Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need 12 volt ac to 24 volt ac transformer

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Assuming that you don't need isolation, just use a tranny with either two
12v secondaries, or one centre tapped 24v secondary, as an auto transformer.
Connect the two windings in series ( if it's a centre tapped 24v winding,
they already are anyway ), then connect your 12v AC across one of the
windings. 24v will then appear across the pair of windings, so one leg will
be common to both input and output. The primary would be unused, but it
would be a good idea to just tie its ends together with a light load - say a
10k resistor. you could connect a line voltage neon indicator across it as
well, just to show that it's powered.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:18:32 -0500, me wrote:

wrote in news:gjou23dncnb7ne7u2qcfuaf6nk031r1at7@
4ax.com:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Where are you getting your 12V? You could use a voltage doubler to get
around 24 volts dc from your 12 volts ac...

Its for a 12 volt ac pathway lighting system (300 watt ac
transformer). 2 or 3 of the lights I want to use are 24 volts.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim writes:

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:18:20 GMT,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Here's a voltage doubling rectifier:

D1
o-----|--||-----|-----o +16V
| _|_ +
12VAC | --- C1
rms | |
o----- )---------+-----o 0V
| _|_ +
| --- C2
| D2 |
|--||-----|-----o -16V

The unloaded output voltage is around 33V, but under load you may get
closer to your target.

- Franc Zabkar

OR you could get one of those 220 to 110 travel adaptors and wire the
110 side to 12 VAC and get 24 VAC out the other side.

They may have too much winding resistance. And of course, must be
true transformers, not those triac things that are for hair dryers.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

In article ,
says...
Tim writes:

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:18:20 GMT,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Here's a voltage doubling rectifier:

D1
o-----|--||-----|-----o +16V
| _|_ +
12VAC | --- C1
rms | |
o----- )---------+-----o 0V
| _|_ +
| --- C2
| D2 |
|--||-----|-----o -16V

The unloaded output voltage is around 33V, but under load you may get
closer to your target.

- Franc Zabkar

OR you could get one of those 220 to 110 travel adaptors and wire the
110 side to 12 VAC and get 24 VAC out the other side.

They may have too much winding resistance. And of course, must be
true transformers, not those triac things that are for hair dryers.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

A real converter is just a transformer. We always use 'em backwards to
step up voltages for our toys. I know that some newer ones may use
semi's to do the job, but I did not suggest that type be used.

- Tim -
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim wrote:

A real converter is just a transformer. We always use 'em backwards to
step up voltages for our toys. I know that some newer ones may use
semi's to do the job, but I did not suggest that type be used.

You also didn't warn him that if he chose the wrong type it would go
up in flames.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 01:52:30 GMT, Tim wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:57:41 GMT, Tim wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:18:20 GMT, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Here's a voltage doubling rectifier:

D1
o-----|--||-----|-----o +16V
| _|_ +
12VAC | --- C1
rms | |
o----- )---------+-----o 0V
| _|_ +
| --- C2
| D2 |
|--||-----|-----o -16V

The unloaded output voltage is around 33V, but under load you may get
closer to your target.

- Franc Zabkar

OR you could get one of those 220 to 110 travel adaptors and wire the
110 side to 12 VAC and get 24 VAC out the other side.

- Tim -

That sounds the the perfect idea.

Thanks

I rather think not, as the power rating of such an item is highly unlikely
to be anywhere near the 300 watts or so that you require. At 24 volts, that
equates to more than 12 amps ...

Arfa

300 Watts? He said 500ma right? 24V x .5A = 12W (roughly)

- Tim -

Yep 500 ma (actually the transformer supplied say 800 ma) for some 24
volt rice lights. I purchased some converters on ebay for 6.75 (doubt
they are anything more than transformers) 50 watts each plenty for my
app.

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
a...
In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:57:41 GMT, Tim wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:18:20 GMT,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can
find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to
24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Here's a voltage doubling rectifier:

D1
o-----|--||-----|-----o +16V
| _|_ +
12VAC | --- C1
rms | |
o----- )---------+-----o 0V
| _|_ +
| --- C2
| D2 |
|--||-----|-----o -16V

The unloaded output voltage is around 33V, but under load you may get
closer to your target.

- Franc Zabkar

OR you could get one of those 220 to 110 travel adaptors and wire the
110 side to 12 VAC and get 24 VAC out the other side.

- Tim -

That sounds the the perfect idea.

Thanks

I rather think not, as the power rating of such an item is highly
unlikely
to be anywhere near the 300 watts or so that you require. At 24 volts,
that
equates to more than 12 amps ...

Arfa

300 Watts? He said 500ma right? 24V x .5A = 12W (roughly)

- Tim -

Indeed. I think I mis-understood his second post where he was talking about
the actual lamps that he intended to use and the - quote - " (300 watt ac
transformer) " I wrongly assumed that as he was talking about 12v and 24v
lamps, and that the 12v ones had a 300 watt transformer to power them, we
must have been talking halogens at 20 or 50 watts apiece. If the (few) 24v
ones only require 500mA, then a transformer-based 'power converter', as you
suggest, would certainly do the job. Sorry for any confusion.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:18:32 -0500, me wrote:

wrote in news:gjou23dncnb7ne7u2qcfuaf6nk031r1at7@
4ax.com:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Where are you getting your 12V? You could use a voltage doubler to get
around 24 volts dc from your 12 volts ac...

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Its for a 12 volt ac pathway lighting system (300 watt ac
transformer). 2 or 3 of the lights I want to use are 24 volts.

Most decent transformer manufacturers supply transformers with 2 primaries &
2 secondaries to make the transformer as versatile as possible.

The primaries (which you don't need for what you want to do) can be in
series for 230V and parallel for 115V, the secondaries can also be used in
the same way so get 12V secondaries and wire them in series and use them as
a 12V to 24V auto transformer.