Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Need 12 volt ac to 24 volt ac transformer

wrote in message
Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Assuming that you don't need isolation, just use a tranny with either two
12v secondaries, or one centre tapped 24v secondary, as an auto transformer.
Connect the two windings in series ( if it's a centre tapped 24v winding,
they already are anyway ), then connect your 12v AC across one of the
windings. 24v will then appear across the pair of windings, so one leg will
be common to both input and output. The primary would be unused, but it
would be a good idea to just tie its ends together with a light load - say a
10k resistor. you could connect a line voltage neon indicator across it as
well, just to show that it's powered.

Arfa