Steve Knight

Default where can I find this machine screw?

I want a brass machine screw pan head or round head(prefer pan head) slotted
1/4-20 and the hard part 2.25" long. I can find 2" and 2.5" but I can only find
stainless steel in the 2.25" length.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Lew Hodgett

Steve Knight wrote:
I want a brass machine screw pan head or round head(prefer pan head) slotted
1/4-20 and the hard part 2.25" long. I can find 2" and 2.5" but I can only find
stainless steel in the 2.25" length.

How many do you need?

Can probably special order them if you are willing to buy 500/1,000
minimum and wait probably 6-8 weeks since the almost certainly come in
for off shore.

Any thing from 50-499 could be trimed in a lathe or maybe a screw machine.

Anything below 50 would be hack saw time.

HTH

Lew

Cut the 2.5" off at 2.25 or is this just spam?

Norman D. Crow

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Steve Knight wrote:
I want a brass machine screw pan head or round head(prefer pan head)

slotted
1/4-20 and the hard part 2.25" long. I can find 2" and 2.5" but I can

only find
stainless steel in the 2.25" length.

How many do you need?

Can probably special order them if you are willing to buy 500/1,000
minimum and wait probably 6-8 weeks since the almost certainly come in
for off shore.

Any thing from 50-499 could be trimed in a lathe or maybe a screw machine.

Anything below 50 would be hack saw time.

My first thought was hacksaw, or maybe even a grinder.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Diane Miller

www.fastenal.com

The following link is to the screw...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0152076

Eddie

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I want a brass machine screw pan head or round head(prefer pan head)

slotted
1/4-20 and the hard part 2.25" long. I can find 2" and 2.5" but I can only

find
stainless steel in the 2.25" length.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Cut the 2.5" off at 2.25 or is this just spam?

Spam.... ? Not in this case.

Teamcasa

Steve
Try one of these - very handy!
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...wboltshear.php

Dave

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I want a brass machine screw pan head or round head(prefer pan head)
slotted
1/4-20 and the hard part 2.25" long. I can find 2" and 2.5" but I can only
find
stainless steel in the 2.25" length.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

http://www.usenet.com
Steve Knight

Anything below 50 would be hack saw time.

My first thought was hacksaw, or maybe even a grinder.

I would use maybe 300 or so a year.
forget hacksaw I use a steel shear (G) but just the hassle and time to cut
them all and sand the ends and buff off the bur is something I could live
without.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:32:10 GMT, "Diane Miller" wrote:

www.fastenal.com

The following link is to the screw...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0152076

for some reason fastenal did not come up in google. I found them rigth befroe I
read this message. man they are spendy stainless is only .21 each.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Steve Knight
wrote:

I would use maybe 300 or so a year.
forget hacksaw I use a steel shear (G)

I use an angle grinder. It's one of the few ways I have of cutting
screws without needing to re-form the thread afterwards. If you're
doing a lot, make up a cutting plate with a row of threaded holes in
it. Choice of cutting disk is crucial though, for a neat cut.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:16:07 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

The following link is to the screw...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0152076

OUCH!

for some reason fastenal did not come up in google. I found them rigth befroe I
read this message. man they are spendy stainless is only .21 each.

Call and ask for bulk pricing. It's ALWAYS a whole lot cheaper.

--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------

John

Get it in 2.5 and trim down to 2.25??

John

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:47:00 -0800, Steve Knight
wrote:

I want a brass machine screw pan head or round head(prefer pan head) slotted
1/4-20 and the hard part 2.25" long. I can find 2" and 2.5" but I can only find
stainless steel in the 2.25" length.

Steve Knight

I use an angle grinder. It's one of the few ways I have of cutting
screws without needing to re-form the thread afterwards. If you're
doing a lot, make up a cutting plate with a row of threaded holes in
it. Choice of cutting disk is crucial though, for a neat cut.

you don't want to cut brass with a angle grinder. well maybe not it may just
clog up the wheels.
but I don't want to have to cut them to size it gets old quick after the first
100 or so (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:53:37 -0500, "No" wrote:

Are they really .82 EACH???

it's not a lot till you order say 100 then it's 82 bucks. I get boxes of 1" ones
for about 21. each. a little over double the length and quad the price.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:35:03 -0800, "Teamcasa" wrote:

Steve
Try one of these - very handy!
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...wboltshear.php

cool I knew there had to be something. do you hit it with a hammer?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:00:57 -0600, John wrote:

Get it in 2.5 and trim down to 2.25??

you offering to do 300 or so a year for me?? (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight

OUCH!

for some reason fastenal did not come up in google. I found them rigth befroe I
read this message. man they are spendy stainless is only .21 each.

Call and ask for bulk pricing. It's ALWAYS a whole lot cheaper.

I can get 2.5" long ones for .40 each. stainless about .21 each 2.25" long

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:21:42 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

I use an angle grinder. It's one of the few ways I have of cutting
screws without needing to re-form the thread afterwards. If you're
doing a lot, make up a cutting plate with a row of threaded holes in
it. Choice of cutting disk is crucial though, for a neat cut.

you don't want to cut brass with a angle grinder. well maybe not it may just
clog up the wheels.
but I don't want to have to cut them to size it gets old quick after the first
100 or so (G)

Make a jig and let your SWMBO hacksaw and file 'em.

