky wrote:

I'm guessing that you do not know the answer.

Keep guessing.

You just confirmed that you do not know.

Would you like a hint?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
sparky wrote:

I'm guessing that you do not know the answer.

Keep guessing.

You just confirmed that you do not know.

Would you like a hint?

No. I find it VERY sad that morons like you can find and use Google
Groups to post ignorant questions on usenet, but are too damn lazy to
use the Google search engine.

Goodbye, Loser. Real newsreader software has kill files.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

On May 31, 2:07 pm, "N Cook" wrote:
For period 1970 to 2000, whatever they are, they are not very common in
Europe. Coarser thread , diam for diam, than the usual European mm and BA.
Common sizes are about 0.132 in outside diam. , pitch 32 TPI, would they be
UNC 6 ?
and 0.11 inch od and TPI about 40 , would they be 4 UNC ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

Yeah, 6-32 and 4-40 two very common thread sizes in US, even today.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , Michael A. Terrell
writes

wrote:
sparky wrote:

I'm guessing that you do not know the answer.

Keep guessing.

You just confirmed that you do not know.

Would you like a hint?

No. I find it VERY sad that morons like you can find and use Google
Groups to post ignorant questions on usenet, but are too damn lazy to
use the Google search engine.

Goodbye, Loser. Real newsreader software has kill files.

We can all 'Google' (although I find Yahoo is usually much more
informative). However, if everyone 'Googled', and found the exactly
answer they were looking for, these NGs would be extremely boring
places.

Rather than posting mindless stereotype replies like 'Google is your
friend', it would be much more courteous also to add a couple of useful
links, if only to show that you have at least some interest in the
question being asked. If you have no interest, and can't be bothered to
look up a few links to point the questioner in the right direction, why
bother responding at all?

Ian.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
sparky wrote:

[...]

Fine. I won't. Goodbye.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
sparky wrote:

I'm guessing that you do not know the answer.

Keep guessing.

You just confirmed that you do not know.

Would you like a hint?

No. I find it VERY sad that morons like you can find and use Google
Groups to post ignorant questions on usenet, but are too damn lazy to
use the Google search engine.

Goodbye, Loser. Real newsreader software has kill files.

I knew the answer long before I posted. I wanted people to get
message
as to where the metric system came from and then some IGNORANT
poster said something childish about google.

Goodbye,Old Chap

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Grounding Screw Sizes & Types redbrickhat Home Repair 15 December 14th 06 11:35 PM
Machine screw sizes? rrh UK diy 2 September 9th 06 12:24 PM
Where to get ONE 6-40 machine screw? Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 28 May 12th 06 06:53 PM
screw machine cams ??? d.d.machine Metalworking 3 July 11th 05 05:24 AM
where can I find this machine screw? Steve Knight Woodworking 34 March 26th 05 05:10 AM