Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

Default help with pioneer fault codes plz?

I have a Pioneer system with a tape deck (CT-P930WR) which refuses to
play tapes. Upon pressing the play button, it seems to attempt to play
each side of both decks unsucessfully. While this is happening, the
yellow led above the APSC button flashes 8 times. I assume this is a
fault code that may help to reveal the problem...? I realise this is
quite ancient by todays standards, but I have a couple of tapes I
would love to transfer to CD, and this machine is the only thing I
have with a 'line out'. It would be great if I could get it working
again, if only briefly.
Anyone possibly know what the code might mean?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cliff Top

Not sure if it'll be a fault code. Usually if a belt is slipping and
doesn't shift the mechanism from mode to mode quick enough, the micro will
detect the 'error' condition.
Its also worth checking the switches along the top edge of the cassette
since corroded contacts/ contact bounce will also cause problems

AW

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a Pioneer system with a tape deck (CT-P930WR) which refuses to
play tapes. Upon pressing the play button, it seems to attempt to play
each side of both decks unsucessfully. While this is happening, the
yellow led above the APSC button flashes 8 times. I assume this is a
fault code that may help to reveal the problem...? I realise this is
quite ancient by todays standards, but I have a couple of tapes I
would love to transfer to CD, and this machine is the only thing I
have with a 'line out'. It would be great if I could get it working
again, if only briefly.
Anyone possibly know what the code might mean?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a Pioneer system with a tape deck (CT-P930WR) which refuses to
play tapes. Upon pressing the play button, it seems to attempt to play
each side of both decks unsucessfully. While this is happening, the
yellow led above the APSC button flashes 8 times. I assume this is a
fault code that may help to reveal the problem...? I realise this is
quite ancient by todays standards, but I have a couple of tapes I
would love to transfer to CD, and this machine is the only thing I
have with a 'line out'. It would be great if I could get it working
again, if only briefly.
Anyone possibly know what the code might mean?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

I agree - belts the most likely problem.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

"Cliff Top" wrote in message
Not sure if it'll be a fault code. Usually if a belt is slipping and
doesn't shift the mechanism from mode to mode quick enough, the micro will
detect the 'error' condition.
Its also worth checking the switches along the top edge of the cassette
since corroded contacts/ contact bounce will also cause problems

AW

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:55:06 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

I agree - belts the most likely problem.

Mark Z.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I checked the switches and they seem fine.
The belts, (of which I only see 1 per deck) seem fine too. The pinch
roller moves into position, capstan rotates, BUT the spool drive
sprockets(?) are locked in position and do not rotate.
I'm struggling to recall whether both decks finally failed at exactly
the same time, but I do remember a gradual overall failure.
ie. click click clickety play! click click clickety No-play

Any more ideas?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote:

I agree - belts the most likely problem.

Mark Z.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I checked the switches and they seem fine.
The belts, (of which I only see 1 per deck) seem fine too. The pinch
roller moves into position, capstan rotates, BUT the spool drive
sprockets(?) are locked in position and do not rotate.
I'm struggling to recall whether both decks finally failed at exactly
the same time, but I do remember a gradual overall failure.
ie. click click clickety play! click click clickety No-play

Any more ideas?

Look inside at the mechanism when the operation is supposed to start. Is the
motor pulley rotating? Often the motor rotates but the flywheels don't turn
because the belt(s) is somewhat slack. The flywheels are supposed to turn
gears which lift the mech into place, therefore if a belt slips, the mech
locks up, and you get the clicking as the unit keeps re-trying to load.

Alternatively, the motor might be bad - same symptom. Sometimes if the motor
has shorted there will also be an open resistor in the power supply.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

Look inside at the mechanism when the operation is supposed to start. Is the
motor pulley rotating? Often the motor rotates but the flywheels don't turn
because the belt(s) is somewhat slack. The flywheels are supposed to turn
gears which lift the mech into place, therefore if a belt slips, the mech
locks up, and you get the clicking as the unit keeps re-trying to load.

Alternatively, the motor might be bad - same symptom. Sometimes if the motor
has shorted there will also be an open resistor in the power supply.

Mark Z.

Thanks Mark,
Belts seem fine, lots of stuff turning... apart from the tape spool
drives. I can't turn these by hand, so I assume they are locked until
everything alse moves into place... and that isn't quite happening.
From what you said, it looks like a broken/worn-out part jamming the
mechanism. I'll look into it some more.

Cheers,

Dave.

Panasonic VCR Fault Codes john UK diy 6 July 13th 05 07:10 PM
Sony fault codes? ph12 Electronics Repair 1 July 2nd 04 11:38 AM
Potterton Surima LED fault codes Jerry. UK diy 3 April 24th 04 04:14 PM
Potterton Envoy 40 - Fault codes Dougie Smith UK diy 3 March 1st 04 10:38 AM
fault codes for indesit washing machine Jackie Carupie UK diy 1 September 9th 03 09:42 PM