--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------
www.diversify.com Colorful Website Development
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:38:09 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

I said:
Call and ask for bulk pricing. It's ALWAYS a whole lot cheaper.

I can get 2.5" long ones for .40 each. stainless about .21 each 2.25" long

But what'd they say about bulk pricing on 2.25" brass, the size you
want?

--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------
www.diversify.com Colorful Website Development
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:38:09 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

OUCH!

for some reason fastenal did not come up in google. I found them rigth befroe I
read this message. man they are spendy stainless is only .21 each.

Call and ask for bulk pricing. It's ALWAYS a whole lot cheaper.

I can get 2.5" long ones for .40 each. stainless about .21 each 2.25" long

Hell, they're brass. Jig it up on the bandsaw and cut 8 at once.
Sanding goes quickly. You or some kid you hire will be done in an
hour.

--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------
www.diversify.com Colorful Website Development
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:28:27 -0800, Steve Knight wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:00:57 -0600, John wrote:

Get it in 2.5 and trim down to 2.25??

you offering to do 300 or so a year for me?? (G)

With a milling machine and a jig, you could do it pretty quickly.
Block 2.25" thick, drilled and tapped. Screws in from the bottom, mill
the ends off. No muss, no fuss. Beats playing bandsaw games...

Dave Hinz

GerryG

Used something like that several decades ago, but haven't seen them since. The
one I used was a bit smaller, and we used it with a vise or press. Could cut a
number of screws at once.
GerryG

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:27:58 -0800, Steve Knight
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:35:03 -0800, "Teamcasa" wrote:

Steve
Try one of these - very handy!
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...wboltshear.php

cool I knew there had to be something. do you hit it with a hammer?

Steve Knight

Hell, they're brass. Jig it up on the bandsaw and cut 8 at once.
Sanding goes quickly. You or some kid you hire will be done in an
hour.

that's not a bad idea really bit I think I will stick with ss. I like panhead
over the round head and they are easy to get anywhere.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

With a milling machine and a jig, you could do it pretty quickly.
Block 2.25" thick, drilled and tapped. Screws in from the bottom, mill
the ends off. No muss, no fuss. Beats playing bandsaw games...

if I only had a milling machine (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:10:18 -0800, Steve Knight wrote:

With a milling machine and a jig, you could do it pretty quickly.
Block 2.25" thick, drilled and tapped. Screws in from the bottom, mill
the ends off. No muss, no fuss. Beats playing bandsaw games...

if I only had a milling machine (G)

How many a year are we talking about? And what part of the world are you
in? I've got a bench-top mill that I don't use, next to my big mill...

Steve Knight

How many a year are we talking about? And what part of the world are you
in? I've got a bench-top mill that I don't use, next to my big mill...

about 300 or so. here in Portland Oregon and I could use a mill. can you use
planes?
so many things I want to do so few tools (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Bill

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:13:58 -0800, Steve Knight wrote:

Anything below 50 would be hack saw time.

My first thought was hacksaw, or maybe even a grinder.

I would use maybe 300 or so a year.
forget hacksaw I use a steel shear (G) but just the hassle and time to cut
them all and sand the ends and buff off the bur is something I could live
without.

So don't. Put a nut on before cutting. After cutting run the nut off.
There, the thread is back where it's supposed to be (or nearly enough to
use).
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:50:51 -0800, Steve Knight wrote:

How many a year are we talking about? And what part of the world are you
in? I've got a bench-top mill that I don't use, next to my big mill...

about 300 or so. here in Portland Oregon and I could use a mill. can you use
planes?

The mill is in Milwaukee and I'd think you could find as good of a mill
locally for less than shipping would cost. But, let me mock up a jig
and see if it will do what I think it will do before we go further.
Did you say these are stainless, or brass screws that you're trying to trim?

Dave

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:21:08 -0500, Bill wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:13:58 -0800, Steve Knight wrote:

Anything below 50 would be hack saw time.

My first thought was hacksaw, or maybe even a grinder.

I would use maybe 300 or so a year.
forget hacksaw I use a steel shear (G) but just the hassle and time to cut
them all and sand the ends and buff off the bur is something I could live
without.

So don't. Put a nut on before cutting. After cutting run the nut off.
There, the thread is back where it's supposed to be (or nearly enough to
use).

That's what I'm thinking with a drilled/tapped block, it'll form the
thread back into shape when you back the screws out of it. Steve, will
the ends of these bolts be visible in your finished product? If
there's a burr there, will that need to be cleaned up?

Dave
Steve Knight

That's what I'm thinking with a drilled/tapped block, it'll form the
thread back into shape when you back the screws out of it. Steve, will
the ends of these bolts be visible in your finished product? If
there's a burr there, will that need to be cleaned up?

no you won't see them so as long as they thread in easily it does not matter
what they look like.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes