Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default Need 12 volt ac to 24 volt ac transformer

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:18:32 -0500, me wrote:

wrote in news:gjou23dncnb7ne7u2qcfuaf6nk031r1at7@
4ax.com:

Hi I need to convert 12 volts ac to 24 volts ac for an outdoor
lighting project low amperage, say 500 ma. I am looking for a small
boosting transformer on the cheap. Any suggestions on where I can find
something like this? Alternately I could use a cheap 12 volt ac to 24
volt dc converter. Google has turned up endless garbage for me.

Thanks

Where are you getting your 12V? You could use a voltage doubler to get
around 24 volts dc from your 12 volts ac...

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Its for a 12 volt ac pathway lighting system (300 watt ac
transformer). 2 or 3 of the lights I want to use are 24 volts.

Most decent transformer manufacturers supply transformers with 2 primaries &
2 secondaries to make the transformer as versatile as possible.

The primaries (which you don't need for what you want to do) can be in
series for 230V and parallel for 115V, the secondaries can also be used in
the same way so get 12V secondaries and wire them in series and use them as
a 12V to 24V auto transformer.