Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

Default Need 12 volt ac to 24 volt ac transformer

In article ,
says...
Tim writes:

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:18:20 GMT,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Here's a voltage doubling rectifier:

D1
o-----|--||-----|-----o +16V
| _|_ +
12VAC | --- C1
rms | |
o----- )---------+-----o 0V
| _|_ +
| --- C2
| D2 |
|--||-----|-----o -16V

The unloaded output voltage is around 33V, but under load you may get
closer to your target.

- Franc Zabkar

OR you could get one of those 220 to 110 travel adaptors and wire the
110 side to 12 VAC and get 24 VAC out the other side.

They may have too much winding resistance. And of course, must be
true transformers, not those triac things that are for hair dryers.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

A real converter is just a transformer. We always use 'em backwards to
step up voltages for our toys. I know that some newer ones may use
semi's to do the job, but I did not suggest that type be used.

- Tim -